A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 305,441
Currently Running With Scissors:
393 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Mod Manicure --- A manicure case  (Read 3145 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: July 03, 2013 07:12:47 PM »

Wow, the title was more difficult than making this project Smiley

This is my very first Craftster challenge woop woop.  It was a blast.   I knew pretty quick that I wanted to make a manicure roll up for my daughter.  We had a shopping spree at the Dollar store, we definitely walked out with more than the challenge limit, I had so many ideas on how to use each of the items!

So after picking the items I definitely wanted to use, I was on my way to sewing.

I ended up using 8 of the dollar items.  I also used a few bits of Velcro, 2 heart buttons and one square of dark purple felt from my own craft stash...I counted that toward the $2 I had remaining.

Here is my finished product:
I used 2 dish towels for inner and outer fabrics, I also sandwiched a nonslip rug underlay between them for extra padding.  I used green shoelaces as the closure.

I wanted the inside to be super functional so I decided to use a piece of dark purple felt as the nail painting mat.  The case is washable.....but I'm pretty sure nail polish is a beast to wash out, so a throw-away mat was the direction I wanted to go.  There is a little piece of Velcro under it holding the felt in place. I like the felt because once it gets all gunked up and dirty I can just cut another cheap piece of felt to replace it.  I used the pot holders as cushioned pockets to hold nail art and polishes, they seal shut with bits of Velcro.  I also found super cute heart and circle shaped body puff-rags that I just had to use!  My daughter has already used the green ones to take her nail polish off.  I also found a box of heart nail art and a crazy cute purple rabbit nail cleaning brush, my daughter is in love.

As soon as I showed it to my girl she immediately squealed, ran to get her polishes and immediately put her new manicure case to use.  She's my biggest fan!

« Last Edit: July 08, 2013 02:12:42 PM by sweets4ever - Reason: Edited to insert photos for member! :) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013 07:30:38 PM »

Sweet!  This project is one that any girl would love...no wonder your daughter got so excited.   Wink
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013 06:25:26 AM »

What a good idea - and it looks great.

I suffer from CADD: Crafting Attention Deficit Disorder.

With enough caffiene, I could rule the world.

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013 06:38:44 AM »

Very cute. Ingenious use of materials!

I've never been lost, but I will admit to being confused for several weeks.

Find me on facebook!

My flickr has swap spoilers!!! Partners, you have been warn
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013 09:31:32 AM »

am definitely in love with this.  I have a 5 year old granddaughter that would adore this for Christmas. (not to mention a niece, daughter and a daughter-in-law).   *added to my Christmas to make list*

thank you for sharing this fun idea!   Grin

Craftalongs Moderator

Make All Things, especially from stash

Live Life Like You Want To!

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013 01:45:31 PM »

I think this is a wonderful idea as well as a great gift idea for anyone who loves to do their nails...it protects the furniture and organizes at the same time!

I love that you used potholders for pockets...and that you really thought out the painting pad...

Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013 01:59:40 PM »

Today is the last day to vote!  Make sure to cast yours on the challenge thread. Smiley

Good luck!!

When life gives you lemons, make cocktails! Grin

Pretending to be a functioning adult is exhausting

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2013 04:33:31 PM »

I'm going to have to remember this for birthdays! I have three sisters and they'd love this!

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2013 10:00:42 PM »

Thanks so much!  I think it's a perfect size for my 7yr old, I think I'm going to add a carry strap (a girl needs some free arms to carry more stuff).  I'm definitely going to make some smaller versions for my older nieces, and use vinyl as well.

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2013 07:28:50 PM »

This is one of the BEST projects I have seen - very functional, darling colors and materials - you are just too creative!  Absolutely GREAT!!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

Latest Blog Articles
November 25, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Cube Advent Calendar
Thankful for Family

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...