A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 296,583
Currently Running With Scissors:
592 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Huge, Giant, Enormous Swap?  (Read 3897 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

zadok
creative slacker

View Profile
« on: July 05, 2013 08:57:36 PM »

Just throwing this out there but I'm sure I'm not the only one with some bigger than 'large' things on my wants list. I think it would be cool to have a swap for some of the things that sit forever unpicked by our partners for the regularly sized swaps because they are just too big/complicated; dresses, quilts, corsets, stained glass works, wood works, & ect.

I was thinking something along the lines of a month or so to craft at least one Enormous item or the equivalent such as one giant & one small/medium.

What do you all think?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jill-of-most-trades, attempter of most Wink
~will do personal swaps~
https://pinterest.com/zadok1175/

http://www.paperbackswap.com/index.php?n=2 Swap books for free! XD
gotgrey
You are, which ever beast you choose to feed

Right and wrong are just words, it's what you do

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013 06:46:30 AM »

I'd be in.  I can make large stuffed animals and simple quilts/nothing fancy or complicated.  Still, quilts take me awhile to make.  There's a lot of sewing involved. I know I would like to receive a quilt, and I'm always coveting large crocheted and/or knitted stuffed animals.  Smiley  I can also sculpt, that takes awhile for me too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
noushi

interested in doing personal swaps

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2013 07:25:11 AM »

I like the idea of this swap, and I can definitely make quilts, large stuffed animals, etc. but I think that a month for crafting is cutting it a little close. Maybe a month and a half?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LadybugsAndBumblebees
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2013 09:48:52 AM »

There was something like this swap that was done a year or two ago.  I now remember the name for it.  It was the 'Multi-Theme Random Swap' (?) and partners chose a certain number of themes to craft from and within those themes, a certain amount of items to craft.  It had a LONG crafting time too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mama24boyz

AND1GIRL!!

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2013 12:23:27 PM »

The multithemed swap was different. You crafted a number of items. This one is just one huge item right? I think it sounds good. I could always make a hugely detailed ami or an afghan. But I agree, the timeframe should be longer than a month
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013 12:24:02 PM by mama24boyz » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I absolutely love love quilts, do you think an afghan is a fair trade for a quilt? I'd love to swap!
Etsy
Pinterest
Mamas Creations on Facebook
zadok
creative slacker

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2013 01:35:24 PM »

A longer craft time sounds good to me. I wasn't sure what time frame a swap like this would need.

To answer mama24boyz's question though I was thinking it would pretty much be set up like a 6 point swap where you must make at least one Huge item. Huge=4points, Giant=5 points, Enormous=6 points
Unless somebody had a better idea?

I'd love some input on what you guys would consider what sizes. Especially on knit/crochet/sewing from scratch since I can't do any of that. I do stained glass, to some degree alter clothing, a little wood working, & other mostly random crafts.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jill-of-most-trades, attempter of most Wink
~will do personal swaps~
https://pinterest.com/zadok1175/

http://www.paperbackswap.com/index.php?n=2 Swap books for free! XD
kayrun
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2013 02:00:31 PM »

I was in the Geezer swap several years ago & sounds like it was a similar idea:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=345358#axzz2YIhsheYo

it was a lot of fun!
it was a chain-style matchup rather than partner to partner...
worked out well & there were some really nice projects made!
(gallery == http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=348957#axzz2YIhsheYo

we used the guidelines for Large:
What's a large item, you ask?  generally, we're talking something that takes 3 or more hours, is large in physical size, or costs $30 or more in materials (or any combination of those).

and since I'm a knitter, I made my partner a shawl from her wishlist....took way more than 3 hours,
but we were both pleased with the result, and that's what counted...
http://www.ravelry.com/projects/kayrun/ostrich-plumes-stole-or-scarf
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mama24boyz

AND1GIRL!!

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2013 02:02:51 PM »

I'm never good on the sizes. Sometimes a little ami can take me hours! So I never really consider it with crocheting.  I would say a big detailed ami would be a huge, a laugh an would be a huge, a shawl even I think. But I do like your point system.  I'm wondering though, should we skip the extra small and just make it the one thing since its such a big thing?  As for sewing sizes, I don't know that either  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I absolutely love love quilts, do you think an afghan is a fair trade for a quilt? I'd love to swap!
Etsy
Pinterest
Mamas Creations on Facebook
Tenitsu
Oh my, where do I start? Here? Okay!

(⌒▽⌒)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2013 02:48:48 PM »

I'm never good on the sizes. Sometimes a little ami can take me hours! So I never really consider it with crocheting.  I would say a big detailed ami would be a huge, a laugh an would be a huge, a shawl even I think. But I do like your point system.  I'm wondering though, should we skip the extra small and just make it the one thing since its such a big thing?  As for sewing sizes, I don't know that either  Wink

Ha ha ha a little ami takes me days!  Though most things take me days actually especially when your juggling entertaining a rambunctious toddler and trying to craft (without letting the toddler tear your room into pieces!) As far as toys and stuff goes I wouldnt know how to size them exactly either, by sewing time each person sews faster/slower than others..... Though this definitely sounds fun =D now if only my crafting allowance will permit it hahaha!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hito no ji wa hitori ja tatenai...=)

Pintrest!

You dont need to be weird to belong here...there's a tutorial for that somewhere!
gotgrey
You are, which ever beast you choose to feed

Right and wrong are just words, it's what you do

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2013 06:32:04 PM »

I think we should just make one big, huge, giant, enormous whatever you want to call it thing.  So, just one item.  I'm agreeing w/mama24boyz.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Wear a Prom Dress
How to Wear a Rain Jacket
How to Wear a Sarong
How to Wear a Scarf
How to Wear a Shawl
Latest Blog Articles
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls
Meatless Monday: Texas Pecan Pesto

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...