A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,052
Currently Running With Scissors:
661 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Free pattern: Reverse (Or not reverse) Pinwheel Blanket KAL  (Read 4746 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

TkRainy

Everybody wants a big ol' slice of a little pie

View Profile WWW
« on: July 10, 2013 08:02:44 PM »

So I decided to knit blankets for a few people for xmas. I am knitting my bf one for his bday soon, because it's for winter and I'd rather get it to him before winter is half over. I figured we could do a KAL because (1) how many people have knit blankets? and (2) it's an easy way to start! I wanted a pattern that was easy, I mean SUPER SIMPLE, but it needed some kind of pretty thing going on. Like, the decreases and yarn overs in this blanket. Here's a picture of a finished one:

and here is the link to the pattern: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/reverse-pinwheel-blanket

For those of you who want to knit a pinwheel blanket from the inside, here is a link to that tutorial as well. http://web.archive.org/web/20080404200224/http://www.knitlist.com/00gift/round-baby-blanket.htm

I've already casted on. It doesn't really specify how big the skeins of yarn used is, so I just got a pound of forest green acrylic yarn. Hopefully it's enough, I'm using bigger needles and I'm making these blankets for adults, so, we'll see how big this one turns out and if 1 lb of yarn is enough! Here's the unholy mess of mine right now:

EDIT:

My blanket was twisted, so after a few days of thinking about it I'm going to start over and knit it from the inside out, instead of the outside in. I'm still going to post here, though, and I'll post a link to a regular pinwheel blanket for anyone else who wants to join knitting a reverse or a regular pinwheel blanket.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013 12:00:41 PM by TkRainy » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Trekky
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013 02:48:09 AM »

This sounds like a great idea!  I think I might just make one for my new niece (who is due in November).  I like the fact that you start with the outside and work your way in.  I've made a couple of Op Art blankets, and as you get to the long rows at the end it is a big of a drag, as by that point you just want the project to be finished!

How many stitches have you cast on?  I see on ravelry some people have cast on larger numbers than the original pattern.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://craftytrekky.blogspot.com/

I have lots of train tickets (I get the train most days), if anyone wants some for papercrafting just send me a PM Smiley
TkRainy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013 09:59:26 PM »

I've only cast on 450, but I'm using bigger needles, size US 9. I've gotten to row 7 today, would have gotten farther but we went out to a movie and dinner. I'm really hoping that 450 will turn out to be a good size... I need to make this one by the end of August, then another one by xmas plus a different kind of blanket by xmas. Then another one for my sister, but she usually doesn't get my xmas presents to me until midsummer, so, I'm hoping I'll have some more time for hers.

I also don't have a job, though, so I do have plenty of time. When I get a job, I'll spend a lot of time on the bus getting to and from it so I'll have time there too... Hopefully that will be SOON! Then I won't feel bad spending all this money on yarn!

Also, here's a progress pic:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Trekky

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013 11:44:27 PM »

Looks good!  I ordered lots of yarn yesterday (there was 20% off - to hell with the destash!!!  Cheesy).  I was thinking of casting on 660 stitches, and making it a multicoloured blanket.  Now I just want my yarn to arrive so I can get started!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have lots of train tickets (I get the train most days), if anyone wants some for papercrafting just send me a PM Smiley
TkRainy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2013 05:02:41 PM »

So I went back to the page and actually LOOKED at it, it says the finished size of the blanket is about 70-80 cms. That's 27.5-31.5 inches. Tiny. So, I AM knitting mine with bigger needles, but this will still be a lap blanket. Which is fine by me, I'd rather start out with a smaller blanket before trying something any bigger. I'll have to decide whether I still want to make 2 other blankets by xmas though, since I would rather those ones be bigger.

EDIT:

So it's taking me about 15-20 minutes per row still. I'm done with the border and 6 eyelet rows, so I've only done 24 rows but I didn't work on it for a couple of days because I was working on some clay stuff. I'll continue posting progress pics and letting y'all know how long it's taking for me to do rows, for your own feedback.

With the garter stitch, it took me 40 minutes per row, so now that it's all knit from here it's MUCH faster! I hated the garter stitch... But I'm happy with seeing my results. Each new eyelet row does wonders for me... I'm glad I don't get bored with just knit!

Edit: Here's a pic:
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013 03:52:29 PM by TkRainy » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Trekky

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2013 08:34:10 AM »

Looking good!  Great idea to switch to bigger needles.  The yarn I ordered has arrived, and I've cast on 660 stitches.  I've only done 4 rows (I really, really hope there isn't a twist hiding somewhere!).  This is a photo before I joined it up.  I'm hoping this will be my easy tv knit project. 

Because I quite like numbers I've made a spreadsheet to track my progress. The first column is how many stitches are on each row (because you drop 10 every other row, I just averaged it out as 5 per row).  And then the second column is the cumulative total.  For the big rows at the start, it is easy to think you are not getting anywhere, but by keeping track this way, I can think 'yeah I've done a 1000 stitches today' - hurrah!)  It does mean that I know that because I cast on 660 stitches, I will knit just under 44,000 to finish it!  Smiley  And at the end I can plot a graph of stitches against time (yep, I said I liked numbers!!!  Grin)

I'm looking forward to this garter stitch section to be finish too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TkRainy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013 08:38:53 AM »

Well, I'm really disappointed. There's a twist in my blanket. I've spent over 20 hours on it before figuring that out. I may as well start from the inside in order to keep this from happening again... because if it ever happens again I don't even know what I'm going to do. Probably suffocate something small and furry and deserving of a good life. I really really don't want to start the blanket quick and end up taking forever on the rows, but at least I can see if it's big enough this way, I guess...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Trekky

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2013 09:26:04 AM »

That is rubbish!  You were doing great too. 

I did think about knitting the garter section straight, and joining in the round after that (and just sewing the join) but I go brave and started in the round.

Good luck on the restart.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TkRainy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2013 11:57:20 AM »

So Trekky how are you doing? I haven't restarted yet because I'm dreading ripping all those stitches out. I think I am going to get to work on it today, though! I'm still really excited about knitting a blanket. I kept complaining to my boyfriend about having to restart it and he said "Well you don't HAVE to make me a blanket..." I think he got the wrong idea! All those stitches... It's going to take forever! Depending on how long this takes me, I might down grade my mothers knit presents to a couple of pairs of socks, another new thing I haven't tried yet but am dying to do. She can't take big things home with her anyways, she flies down here every xmas.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Trekky

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2013 04:29:13 AM »

I've done 23 rows (and have been changing colours!).  It looks like I've hardly made any progress, but according to my handy spreadsheet ( Cheesy) in the stitch count stakes I'm over a quarter of the way there! The rows are starting to feel a bit quicker.

I definitely think that the cast on is the worst bit of this blanket, so I can see why you are putting it off. Just give yourself plenty of time, and find a point in the day with no distractions!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Simon Montefiore Talks About Sashenka
Susan RoAne Talks About Face to Face
Arianna Huffington Talks About Huffington Post Complete Guide to Blogging
Allegra Huston Talks About Love Child
Kathi Appelt Offers Readers Some Words of Wisdom
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...