A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 300,916
Currently Running With Scissors:
626 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Your Pros & Cons for Using Velcro?  (Read 1675 times)
Tags for this thread: velcro  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

RedBirdTrue
« on: June 27, 2013 10:54:09 AM »

I've been reading here for about a month and just joined. So excited to be part of this great community!

When I was a little girl my Granny taught me to sew. I can manage the simple basics but just decided to really get into sewing again because I love making my own bags and purses.

I've made a couple of bags and used Velcro on them on pockets and various other closures. I'm happy with them so far but I'm wondering why I don't see more people using Velcro for closures.

Is it considered beginner-ish? Are there traits about Velcro that will later make me wish I hadn't used it?

I'd love to hear feedback from everyone on their usage of Velcro - the good and the bad.

Thanks! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~~~ Don't sweat it, just make it! I'm sure it will be great. ~~~
sally67
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013 05:49:10 AM »

Hi RedBirdTrue,

I enjoy making bags too. I have used velcro also but I tend to find that over time it looks scruffy as it collects fluff etc. and doesn't close very accurately either. I now prefer the magnetic closures for pockets etc. There are some that are use claws to hold them in place and others that are simply a flat magnet that you trap between two layers of fabric are are unseen on the finished item. I like these better than velcro.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafting is my favorite waste of time.
Silhouette vs Cricut
wildwoodgardens
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013 10:24:20 PM »

The main advantage is that it is cheap to use. The disadvantage is that over time sometimes the seam that holds the Velcro can come loose from wear and tear. I used magnetic closures for larger bags but I still use Velcro for small items.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013 09:03:04 AM »

I personally love velcro and use it on my own bags. Really, a cloth bag is going to start looking ratty within a few months, they don't last forever and every few months I want to have a new bag anyway.

I find the magnets are too wussy for an actual big/full bag. Then again, if you get magnets that are too strong, you could mess up your cell phone/ipad/etc. Zippers are a good skill to master.

I like buttons with a flap/button hole or a flap/stretchy loop, but some folks find those to be a pain.

To each his/her own.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RedBirdTrue
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2013 01:46:44 PM »

Thanks for the feedback - it is really helpful.

I've seen  hidden flat magnets on "store bought" purses. Any ideas where I could pick up some flat magnets to try on future bags I'm making?

On most of my cotton bags I tend to think like CraftyChef - they have somewhat of a built-in shelf life to start with by nature of the fabric durability. 

I will post some pics of the hobo purse I made that has the Velcro closures. So far I am happy with the Velcro but next time I make a bag I need to increase the length of the pockets. I thought I allowed enough to compensate for the Velcro closures but when I put in my iPhone in it's case I'm about a quarter inch shy of the space I need.  As the saying goes "missed it by that much."
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftscout
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013 07:49:33 AM »

As the saying goes "missed it by that much."

LOL!  Been there, done that.

I like using velcro where I don't want to have to worry about being fussy or accurate about how I close the opening, like to secure messenger bag flaps.  I prefer to just be able to drop them however and know that they will "catch".

Velcro is also good for those "ooops, I forgot to plan for a closure here" moments since it can be easily added just about anywhere, and can be handstitched without too many hassle (for me).

But, I HATE the noise. Smiley

As far as the flat magnets go, I haven't tried the method mentioned by sally67 (though I will be sampling now), but maybe you could try with little button magnets you can get a hobby stores (Michaels, Hobby Lobby, Joann's, etc.)?  Maybe even the magnetic tape?  It's not strong, but as CraftyChef said, if it was too strong, it would mess with your electronics.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Set your life on fire.
Seek those who fan your flames."
-Rumi
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2013 08:09:07 AM »

I usually make a little strip as wide as the velcro and use the strap to close the pocket, not put the velcro on the inside pocket to close itself. Works wonders, and you can even have your phone sticking out a little of the pocket and it will still close.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RedBirdTrue
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2013 01:24:58 PM »

That sounds very interesting. Do you have a pic so I can see an example?

I like using velcro where I don't want to have to worry about being fussy or accurate about how I close the opening

This! I didn't realize that was one of the reasons I like Velcro so much - I find it quicker to use on the fly.

I've done various buttons and magnets and when I'm running across the parking lot at my office in the morning trying not to be late, and I'm shoving my phones and my keys in the pockets, I can easily close Velcro as I'm jogging and jiggling.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2013 07:40:44 AM »

Don't have a picture, but let's say you make a simple patch pocket and sew it to your bag lining (sew a square of velcro below the outside/top of the pocket.Then, you sew a rectangle, 3" long, 3/4" wide. Sew the other square of velcro onto one end of the rectangle. Stick your phone in the pocket, attach the velcro mates together and then you can mark where to sew the non-velcro end of the rectangle above the phone to keep your it secure.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Krissy.me
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2013 05:21:25 PM »

While I like and do use velcro in some applications... I haven't used it on a purse.  I did think briefly to use it on a cosmetic type bag but decided to go with a zipper for the reason suggested.  After awhile you get junk caught up in the velcro and it doesn't close right or perhaps stick would be the better word.

The idea of magnets is interesting.  While I have seen those purse magnetic closures and I have thought of buying some.  I have a few different listings listed on the bay saved to my watch list.  Maybe I will give them a go....  But overall for a purse closure I like a zipper.  If the bag tips over I don't want all my stuff rolling out.  At least with a zipper if that happens everything stays inside.

But going back to the magnets gave me an idea from something I did a couple of months ago.    One of the things I hate is plastic shower curtains and I prefer the fabric ones for the inside curtain.  Leaving the pretty one on the outside that is for decoration.  But the inside curtain needs to stay inside to be effective and it seems like I was always wiping up water from the floor after the kids would shower.   So I bought some fishing weights (super cheap) a couple of packages and put one inside the bottom of the shower curtain seam and I sewed it in place ever 5 inches or so.   That weigh (LOL) the shower curtain stayed put in the bottom of the tub.   I'll have to make a post about that IMHO that was a really good idea and the shower curtain doesn't creep up and is always straight down.   

So going back to using what I did with the shower curtain and other magnets that I have bought off the bay that were strong earth neodymium magnets.   You would need to make a pocket for the magnets to slide into and then carefully mark where your seams would go to so they didn't slide around and stayed in their spot.  Then put one on each side and they would come together when in use, but easily separated when you want to get into it.  But you can get them pretty flat and I have bought these that are 1/2" in diameter by 1/8" thick.  A nice size for lots of applications including refrigerator or locker magnets.

Mods if this is a violation link please remove it.
I have bought from this seller, I have nothing to gain by posting this.  I have bought from this seller like 5 times in the last few years and was very happy buying from them and when I need more I will be ordering from them again. They also have other sizes.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/400076765754?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

So that's an idea on the magnets if you wanted to hide magnets between the layers without buying special purse magnet closures.   I may have to try that in making a purse for an interior pocket.  But you do have the issue of magnets with electronics so use with care when you carry a cell phone.  Perhaps make a cell phone pocket on the outside of the purse on the opposite side of the magnets.  But it might be a nice idea for a school bag for a school aged girl.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I make soap and other "cosmetics" as defined by the FDA and in my spare time I sew.... Sewing is therapy for me in dealing with life stresses and my chronic pain.  When I hurt and can't sew, I plan what I want to sew.  I also have a great husband, three kids and three fur kids.....
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use the New Features in Adobe Acrobat Lesson 1
Introduction to Adobe Encore - Overview
An Overview of Adobe Acrobat Lesson 3
An Overview of Adobe Acrobat Lesson 2
An Overview of Adobe Acrobat Lesson 1
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...