A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 305,018
Currently Running With Scissors:
472 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tudor clothing- rather picture obese; more added from the event :D  (Read 1668 times)
Tags for this thread: tudor  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mrsflibble

will work for yarn

View Profile
« on: July 01, 2013 03:42:41 AM »

My child is home educated. On wednesday this week we shall be swanning off to Kentwell Hall in Suffolk to enjoy a Home Educator's Tudor Day for which we need to be dressed in Tudor garb... otherwise the time machine won't work.

These costumes have taken me over a month to source and make everything needed. They're verging on historically accurate, had I not used a sewing machine, polyester thread, lycra socks and polycotton for my daughter's underdress and bonnet. I'm all in linen. We should have woolen dresses, as during most of Queen Elizabeth I's reign, Englad suffered almost a mini ice age with summer temperatures never getting over about 10 degrees C. So they needed their layers, their woolen broadcloth, their heavy linen.... We're in summer 2013 and the temperature on wednesday is going to be about 24 dec C. uuuurgh.

anyway, I'm in brown, she's in orange. YES they would have had orange clothing; this is basically the shade you get from freshly pulled onion skins.

so, we have our underdresses, our skirts and bodices, our aprons and our belts.

This has been a nightmare project due to my sewing machine breaking AGAIN, being fixed AGAIN, TWICE and then ending up catastrophically destroying itself on literally the last inch of the hem of my apron. thankfully, this was the last item of clothing for the trip too Cheesy And new machine is on its way. I'd been saving for one anyway.

I wanted more pictures of us in our clothing, close ups etc but the child's mood this morning didn't hold with those kind of shenanigans.

ok so that's me, child and elephant. on my belt is a cup on a leather thong, a "pocket" (circle of leather, drawn up and draw-strung for holding money) and a long, thin pocket to hold Ye Olde EpiPen. yeah...that one's a bit of a stretch, but I can't be without it so it had to be incorporated.

Child's belt has a cup and a pocket. her cup had no handle so I've actually made a wrap for it from leather. The leather for all of these things, again, came from the jumble. I got a long, patchwork leather skirt in a UK Ladies' size 14 (too small for me) for 1 and spent an afternoon unpicking it. I then sold someoffcuts of leather on ebay for 2.99, so made a profit.

My shoes are fabulous, really hideous. they're brown leather, and look so like a pair of tudor man's shoes that I was very happy indeed. A woman of my status (working class) would probably not have had her own shoes unless she was farming, she would have borrowed those of her husband and just had leather footwraps like my viking shoes that are somewhere in the depths of craftster. So, yeah. men's shoes. well, boy's. I have teensy feet. I found those shoes in a charity shop for 2.99.

My over dress is made from linen, it's the only bit of actual, new, off the bolt fabric that I bought. 3m of the stuff. thankfully I'm short so was able to make the skirt shorter than a normal person's. I used the selvedge as a hem, because I hate hemming.

My under dress is linen. I got a linen bed sheet and a pillow case from a local jumble (rummage) sale. 50p for the two Cheesy

The cuffs of my under dress are the only bit of decoration I have. they're ruffled and have a string closure. and a loose thread. apologies for that.

My bodice started life as a simple, laced waistcoat shape. but I put it on and it was so hideous, and so wrong that I took it off, put it on inside out, pinned, basted, sewed and cut to reshape it.

(here's the lining)

I used a very stiff interfacing for the busk; the place where the laces go. I didn't want the unfortunate bunching or puckering of the fabric one sees on un-stiffened bodices. I have not boned it, not am I wearing a corset. that's one step too far for me. I have to travel an hour and a half to get to the place, wearing a corset for that time? nope.

The child even has tudor shoes.

yeah, ok so my leatherwork's a bit pants, but there you go. oh, and the only leather I had that was stiff enough for the soles of her shoes is red. so she has a pair of "Ye Boutins".

Child's dress is orange cotton, no, not linen unfortunately and yes, they would have had that exact shade. It started life as a duvet cover. again, rummage sale find, again wonderfully cheap.

Her underdress is polycotton and has simple draw cuffs, none of this ruffling stuff. her bonnet is straight edged as befits a girl of the time. she does not need to hide her hair either, only married ladies needed to do that.

Child's bonnet, winged the pattern but referred to historical documents for reference.

My bonnet and wrap, complete with Ye Olde Duckface. Ths is actually a made up pattern, I based it on that worn by historian Ruth Goodman in Tales From The Green Valley. That's set just one king later, so the fashions would have been similar if not the same. It's shaped to denote that I am married.

and finally, the child has a toy elephant which goes absolutely everywhere with her. Ergo, this elephant needs to be dressed right.

Arrietty is sporting a polycotton under dress, woolen over dress with satin stitched hems, a Tudor Blackwork embroidered apron and even she has a cup on her belt (thankyou ebay!) yes, she's higher status than us hence why she gets embroidery. the Sumptuary Laws of the time were quite specific. Her bonnet is also polycotton.

so... can I cook, or can I cook?! lol!!

ADDITION: I ended adding a bit more fabric to the bottom of my bodice because it wasn't sitting right, and it was much better.

At the event, I actually got asked for directions by another visitor, so I must have looked good lol. I had many compliments on my outfit, as did the daughter and the elephant.

The child, in the stocks, showing off her "YeBoutins"

and finally, this is my kid. looking all tudorish, chatting to chickens.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2013 11:03:29 AM by mrsflibble » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Leslieshappyheart
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

A happy heart makes the face cheerful! Pr 15:13

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013 04:29:05 AM »

What an amazing project! Your attention to detail makes this very impressive.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My crafty blog: Leslie's Art and Sew

My dolly blog: Blythe Happy
Taramor
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013 05:08:08 AM »

Whau - what a lot of work! You look great, all three of you  Cheesy. And I'm sure you both learned a lot about history.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Feast Your Eyes
People are entitled to their hobbies, and I'm entitled to think those people are creepy. - Raylan Givens, Justified

Serial Craft Dabbler

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013 05:54:12 AM »

As a reenactor, I really appreciate all the hard work and thought you put into your garb. You look good, too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Honored to be a J&T Featured Member

Vintage sewing patterns and unique jewelry at
Sinners' Feast
thisbirdsabsurd

Be Happy!

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013 08:05:51 AM »

PHEW!!  I'm exhausted just looking at all the work that went into this project!  You had to have been the best dressed couple there!!  Lovely work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy shop is here!  www.thisbirdsabsurd.etsy.com
LovelyMiss

I don't need no instructions to know how to rock.

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2013 08:48:48 AM »

Wow, they are awesome!  You even made shoes...that's so cool!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ysmeine
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2013 09:20:05 AM »

that must have been fun. You three look great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ScrappySue
Tutorial Contributor

Oh, not you. We named the monkey Jack.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2013 07:05:51 AM »

how awesome! I love your clothes  Grin
I am working on a Tudor outfit myself, so it was lovely to see what you have done,
Cheers
Sue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've started a wist!
http://wists.com/scrappysue
working on the Teesha Moore craftalong
Destashing the craft room
jenniy122
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2014 11:30:03 PM »

"yeboutins" I love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Authentic Barbecued Rib Recipes
How to Make BBQ Sauce and Coleslaw
Peppered Grilled Hamburger
Fourth of July Chicken Salad Recipe
How to Make Sweet Corn Succotash
Latest Blog Articles
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner
Tute Tuesday: Upcycled Car Trash Bag with Liner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...