A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 304,884
Currently Running With Scissors:
393 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What oven to use, suggestions?  (Read 623 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

groperesponsibly
Mom to a beautiful, craft loving little girl!!

Dippin' my fingers into all things crafty!

View Profile WWW
« on: July 06, 2013 08:35:03 AM »

So it's about time for me to get a new little oven for baking my polymer pieces.  The one I have is no longer reliable, and nothing upsets me more than putting lots of time (and supplies!) into a piece, just to have it burn.

I've been looking at a few counter ovens, and I haven't really been having any luck.  My main concern, is space.  Not counter space!  I don't care if it takes up the entire counter!!  I want BAKING space!!  I want multiple shelves, I want a really tall oven for tall pieces, I want to be able to put a bazillion and a half pieces into my oven at a time!!

What I would like, is for the heating elements not to be that huge, solid rectangle that sits at the bottom.  We have one for food, that just has the thin cylinders for heating.  It frees up space.  But that one still isn't big enough!  I took a peek at those awesome halogens, buuuut there's too much being said about pieces being blown about while baking.  I don't have that sort of patience.

Any suggestions?  I've been doing lots of googling and online shopping!  Tell me what you've got, make and model!!

Thanks guys Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I do: Polymer clay minatures, Polymer clay beads, Beadweaving, Jewelry, Stone cutting (Cabachons) and wirework.  I will be doing: Stone cutting (faceted), Pottery, Silver and Glass work.

Personal swaps welcome Smiley
cackle
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator
Pottery, Ceramics, Polymer Clay Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Whenever I close my eyes the lights go on.. Lummis

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013 09:10:56 AM »

Because I wanted the same things (height and ability to bake multiple things) I ended up with two ovens. One I have in my studio upstairs. That one is a toaster oven that has a fair capacity
and pretty accurate temperature range. (within 5 degrees) That's a Krups and it was about $80.
The 'big' oven I ended up with is just a plain white enamel four burner electric cooker. I got that from Craig's list for about $50. It lived in my basement and worked great, but it was old and just wore out. I'd get another one in a heart beat-I baked tiaras and crowns in there and could get a piece in there that had a height of 12 inches with some room to spare.
Hope that helps!

So it's about time for me to get a new little oven for baking my polymer pieces.  The one I have is no longer reliable, and nothing upsets me more than putting lots of time (and supplies!) into a piece, just to have it burn.

I've been looking at a few counter ovens, and I haven't really been having any luck.  My main concern, is space.  Not counter space!  I don't care if it takes up the entire counter!!  I want BAKING space!!  I want multiple shelves, I want a really tall oven for tall pieces, I want to be able to put a bazillion and a half pieces into my oven at a time!!

What I would like, is for the heating elements not to be that huge, solid rectangle that sits at the bottom.  We have one for food, that just has the thin cylinders for heating.  It frees up space.  But that one still isn't big enough!  I took a peek at those awesome halogens, buuuut there's too much being said about pieces being blown about while baking.  I don't have that sort of patience.

Any suggestions?  I've been doing lots of googling and online shopping!  Tell me what you've got, make and model!!

Thanks guys Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

groperesponsibly

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2013 02:07:09 PM »

Because I wanted the same things (height and ability to bake multiple things) I ended up with two ovens. One I have in my studio upstairs. That one is a toaster oven that has a fair capacity
and pretty accurate temperature range. (within 5 degrees) That's a Krups and it was about $80.
The 'big' oven I ended up with is just a plain white enamel four burner electric cooker. I got that from Craig's list for about $50. It lived in my basement and worked great, but it was old and just wore out. I'd get another one in a heart beat-I baked tiaras and crowns in there and could get a piece in there that had a height of 12 inches with some room to spare.
Hope that helps!

Thanks guys Cheesy

Thank you!!  Unfortunately I don't have the extra space for a large oven, otherwise that's totally what I would have done.  (When I have my house, I'll be in polymer heaven, as it is going to have a dedicated craft room and there WILL be a large oven in there.)

I ended up going for a farber.  The reviews were pretty good, it was $50.00, and it was wayyy bigger than what I was already using.  So hopefully it's going to work for me.  (I'm on a roll, so I couldn't wait for any real answers, but I know I'll be buying another eventually, and doing some double cooking)  I'll let everyone know after a couple of bakes how it goes, and till then, everyone can continue to leave personal experience and suggestions!!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I do: Polymer clay minatures, Polymer clay beads, Beadweaving, Jewelry, Stone cutting (Cabachons) and wirework.  I will be doing: Stone cutting (faceted), Pottery, Silver and Glass work.

groperesponsibly

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013 11:57:58 AM »

So an update!!

I got a farberware oven, it was $49.99 at walmart and it is AMAZING.  I LOVE IT SO MUCH!!  3 shelves means adjustable height, and the availability to make slightly taller items!  I'm pretty excited about it.  So any of you crafters out there, if you're looking to replace your smaller oven with a new smaller oven (bigger than basic craft oven), this would be an excellent choice Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cackle
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator
Pottery, Ceramics, Polymer Clay Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Whenever I close my eyes the lights go on.. Lummis

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013 12:00:36 PM »

So glad it worked out well for you! I'm glad the farberware oven is a good one...and three shelves is great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Write a Short Story
How to Write Rhyme
How to Improve Your Handwriting
Using Twitter to Exercise Creative Writing Skills
Round About the Earth Book Trailer
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...