A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 296,583
Currently Running With Scissors:
585 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Hatter - old and new  (Read 525 times)
Tags for this thread: alice_in_wonderland , mad_hatter  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Onyxnox
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: July 07, 2013 09:52:18 AM »

I have been trying to find Citrasolv for the last little while, to work with image transfers.  It is not readily available as the concentrate in my city.  I tried one of the stores listed on the website as carrying their products but they no longer carried it.  They carried something else they recommended, as a cleaning product, called Orange TKO.  It is made by a Canadian company, which makes more sense environmentally too.  At the very least I had figured that if it did not work as a transfer medium, I could still use it to clean.

However, as luck would have it, it did work - and awesomely!  Also, it smells faboooooooolous.  My craft room smelled like oranges for a couple of days!

Anyways, I used it for this project, transferring a printed image of John Tenniel's from the classic Alice in Wonderland onto unbleached cotton muslin.  You have to use a toner printed image.  I soaked the back of it with the Orange TKO, and burnished the heck out of it.

Then I used the piece in a sewn project - I made it into a pocket for a cotton book tote I made from scratch, with black twill handles.

On the opposite side, I used a regular printed transfer, and printed the image of the Mad Hatter from the recent SyFy version of Alice - a juxtaposition of old and new.

Here is some more details about the Orange TKO on my blog

and a posting specifically on this bag project.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
Lettersalad
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013 11:54:07 AM »

That looks great, but I feel like I have to give you a warning: if this Orange TKO is anything like the stuff I know, it's a derivate of turpentine! It may smell a lot better, but it certainly is no better for your health when breathed. So please, if you use it, open the windows and let air in, no matter how pleasant it smells.

Salad
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Onyxnox
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013 02:32:30 PM »

No, the reason behind my looking for Citrasolv or something like it was to avoid using turpentine/gum spirits/mineral spirits to do image transfers.  This, like Citrasolv is based on citrus oils, not turpentine, which is derived from resins like pine, or mineral spirits derived from petroleum.  That is not to say it should not be treated as a chemical as it still is a concentrate and can cause irritation namely of the eyes and skin, but is a safer alternative.

MSDS forms for Orange TKO

http://www.tkoorange.com/html/msds.html

THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
JenniferSavage
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013 06:07:10 PM »

This looks amazing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I can make that!" has been the start of more misadventures than I can count Cheesy
Pinterest - http://pinterest.com/ShesASavage

My username was previously MyBabyIsACommunist!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Overview on the Inspire Hair Color Line - Part 3
Overview on the Inspire Hair Color Line - Part 2
How to do A Graduated Bob with Shattered Layer - Part 3
How to do A Razor Haircut Technique for Whole Head - Part 2
How to do A Razor Haircut Technique for Whole Head - Part 1
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Art Dolls
Meatless Monday: Texas Pecan Pesto
@Home This Weekend: Celebrate Your State

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...