A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,039
Currently Running With Scissors:
389 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Soap challenge soaps  (Read 1214 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tcmatteson

Baby it's cold outside...

View Profile WWW
« on: July 03, 2013 02:43:17 PM »

So, the last year and a half has been extremely busy! So busy, I haven't been able to do much of anything on craftster... but hopefully things will settle down enough that I can start getting back into this lovely community! I now have a new little one in our family AND we have completed our move halfway across the country! One of the first things I did was unpack my soaping supplies so I could jump in on this set of four soap challenges given out by one of the lovely soapers I follow on youtube (Great Cakes Soapworks on youtube). I had fun learning and trying out these new techniques and thought I'd share my results!

Oil Mica swirl:

Scented with Dragon's Blood Fragrance oil. Technique basics: This is to decorate the top of your soap; Mix a small amount of liquid oil of your choosing with a high amount of mica (must be mica in order for it to work nicely); I used Merlot mica and Gold mica. Dribble oil/mica mixture over the top of the raw soap then use a skewer to swirl the colors! Very simple, but elegant way to finish your soap Smiley
Dragon's Blood discolors to a brown, so I only put the fragrance in the grey area which was colored with activated charcoal Smiley

Leopard Print:

This one is scented with Vetyver fragrance oil and colored with titanium dioxide and Strong Pink Pigment (the marbling effect in the white occurred because the soap overheated in the mold). Technique basics: You want to be working with medium traced soap so that it doesn't get all flattened out but you also want a fragrance and soap recipe that won't get super thick on you during the process. At least two colors are needed for this... I think a full rainbow of spot colors could be super cool, too! Pour a thin layer at the bottom of your mold. Use a piping bag or squirt bottle to create diagonal lines of a contrasting color on top of that layer. Directly over the top of the diagonal lines use a piping bag or squirt bottle to make the inside of the spots, then cover that layer with the first color in the piping bag or squirt bottle. (So by now, you'll have a bottom layer of your main soap color (white) and three diagonal layers of your spot colors (pink, white, pink). Cover this with a thin layer of your main soap color, trying to keep your diagonal lines separated from one another. Then do the diagonal layer again but going in the other direction. Keep doing these layers until you're to the top of the soap! Smiley

Tiger Stripe:

This one is scented with White Tea & Ginger fragrance oil and colored with titanium dioxide, tiny bit of cappuccino mica and even tinier amount of soft green mica. Technique basics: You want to work with a fragrance and recipe that will keep at a light to light medium trace and at least two colors. Simply pour a thin line of your first color down the center of your mold. Pour a thin line of your second color directly on top of your first line and continue alternating your colors in this fashion. Tap your mold to release air bubbles and distribute soap more evenly as needed Smiley Brighter, more contrasty colors work very well for this type of technique, too Cheesy

Elemental Swirl:

This one is scented with essential oils of Rosemary, Lemongrass, Lavender, and Patchouli and colored with natural colorants of pink kaolin clay, cocoa powder, lemon peel powder, and parsley powder (didn't use enough parsley, boo...) with an activated charcoal pencil line. Technique basics: The elemental swirl is simply two different ITP (In-the-Pot) swirls separated by a pencil line. Divide your soap batch into 4 equal parts and color each a different color. Pour one color into the bucket of one other color from high above to help the soap get further down into the bucket. Use a spoon or spatula to run a figure-8 shape in the two tone bucket and pour into your mold (the colors will swirl together, but not blend). Layer a thin but even coating of your pencil line colorant on top of this first layer (I use a small strainer to help with this process. Then do an ITP with the remaining two colors. Carefully pour this last layer of soap into the mold taking care not to break through the pencil line.

Thank you for letting me share! And I hope this inspires someone to try out these awesome techniques, too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafter turned Soaper
Been away from Craftster for far too long Sad I miss this crafty community!
Simple & Clean Soapery on FB
Simple & Clean Soapery on etsy
meleriffic
Global Moderator
Clothing Moderator
Toys, Dolls, & Playthings Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013 03:24:08 PM »

Wow, these look amazing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013 04:59:24 PM »

These looks beautiful! What great techniques!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/13

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
JenniferSavage
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013 06:05:54 PM »

These are amazing! I especially love the elemental swirl!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I can make that!" has been the start of more misadventures than I can count Cheesy
Pinterest - http://pinterest.com/ShesASavage

My username was previously MyBabyIsACommunist!
tcmatteson

Baby it's cold outside...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013 06:10:31 PM »

Aww... thank you, guys! I can't wait to get a chance to try these techniques some more. They're all super fun to do Smiley Waiting to cut is always nerve-wracking, lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafter turned Soaper
Been away from Craftster for far too long Sad I miss this crafty community!
Simple & Clean Soapery on FB
Simple & Clean Soapery on etsy
I Sew Cute
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator

I'm a Fanatic Friend of Craftster!

Take me to the kittens!!! >^.^<

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2013 06:24:20 AM »

These techniques are beyond my skilll level, but it's fascinating to read & see what beautiful results you have! They're lovely soaps!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out Trinkets & Jewelry! Wink
pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
GingerKnitter
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2013 11:32:55 PM »

These are so awesome! I'm not one for leopard print, but that one has to be my favorite! I can't even begin to explain how much I love it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
I Love It All: HardWired Behind the Scenes
Stylish Skirts In Sheer Fabrics
Victoria Beckham Designs Chic Denim
How to Dress for Your Hair Color: Brunette
Beyonce Debuts Her New Bob on Stage
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...