A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 296,658
Currently Running With Scissors:
489 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Believe! Finally a successful print with the Yudu!  (Read 1513 times)
Tags for this thread: yudu , craftster_best_of_2013  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

luckdragon
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: July 08, 2013 02:09:40 PM »

So, I have had a Yudu machine for several years and it has been a source of frustration every time I tried to screen print with it.  I have wasted unknown amounts of money on the capillary sheets, spent endless hours looking at youtube videos - all to no avail.  I just couldn't figure out how other people were making this thing work!! Either the sheet won't stick properly, the image won't burn properly - UGH!  I had pulled it out again for the fabric print swap and was able to make prints, but still not what I wanted.  They were not crisp and I couldn't get the detail that I wanted.

So, finally I decided to try liquid emulsion.  Again, spent lots of time looking for what supplies I would need and how to do the process.  SO MUCH EASIER!!  This is the result of my 2nd screen with the new technique:

My daughter saw a t-shirt at a boutique that had a silhouette of a daschund with wings and a unicorn horn and loved it.  I thought - it can be made!  That was probably 3 years ago, but I hadn't forgotten.  I purchased the image of the French bulldog with wings from etsy seller Graphique.  Then I added the unicorn horn in Corel Paint Shop.  To get the gray shades, you set the color depth down to 16, up the contrast, then save as halftones (changes the image to dots like on a newspaper).  Then I added the words.

For the screen, a single layer of photo emulsion (get a scoop coater).  Let dry for about 1.5 hrs in the yudu with the fan on.  Burned for 9 minutes on the Yudu.  I think it came out great and I'm so excited I finally got a successful print!  This thing is going on t-shirts, tote bags, skirts! Cheesy  What do you think?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 in 2012 (24/50)
Looking for a vintage magazine (1974 - 1978) that has a fabric nativity set w/ people and animals. An example: http://www.craftster.org/pictures/showphoto.php?photo=440861&ppuser=143144.
Averia

Floppsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013 02:11:44 PM »

I want one! It's adorable!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

underthemountain
Tutorial Contributor

This Shall Be For Music

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013 02:15:02 PM »

That's awesome Luck!  Great tee!!  I got some liquid emulsion, but haven't gotten around to trying it yet.  Good to know that it works.  What did you use ink-wise?  Did you go water-based and if so what brand did you use?
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013 02:37:28 PM by underthemountain » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hi! I'm looking for a spinner to transform my awesome fiber into yarn for me....have some fantastic jewelry and commercially purchased fiber for trade. my etsy
Live aloha
luckdragon

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013 02:56:31 PM »

I believe I got the scoop coater from silkscreeningsuppli es.com.  I am using water based ink - actually still using the yudu ink.  I have some speedball water based ink as well, but I haven't tried it yet.  The other problem I had - I didn't know that the ink can go bad but apparently it can.  I had a bottle that got all globby and smelled terrible.   Tongue
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013 02:57:29 PM by luckdragon » THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 in 2012 (24/50)
Looking for a vintage magazine (1974 - 1978) that has a fabric nativity set w/ people and animals. An example: http://www.craftster.org/pictures/showphoto.php?photo=440861&ppuser=143144.
LimeRiot
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Sublime

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013 04:31:09 PM »

I love it!! It looks like something you'd buy at a hip boutique for some crazy amount of money! Great great job. Well worth the effort.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest!
My Blog!

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
underthemountain
Tutorial Contributor

This Shall Be For Music

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013 05:04:21 PM »

I believe I got the scoop coater from silkscreeningsuppli es.com.  I am using water based ink - actually still using the yudu ink.  I have some speedball water based ink as well, but I haven't tried it yet.  The other problem I had - I didn't know that the ink can go bad but apparently it can.  I had a bottle that got all globby and smelled terrible.   Tongue

Cool!  Thanks for the info.  I'm going to order a scoop coater I haven't even opened my yudu box, but I'm gonna--esp now after seeing what you've made.  I want to do a riff off of the Obama Hope poster.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hi! I'm looking for a spinner to transform my awesome fiber into yarn for me....have some fantastic jewelry and commercially purchased fiber for trade. my etsy
Live aloha
JenniferSavage
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013 05:13:13 PM »

This is adorable! I love it  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I can make that!" has been the start of more misadventures than I can count Cheesy
Pinterest - http://pinterest.com/ShesASavage

My username was previously MyBabyIsACommunist!
luckdragon

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2013 06:18:26 PM »

Oh, one more tip - put lots of weight on top of the yudu when burning the screen.  You want the screen right up against the stencil.

Cool!  Thanks for the info.  I'm going to order a scoop coater I haven't even opened my yudu box, but I'm gonna--esp now after seeing what you've made.  I want to do a riff off of the Obama Hope poster.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 in 2012 (24/50)
underthemountain
Tutorial Contributor

This Shall Be For Music

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2013 06:46:03 PM »

Oh, one more tip - put lots of weight on top of the yudu when burning the screen.  You want the screen right up against the stencil.

Thanks Luck!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Live aloha
Weddingstar
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2013 10:46:21 AM »

This is so adorable! Great job Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Engrave Your Drinking Glasses
How to Decorate a Shadow Box
How to Tie the Sheet Bend Knot
Where Is the Best Glass Blowing Museum
The History of Glass Blowing
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...