A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 300,899
Currently Running With Scissors:
324 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crafty Gifts for Little Girls  (Read 6244 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dicaxpuella
« on: March 27, 2004 08:16:01 PM »

I have twin half-sisters turning 7 next month, and for their birthdays I'm making them the totebags from http://www.sewfastseweasy.com/, and I was wanting to "stuff" the bags with some more fun (and inexpensive) crafty items. Problem is, I'm stumped as to any ideas.
So, any of you wonderfully crafty and creative people have any ideas of some fun things that I could make that little girls would enjoy?
Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2004 10:28:38 PM »

Create kits of various beads and satin or leather cord for them to make their own jewelry.  You see kits like this in toy stores all the time, but you can make your own, and create each one based on each girl's favorite colors and tastes of the moment.  Most craft stores have some really nice and cute themed beads, and often you can find them on sale or clearance.  And one of the nicest things about these gifts is that it also promotes you time.  What I mean is, it might give you a chance to sit down with them, together or individually, and help make whatever it is they want to make.  A nice together activity.

Handmade bookmarks and a small book (storebought or homemade) to go with.  If you buy a book, I recommend something like Charlotte's Web.  You can get used copies of this book at nearly every used bookstore.  Or, you could make a small journal for each of them.  It's never too early to start encouraging journal or diary writing, and they'll be glad later on that you did.  I still have, read and laugh at my diary from my younger years, and I have openly thanked my aunt for giving me that blank journal when I was 8.  Plus, it helps in writing skills.

Simple cookie recipes along with bags of dry ingredients.  Another together activity.  Also never too early to teach a girl how to make herself chocolate chip cookies!!

Easy Cross-stitch kits, like you can get at a fabric store for a dollar or two.  Make them or buy them, they make nice filler.

I was a tomboy growing up, but I would have enjoyed any of the above.  However, some girls are even more tomboy than I was, and if that's the case, you can include a cake or jello mold and a recipe for mud pies.  (Real mud pies, made with mud.)  Playing in the dirt is always fun.   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
ookpik

everything is so neat!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2004 10:08:14 AM »

my aunt used to give me covered shoeboxes full of craft gear when i was little and i loved it! good present!

other fun things (who cares what they are for? kids will think of something):

-colored pom poms
-pipecleaners
-googly eyes
-lick-n-stick shapes
-ribbons, fancy sticker tape (glow-in-the-dark, etc)
-big beads, small beads, buttons
-special markers (erasable, color change...)
-little packs of novelty crayons (glitter, dayglo...)
-scissors that cut scalloped borders

i also used to really have fun with those 2" button backs that have a snap-on cover so you can make anything into a button without a machine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's no such thing as too much information, so: All About My Vagina
StephJoy

Can I be you when I grow up?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2004 02:13:42 PM »

Paint-by-number kits(dollar store) and lots of
STICKERS!! Don;t forget the scratch and sniff kind!  Oh, and to go with the googly eyes and pipe cleaners someone else mentioned....one sock each to decorate and make puppets!!!  Oh, how I want to be a kid!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sugar, sugar..da.da.da.da da...ah honey honey
jennybean
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2004 06:42:44 PM »

oriental trading company has cute picture frame kits made from craft sticks and foam. you could put together the kits yourself and even improvise different ideas. if you had some photos of them to stick in there too it would be great.
but seriously, when i was 7, i would have gone nuts for glitter, google eyes, and pom poms!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sewing stars
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2004 06:03:55 AM »

At 7 years old I was a sticker connoisseur. Maybe a little kit with some pages hole punched at one side, and pretty ribbons, so they can make a sticker album.

Also, personally I love magents. Maybe a kit for making stickers into magnets. You can get some small magnet sheets at Staples, colored papers and stickers. They can sit and create their very own magnets for the fridge.

Sounds like fun to me.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2004 07:17:11 AM by sewing stars » THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.sewingstars.com
never forget how to fly...
amareluna
Head Nerd at Nyxia's Lair

~It is we who make our destiny, not the stars~

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2004 07:57:09 AM »

I asked my 10 yr old niece who is here having a 'crafty' spring break with me what she thought.

She gave the nod of approval to stickers, craft sticks, fabric scraps, needle and threads, glue, different kinds of funky paper, decorative things she could use on her pencil cans or notebooks, etc (like pompoms or those fun scrapbooking threads that have feathers and such on them) but what she said would be coolest is a notebook with different ideas on what to do with the stuff- but with enough blank pages that she could write in it too.

HTH
THIS ROCKS   Logged
halfjapanezegrl
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2004 12:54:21 PM »

If you are looking for things to make yourself to give to them, here are a few ideas:
Make the totes beach or pool bags.
- Make an after water towel cover up.  Take a towel and cut it so that it is just long enough to wrap around the wearer once.  Fold over one of the long edges and sew to create a casing for elastic.  Then sew up the sides, make simple straps with the extra towel if you want, and you have a pull over "dress".  
- Decorate cheap flip-flops using craft foam.  
- Make Hawaiian hair clips using silk flowers and plain hair clips (Quilters Binding and Hem Clips work particularly well as they have a hole in the end.  They are avaliable in the notions section of most craft and fabric stores.  http://www.createforless.com/products/productDetail.asp?ProductID=7451).  
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DIY of all kinds.

My blog: http://www.atxdiy.com
jmesdiylounge
That girl is crafty like ice is cold! ~Beastie Boys

Sew it up!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2004 01:04:34 PM »

Wow I love that Create for Less website. I can't believe I never heard of it before!

Thanks for the link.

I love the quilt clips with the holes in the end!

Jaime
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My shop Boatload of Craft is here!!
Boatload of Craft - My Shop/MySpace/Flickr
HardCandy63

Short Attention Span Crafts Since Age Four.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2004 04:35:11 PM »

my aunt used to give me covered shoeboxes full of craft gear when i was little and i loved it! good present!

-colored pom poms
-pipecleaners
-googly eyes
-lick-n-stick shapes

i also used to really have fun with those 2" button backs that have a snap-on cover so you can make anything into a button without a machine.

I have all of these now. Except for those lick-n-stick shapes. Man, did I love those when I was a kid!  Grin I don't knwo if someone metioned this, but when I was a wee-one i liked those latch-hook things, i still have the collie-dog pillow i made Smiley you know, the little kits that give you thread and un-pointy needles and you make nice fussy things with them. Maybe I'm confusing the names. Anyways, just check out your local craft store in the kits department. Something will pop out at you. Oh, and get some sequin ribbion. I loved that stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
abbie

I didn't lose my mind... i sold it on ebay!!!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2004 04:32:47 PM »

thankz for the tips!!i will do it!! Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged
heygirl
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2004 08:22:34 PM »

HardCandy63: They are called latch hook kits. I have a dragon fly one right now. They sell them at Michael's  and A.C Moore. IO don't know abput Joann's.

-colored pom poms
-pipecleaners
-googly eyes
-lick-n-stick shapes
And maybe you could put in those things that are shaped ike zig-zags and are very colorful. Or they have sand art kits. Jsut don;t shake them. I learned  that the hard way!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Enjoy the ice cream while it's on your plate."
                      - Thorton Wilder
(Personally I have never heard of Thorton but I like that quote!)
swimgirl52

Dear Mr. Duck .... Thanks for inventing tape!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2004 04:40:54 PM »

I have twin half-sisters turning 7 next month, and for their birthdays I'm making them the totebags from http://www.sewfastseweasy.com/, and I was wanting to "stuff" the bags with some more fun (and inexpensive) crafty items. Problem is, I'm stumped as to any ideas.
So, any of you wonderfully crafty and creative people have any ideas of some fun things that I could make that little girls would enjoy?
Thanks!

you could make them a "puffy bracelet" (look it up on the search bar its in there somewhere) or make those little marble magnets with like hilary duff (?) or things they like - little girls love just random baubles and trinkets!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
teehee
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2004 06:57:06 PM »

Do you have a Dollar Tree store? Everything's $1 and they have tons of stuff. I found big stamps there. They also had some kid's craft kits. One had foam door hangers and the fixins to decorate it. They had another set with pipe cleaners, fabric and beads to make a fairy doll.

I think it'd be fun to add some print outs of hand puppets or other finished projects to give them inspiration. Gel pens and washable glitter paint pens are always great. Scrap fabric and rick rack would be fun too.

DUH! I just realized the OP is from March Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged
FairyWings
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2004 11:20:53 AM »

sock monkey kit!,  i hear they are fairly simple to make with the kit, so if you could find a kit to buy at a shop * too late to order online* that'd be nice
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50srocknrollergirl
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2004 10:45:16 PM »

i found a bunch of craft supply and kits at the dollar store for my baby sister for christmas. i found a make your own purse and make your own fairies at the dollar tree. dollar stores are the best!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
katiebug
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2005 12:53:43 PM »

Perhaps some small lip balm containers from Michaels or the Container Store (you could even reuse ones you already have) and instructions on making their own flavored gloss. You could include packets of KoolAid and/or lemonade for flavoring.

Various colors of embroidery floss and a book or page of instructions for making friendship bracelets.

Good luck!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Hide not your talents, they for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?" -Ben Franklin

http://lemonsicle.blogspot.com/
DallionWings
Sometimes troublesome things

woogie

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2005 09:32:08 PM »

i cant remember for the life of me what they were called but i use to get those little boxed craft kits all the time (make your own angel pins, etc.) i cant remember the company anme but they were in a little box and they had a very distinct look about them, you knew they were this line. damn! now i want to think of this company!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-brit-
gaiter_girl

Hullo, My name is Bear. Grrrrrrrrrr.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2005 01:52:37 PM »

Someone may have already mentioned this somewhere (I'm at work and trying to not get caught slacking off)  Wink

When I was younger my friends and I used to LOVE decorating t-shirts, bags and canvas sneakers with fabric paint.  You could always find some plain t's and totes at craftstores or Walmart and get some fabric paint (oooh or dye for tye dyeing to be done outdoors or someplace where dye stains don't matter).  We also used to glue sequins and applique things on but I can't remember what kind of glue we were using. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

My my...aren't we a knotty little girl?
stargirl52
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2005 10:41:24 PM »

(yes I know this is a very old thread but if anyone else needs this.)
It would be cute to give them a pair of plain canvasy shoes or a plain pencil case each, along with a whole bunch of different kinds of sequins, and some decent glue.
They could decorate them as they please.
-G.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I want your lungs to stop working without me.

http://georgianess.livejournal.com
takewrning
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2005 12:35:58 PM »

There's always yarn at Goodwill that you can score pretty cheaply, occassionally needles.  You could easily put that stuff in there and make a little book on how to knit.  I did this for a friend, and although I can barely knit, I found a good tutorial online that I printed out and decorated.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There will be time to sleep in the grave...
ww.TakeWrning.com
More frequent updates: takewrning.blogspot.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Christmas Stockings with Kristin Chenoweth
How to Make Embellished Christmas Tree Ornaments
How to Make Embossed Faux Bois Stockings
How to Make Angel Christmas Tree Toppers with Heidi Klum
How to Make Glittered Glass Ornaments
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...