A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 296,625
Currently Running With Scissors:
714 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 1905 White Family Treadle Sewing Machine -- $25 Craig's List find!  (Read 1663 times)
Tags for this thread: treadle_sewing_machine , antique  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

nikschaf
« on: July 03, 2013 10:41:41 AM »

I spin yarn, and as I was treadling my wheel last week, thinking about how relaxing treadling is, I realized I would probably like sewing on an antique treadle machine better than on my electric machine.  I had never looked into treadle sewing machines before, but found there are plenty available on Craig's List.

Look at this beauty I got for only $25!  A 1905 White Family Rotary sewing machine in the original cabinet, with tools, accessories, warranty, original manual, etc.  At 108 years old, she is 6 years older than my house.  She hadn't been used for sewing in decades, but I knew the woman who I bought her from had used it at one point.

I had to replace the leather belt, and basically take apart most of the components, clean them with liquid wrench and re-oil them, but now "Meg" sews like a champ!  (I named her Meg, like Meg White of the White Stripes, because she is a White machine.)  I was really proud I got her up and running by myself, because I was almost ready to bring her into a sewing machine repair shop and pay them whatever they wanted to bring her back to life.

The best part is my son, age 6, is very interested in sewing now!  He was always curious about my electric sewing machine, but also a little scared of it.  The treadle machine is slower, and quieter, so he really wanted to try it!  He did a little practice stitching on a piece of scrap cloth yesterday and is so proud of his work he insisted I take his photo.  He even brought it with him on a picnic with his grandma today, because he wanted to make sure to show her.  How cool is that?!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
jungrrl
Global Moderator
Crafty Business Advice Moderator
Toys, Dolls, and Playthings Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a portmanteau.

Former Full-time Craftster-er

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013 11:38:19 AM »

WHOA. $25 was an absolutely steal. She's beautiful! Congrats!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

loves2experiment
Swap Moderator
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator

Irreverent. Indomitable. Incorrigible.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013 11:46:50 AM »

you're a lucky duck...meg is gorgeous!  kudos for getting it in working order Smiley 
and i think it's precious that your little one is interested in sewing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

...loves to experiment...not a monogamous crafter...

STS Spring Market 2014
Craftica
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013 12:41:03 PM »

It is gorgous, I love it. I have similar Singer machine, 100 years old, repaired it and now have both - sewing machine and a table for work and put the notebook on.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jinjeet Phoenix

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013 01:51:33 PM »

Absolutely gorgeous machine....great find!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BeaG

Hi from Belgium!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013 02:16:00 PM »

Please tell your little boy that he is the best!
Sewing such pretty lines on that piece of fabric on his first try at his age!
He is going to be a sewing superstar one day!

Beautiful machine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nikschaf
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2013 05:00:01 PM »

Thanks, everyone!  I am just so excited about it.

Sewing with him was an adventure.  It's a little tricky to treadle and keep the machine from reversing, so he and I had to work together most of the time.  Some of the time I would treadle and he would feed the fabric.   Then we'd switch off and he'd treadle, and I'd feed the fabric.  Then he realized he could turn the hand wheel and do everything by himself!  He was very proud of that.

I think he'll be happy to just do practice stitching like this for a while, but then I'll have to find some very simple projects he can complete without getting too frustrated.  A small pillow maybe.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
anderlance
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2013 09:07:21 AM »

What a beautiful machine, and your son is an amazing sewer!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nikschaf
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2013 09:47:07 AM »

Thank you!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nikschaf
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2013 09:50:42 AM »

By the way, I let my son read the positive comments about his sewing and now he's REALLY over the moon about sewing.  He wants to create his own TV show.  He said it would be called "The Birth of Arts and Crafts" and he's been practicing his introductions for the show.  Funny kid.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jungrrl
Global Moderator
Crafty Business Advice Moderator
Toys, Dolls, and Playthings Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I'm a portmanteau.

Former Full-time Craftster-er

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2013 11:43:28 AM »

By the way, I let my son read the positive comments about his sewing and now he's REALLY over the moon about sewing.  He wants to create his own TV show.  He said it would be called "The Birth of Arts and Crafts" and he's been practicing his introductions for the show.  Funny kid.

So sweet!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Helcura

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2013 09:55:14 PM »

Wow - I'm envious!  Good for you for bringing her back to life.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nikschaf
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2013 12:49:14 PM »

Thank you!

I just did my first actual project on her.  Just took in a couple of seams on a dress, actually.  What a treat to sew on Meg compared to my electric machine!  No fits and starts from a finicky machine, no humming from the foot pedal.  Just a quiet little "click, click, click" and I was done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shadowstealer
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2013 06:22:08 PM »

Thats one pretty treadle!!

I have one too! I've found it a lot nicer to sew with than an electric sewing machine, if you only want to do straight lines.

It's a singer, theres some debate on when its from exactly some places say 1905 some 1915. But it has sphinxes and Egyptian lotus flowers so I'm not going to complain about 10 years.

Youtube channel!? I'd watch it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nikschaf
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2013 10:03:53 AM »

Shadowstealer, that's a gorgeous machine!  I would love to see one of those Singers with the Sphynx decals in person.  Super cool.  Where did you get yours?

Mine came with a whole bunch of attachments, like a ruffler foot, etc.  I think there might be some type of attachment in there that does a zig-zag stitch, but I haven't figured it out yet.  I do wish there was a reverse, but aside from that, I am in LOVE.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Onyxnox

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2013 06:09:58 AM »

Great story all around - LOVE how it has inspired your son to sew too.  I love when crafting cascades down generations.  That is an awesome fine - I recently got the treadle sewing machine from my MIL, which came from her grandmom/great grandmom.  It is functional and comes with all the original accessories, and she had the wood restored, but I am using it just as a display piece in my craft room.  The good news is that even in a power outage - we'll still be able to craft/sew!

And anything you love that much has to have a name Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
nikschaf
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2013 09:59:39 AM »

Onyxnox, I love the idea of your machine coming down through the generations.  Great to keep it in the family!  The woman I bought my machine from thought of it mainly as furniture, and was surprised I wanted to use it for sewing.  Though she taught her daughter to sew on the treadle.

It's great that you have your machine with all the attachments.  You're right -- it's nice to not worry about a power outage!  :-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Salman Rushdie and Christopher Hitchens Discuss Hitch 22
Harold Bloom on Shakespeare, Strangeness, and Meaning
Aaron Sorkin Shares His Writing Process
"Does This Baby Make Me Look Straight?" Author Interview
Historian Barry Strauss Discusses the 5 Stages of War
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...