A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 299,153
Currently Running With Scissors:
507 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Needlework shops...  (Read 602 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

deromilly
« on: July 01, 2013 01:19:46 PM »

I'm 'splorin'! I just found this old article on Etsy by Jenny Hart, and got to wondering. How many of y'all hang out in your local needlework shop, petting and exploring new thread options, learning new techniques and just exploring the history of the craft? I did, until my local shop closed. And now I'm limited to needlepoint (the other one was mostly cross stitch... so I taught them as much as they taught me!)

Anyway, fascinating article, and I really am curious. How many of you even HAVE a local shop nearby any more? Do you shop there? If not, why not? If you do, what do you like about it?

https://www.etsy.com/blog/en/2007/jenny-hart-says-dare-to-enter-your-local-needlework-shop/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~~G. Romilly Mueller
Stitch Creatively! "Cat fur? What cat fur? That's creative use of specialty fibers!" Me, RCTN 1994
Listessa
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Summertime Slacker Crafter

Buried in Beads!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013 02:50:29 AM »

Before I moved to Alaska I finally found one in the Portsmouth area (can't remember the location of the shop at this point).  It was SO much fun!  They had such amazing and delightful patterns, and the ladies working there were awesome. 

We have NOTHING local here for needlework.  I did find one in Seward, and again, that was a blast!  It was a needlework and yarn spot so the focus was slightly more on yarn, but she had some neat things.  Again, I felt really welcomed in and she had awesome suggestions (and Alaska patterns) so it wasn't an odd feeling type thing. 

I have also hit another good quilting/needlwork shop in Anchorage.  I have to go there only if I have a lot of time though, as I end up chatting with the owner for AGES.  Not in a creepy weird way or anything, but we somehow end up having oodles of things to go on chatting about. 

I like the article, but I've never really had the same feeling of not fitting in as mentioned.  I guess I'm boring looking, or now I'm old enough for acceptance?  No real idea.  I'm also one of those people who says, "Hi!" and starts talking, particularly when in small specialty stores.  Yeah, I make friends...
I suppose it might be a location related issue too.  Some places can be generally more friendly than others.

I love going to local spots, as they have some really fascinating stuff.  Getting to touch and see the colors of different specialty floss is great.  Also stumbling across patterns you might never see really hits it with me.  At the other store in NH, I ended up buying a kit for a pillow with two bunnies on it.  It is OOE brand which I believe is Danish.  I would have never found the pattern if it wasn't for them!  It's really adorable and was a lot of fun.  Little finds like that, plus extra technique tips and gadgets are my favorite.

Again, I really like the Alaskana type patterns, they make good gifts for people and you just don't find them around otherwise. 

I seriously wish a needlework store existed in Fairbanks.  It would be so much fun! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking to de-stash cross stitch magazines, particularly Cross Stitch Gold or New Stitches?  Please drop me a line!  I'd love to swap or buy some missing from my library!
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013 09:12:38 AM »

There are so many yarn shops but only one cross stitch store and it is kind of a drive to get to. We have had meet ups in coffee shops before.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Blog!
My pinterest
Proud member of SEEN: the Society of Ernestly Embroidering Nerds
Archangeldecker
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013 09:12:04 PM »

I LOVE going to my LNS to hang out. I am lucky enough to have one here where I am now and another one in Las Vegas. I miss the Wednesday stitch ins at the one in LV! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

---

Respectfully submitted,

C.

"How often have I said that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?" Sherlock Holmes

http://archangeldecker.blogspot.com/
mrsflibble

will work for yarn

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013 12:59:10 PM »

the nearest I have to a needlework shop is Hobbycraft, the British version of hobbylobby. so.. no lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Hairapy Ep 106: Heidi
Hair How To: Structured Chignon
Rock Out With Cotton Candy-Colored Hair This Summer
Hairapy Ep 105: Jennifer
How to Get a Red Carpet Ready Hairdo
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...