A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 299,157
Currently Running With Scissors:
502 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crochet for the closet: coat hangers and soap sachets  (Read 473 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Naantje
« on: July 13, 2013 02:07:22 PM »

I'm already preparing for new year! We have a large family gathering two weeks after new year each year (over 50 people!) and every «nest» gives, preferably crafted, gifts to every individual/couple of the family, at a maximum budget of €3/head. (Nests are each child of my grandmother and their offspring, and the three children of my great-aunt and their partners.)

Since my grandmother passed away in may, I wanted to do something to commemorate her. We received three boxes of bars of soap (a cold war hoard!) that she had stuffed in between her clothes, bedsheets and towels to keep them smelling fresh. I proposed we make sachets for the soap, to hang them on coat hangers, and we could gift those. It would be very much in her spirit. We'll be using different techniques to make the bags, sewing, knitting, crochet and I might try my hand at weaving and knotting too. They're an ideal project for testing new stitches, I tried out the delta crochet stitch with double crochet and triple crochet (triple is better) and the knitted bag is a sampler of a k1p1-rib stitch, stockinette, seed stitch, and a checkerboard pattern. I haven't knitted much so far, so doing these trial runs give me a good idea of how stitches look ánd I like not having to frog my work Smiley

The coat hanger is also inspired by my gran. It really is a vintage technique and I received some of the wooden hangers from her closet. She had crochet hangers that went to my niececousin, because I can make my own Smiley

« Last Edit: July 13, 2013 03:18:39 PM by Naantje - Reason: In Dutch, the word for female cousin and niece is the same, I tend to mix these up in English! » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My 50 in '14

Calling all talented witches and wizards to join us in the Winter Semester of the Harry Potter Craftalong.
veggiechef
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013 03:39:47 AM »

What a nice way to remember your Grandmother. I especially love the hanger. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BE the change you wish to see in the world-Gandhi
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Dutch Baby Pancake Recipe
Buttermilk Pancake Recipe
How to Make Cinnamon Rolls
Jambalya Recipe from New Orleans
How to make Scrambled Eggs with Smoked Salmon and Asparagus
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...