A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,713
Currently Running With Scissors:
562 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My new little lady <3  (Read 1404 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

najaorama
Tutorial Contributor

My kung fu is strong today!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: July 07, 2013 07:32:34 PM »

So I have fiddled with drop spindle spinning which I love (and wrote my psychology research final paper on as mindfulness practice) and then this weekend I stumbled on this gem for just $200. I guess its an indian head. I gave the wood some oil love but other than that it was ready to go.
No reason for this post other than I'm giddy and have to share with people who will get it.
After some youtube-ing I am already off. I have to admit there is a learning curve but I just love it. So ingenious.

And it has a cast iron wheel.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Go to your bosom, knock there, and see what your heart doth know." WS Measure for Measure

www.najadruva.com
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013 08:23:07 PM »

What a gorgeous wheel!!  Congratulations!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Melladh
Jolly doomsday prophet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013 11:22:33 PM »

really cool, grats! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That's my lab table and this is my work-stool. And over there is my intergalactic spaceship! And here's where I keep assorted lengths of wire."
nikschaf
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013 04:18:00 PM »

What a pretty wheel!  Love it!!  And I'm loving the cast iron wheel.  Is that a leather drive belt? Is the wheel an antique?

I ask, because just a couple of weeks ago I bought a new treadle-driven sweetie.  Not a spinning wheel, but a treadle sewing machine, and the cast iron wheel and leather drive belt are very similar to what's on my sewing machine!  Whoever built your wheel must've been very familiar with treadle sewing machines and used their mechanism as a model -- and  maybe the parts, too!

eta: (and forgive me for slightly hijacking your post, but seeing your wheel inspired me) I thought I'd throw in a photo of my sewing machine (cabinet currently closed) to show the treadle.  The wheel is off to the right, so a different orientation than on your wheel.  But gets me to thinking, those sewing machine treadle bases can often be found easily on Craigslist, etc., without the sewing machine head installed.  People sometimes make those into tables, but I'll bet a very clever person could take a treadle sewing machine base and somehow make themselves a spinning wheel, if they looked at your wheel as an example.  Those old treadle bases are often not expensive.  I paid only $25 for my entire sewing machine.  Also, if it's a leather belt and you ever need advice about replacing it, let me know.  I had to replace the leather belt on my sewing machine.  Wasn't too hard but helps to have someone talk you through it.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2013 04:35:26 PM by nikschaf » THIS ROCKS   Logged
nikschaf
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013 04:41:15 PM »

I also have to say, the shape of the flyer on your wheel is so pretty!!  I love how it tapers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
najaorama
Tutorial Contributor

My kung fu is strong today!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2013 08:34:33 PM »

It is a leather belt.

Your machine is a beauty too. I collect antique Singers but I don't have a treadle one yet.

I saw instructions online for making a treadle machine a spinning wheel.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Go to your bosom, knock there, and see what your heart doth know." WS Measure for Measure

www.najadruva.com
nikschaf
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2013 12:56:34 PM »

Cool!  Folks are very clever with how to convert things.  I'd heard about converting a treadle machine to a lathe, but not a spinning wheel.  Awesome!  The treadling of your pretty spinning wheel might convince you to find a Singer treadle sewing machine.  Really relaxing!  :-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Meet the Post: Q&A with WorldViews Bloggers
Break the Cycle and Never Go Back
What Does the Second Amendment Actually Mean?
Dr. Henry Cloud Offers the Key to Success to Continually Move Forward
Can You Fall Back in Love with Your Spouse?
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...