A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,139
Currently Running With Scissors:
571 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Any cobbler gurus out there? (for dog shoe?)  (Read 581 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

gaikokujinkyofusho
« on: June 15, 2013 06:22:23 AM »

Hi, I have a dog who I adopted off the street who has a stub for a paw
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/507145/Paws.jpg. The padding on his stub is deformed and since he has not toes/claw he is always getting this stub cut up when he runs around (just barely more than a year old and runs around like a nut). He is a real sweetheart and a big lug at the same time (100lbs) which has made it a bit more of a challenge.

The last design I came up with works but just barely and this is what it looks like after 3 months:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/507145/3rd%20Gen%20Boot.jpg

This is the best I have been able to come up with so far (This is like "3rd generation/iteration, used for about a month):
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/507145/4th%20Gen%20Boot.jpg

Design Issues

Sleeve/leg durability
To resolve this problem I have been trying to make a shoe that will #1 Actually stay on snugly and #2 Last more than a few weeks. It has been an evolution starting off with bought doggie booties which were pretty much worthless, to a old indestructible (until now) hiking sock + shoe goo to a sewn nylon sleeve thingy + shoe goo. This is the best we have been able to come up with as he destroys (since he is so active), I was going to go to the dump to see if I could get some used airbag material as I had made a dog bed cover from the stuff before (previous dog who was hell bent on digging through her rubber foam bed) and it was friggin bullet proof.

Keeping it on
So the shoe goo + nylon sock is the closes we have come so far, the sock/sleeve part kind of works because it allows us to strap it on above his hock so it doesnt slip down/off, that worked great when we were using a softer material but this more durable nylon stuff (from an old suit travel bag) seriously rubs around his hock, I am guess I will try some sort of padding (shoe insole?) around the inside where we strap it on, bulky but just using a thick sock to provide a protection wasnt enough. Im not in the US (or a western country) at the moment so I havent been able to get my hands on proper Velcro and the Velcro I managed to get he has decimated (I think mostly due to crappy Velcro but also again his just scraping up against just about everything) so I was going to try a belt of sorts but am hoping someone has a better idea.

Durable Sole that Stays on
Shoe goo is the best we have come up with so far for a sole as everything else I tried just didnt work (tried rubber pipe stopper thingy, Ear Bulb Syringe, modified mini-plunger) either because they didnt fit how he walks on that foot (cant describe it but a ball type shape is needed) or they were too hard to affix to a sleeve in a way that they would stay. The best version we have come up with so far has involved the afore mentioned nylon sleeve (durability) with shoe goo smeared in layers on the end. This has been workable but the shoe goo doesnt stick to the material as well as I would like and is starting to come off after about 2 months.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/507145/Sole%20Comming%20Off.jpg

Any suggestions would really be appreciated!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Alexus1325
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013 12:47:21 PM »

Do you have the opportunity to talk to an ACTUAL cobbler? If you take your prototypes over and talk about your needs, I'm sure the cobbler would be able to develop a much more sturdy and long-lasting version using professional materials. I know that in Canada, the special glue used for affixing soles to shoes is SO toxic that you must be a licensed cobbler to purchase it from the accredited Canadian suppliers. I'm fortunate that I have a local cobbler, and his glue is HARDCORE.

In my personal, unprofessional, non-cobbler opinion, I think a possible solution would be a sleeve of canvas or duck cloth using your seemingly awesome attachment method, with a wool felt "boot liner" (for squishiness, breathability and replaceability) and a glued AND sewn heavy suede sole.

Edit to add that you should also take your dog, so the cobbler can see his foot for himself. I know my local cobbler, Ron, has a huge animal loving heart, and he would take on a project like this with enthusiasm.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013 12:48:57 PM by Alexus1325 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

gaikokujinkyofusho
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013 06:14:38 AM »

Thanks Alexus. The town i live in actually does have two cobblers but the problems are:
1) they are not particularly creative
2) They hate dogs (i suggested i bring him by and they dismissed the idea)
3) They have gotten really impatient really fast and have been generally unhelpful... unforunate as I would be happy to pay 3x their going rate but things in the post soviet countries don't always work like in the west.  Undecided

I've been trying to find some canvas but no luck, not to mention duck cloth however I did see some wool felt liner which is a great idea (hadn't thought of that though in retrospect I don't know why).

I'll give these a try. Thanks!

Do you have the opportunity to talk to an ACTUAL cobbler? If you take your prototypes over and talk about your needs, I'm sure the cobbler would be able to develop a much more sturdy and long-lasting version using professional materials. I know that in Canada, the special glue used for affixing soles to shoes is SO toxic that you must be a licensed cobbler to purchase it from the accredited Canadian suppliers. I'm fortunate that I have a local cobbler, and his glue is HARDCORE.

In my personal, unprofessional, non-cobbler opinion, I think a possible solution would be a sleeve of canvas or duck cloth using your seemingly awesome attachment method, with a wool felt "boot liner" (for squishiness, breathability and replaceability) and a glued AND sewn heavy suede sole.

Edit to add that you should also take your dog, so the cobbler can see his foot for himself. I know my local cobbler, Ron, has a huge animal loving heart, and he would take on a project like this with enthusiasm.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Alexus1325
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013 05:57:50 PM »

Post-Soviet country, eh? You might be able to get your hands on some old Army stuff that's made of canvas, like tents, and sacks, and long coats.

Such a shame your cobblers aren't more helpful. If you're still struggling after two or three more versiond, you might want to look at the towns and cities around you for a friendlier, more interested cobbler.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Peter Brown on Illustrating Creepy Carrots
Kurt Anderson on His Book "True Believers"
Kristen-Paige Madonia on the Inspiration for Fingerprints of You
The Art Of The Man Cave
Molly Ringwald’s Next Act
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...