A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 296,740
Currently Running With Scissors:
630 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What type of fabric should I be using for baby clothes?  (Read 934 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ninjaturtlegal
« on: July 09, 2013 11:22:04 AM »

I see all these wonderful and delightfully cheery fabrics, and to me they just scream "baby clothes!". Upon further examination, there are warnings saying not for children's clothes or children's sleepwear. What am I supposed to be using? Are they irritating to babies skin? Is that why is suggests not to use them? I am so confused. I really want to start making cute little things for my baby now, so I don't get overwhelmed later.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lo{ve}
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013 03:40:58 PM »

The reason the fabric says it's not suitable for children's clothing is because it is not flame resistant. Meaning, if a child is wearing a garment made out of this and reaches over a candle or some sort of open flame the fabric is more likely to go up in flames. The company basically says this to avoid law suits and it's really up to you if you think your baby will be near a risky flame. This fabric also means (God forbid) that if there was a house fire, the child would go up in flames much more quickly. It's harder to find fabric that says it is suitable for children's clothing but they are out there, even though washing with fabric softener can remove the safety chemicals added. I also think this is usually geared towards smaller children who don't know yet to stay away from a flame or who couldn't get themself out of a burning house. Like I said it's up to you and how closely you will watch over your child, but remember, there's always risks for everything!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ninjaturtlegal
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013 04:07:25 PM »

Thank you! That is very informative. I am going to have to think a little more about fabrics to use. I just thought it was because it would cause rashes or something.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
meleriffic
Global Moderator
Clothing Moderator
Toys, Dolls, & Playthings Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013 08:08:03 PM »

I just use basic cotton. There are specific fabrics for apparel though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
FriendlyJas
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013 11:47:29 AM »

As a mother of 5, I can tell you that I ignore that little label. And all the other people in the fabric store ignore it, too. It just means that fabric doesn't have creepy chemicals on it that keep the baby from spontaneously combusting. The only "approved" fabric is nasty feeling unnatural stuff that costs twice and much and is not even close to being as cute.

Quilting cotton, jersey, flannel, shirting fabric- all make great baby clothes fabric. Linen- not so much. It is scratchy and makes them cry. Silky fabrics and minky fabric- while they feel nice, are completely disgusting when spit up upon.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ninjaturtlegal
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013 04:38:33 PM »

As a mother of 5, I can tell you that I ignore that little label. And all the other people in the fabric store ignore it, too. It just means that fabric doesn't have creepy chemicals on it that keep the baby from spontaneously combusting. The only "approved" fabric is nasty feeling unnatural stuff that costs twice and much and is not even close to being as cute.

Quilting cotton, jersey, flannel, shirting fabric- all make great baby clothes fabric. Linen- not so much. It is scratchy and makes them cry. Silky fabrics and minky fabric- while they feel nice, are completely disgusting when spit up upon.

By jersey, do you mean knit? I have a lot of that laying around, and some really cute stuff too. My baby is due in 3 months, and I have this fabric with what seems like some kind of insulator to keep it warm, with these whales and anchors on it. I can make us matching hoodies. OOOO So cute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Kate Bosworth Perfects Her Daytime Polish in Printed Shorts
The Perfect Threads For The Beach
Wildfox 2013 At Mercedes Benz Fashion Week Swim, Miami Beach
Suboo 2013 At Mercedes Benz Fashion Week Swim, Miami Beach
Luli Fama 2013 At Mercedes Benz Fashion Week Swim, Miami Beach
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...