A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 299,162
Currently Running With Scissors:
599 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What makes a bedroom look "romantic"  (Read 1664 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

gingery
« on: July 07, 2005 01:35:16 PM »

I have decided to redecorate my bedroom...at the moment, I just have a queen-size bed with blue blankets (that I don't particularly care for) that just has the frame underneath and a piece of junk side table that is dark brown (made from particle board.) It's pretty plain.

I would like for my bedroom to look more "romantic."  I plan on using lots of red.  I want to have one of those bedrooms that are so cozy, you never want to leave.  My bed is super super comfy, and I plan on buying extra comfy blankets and pillows...I was just wondering if you guys had any suggestions to give it that added touch.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fancypantsayla
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2005 01:41:04 PM »

Romantic bedrooms mean lounging around in bed, of course!  I suggest lots of pillows, made of interesting fabrics, like velvet or silk.  I've had some really good luck finding bargain fabrics, so these needn't be extremely expensive.  Plus pillows are MUCH cheaper to make than to buy.  If you have windows, gauzy or dark curtains could be a good touch.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gingery
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2005 01:46:56 PM »

I plan on making the pillows and the curtains (once i buy a sewing machine) then I'm going to splurge on fancy sheets.  I'm going to have to keep my animals out of my bedroom after it's all done.  Don't want the kitty to tear up the curtains or the dog rolling around on my blankets..
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gingery
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2005 01:56:36 PM »

I'm afraid of doing an overkill on the red.  Would say, white gauzy curtains soften it up a bit?  Then again, I don't want it to be too girly..
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Poprocksandcoke
child of the spookie

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2005 01:59:17 PM »

Romantic? Like the romantic peirod? If you do, add some lace. And, If I were you, I would decopauge the side table with some music from the Romantic period. But that's just me. I love the romantic period.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Your mouth is likean open sore, where kisses rot and die
fancypantsayla
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2005 02:08:53 PM »

About the red overdose: a couple other colors to try and incorporate might be brown-tones or black if you want it really lush.  Or the white could lighten it up some, too.  Or even a bit of champagne color in there...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Flareon
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2005 11:16:45 PM »

I have some suggestions:

1.  Proper lighting: if color affects mood, and light affects color, then light affects mood. 
I like to install a pink 40 watt light bulb to one of my bedroom lamps to give it a nice warm glow.  Check out this lamp selling at Walmart for cheap:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=2618780
Now imagine the bulb coloring the frosted shade a nice romantic rosy color.  And behold the base; doesn't it resemble a heart? 
You can also install antique sconces on the walls near the bed.  Some resemble candles, but actually employ tiny lightbulbs.  Very classy and beautiful.  Here are some examples to inspire you:
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00023AX34.01-A1YMVIJYG60OCP.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
http://www.artexpressgifts.com/gifts/images/items/RW33596.jpg
http://www.widerview.com/ub2133.jpg
You could probably even make something close to the last one. 

2.  Flowers are always romantic.  You can go with classic roses or for some flair go with orchids or calla lilies.  Cherubs are cute and romantic too, as are swans, doves and the like.  Going overbaord with the cutesy stuff probably isn't a good idea; but a little can add whimsy.  I personally dislike floral themes objects, such as fabric, wallpaper, and furniture (too old-fashioned), but prefer to have real or silk versions arranged in tasteful vases or get this...chianti wine bottles, you know, the roundish ones with the straw wrapping. 

3.  Nothing says romance like a nice headboard, preferably metal sculpture or scrolled wood.  That can be expensive, but at least you can throw some large, lace trimmed velvet pillows against it to provide...cushion.  Here is some eye candy:
http://tahoe-vacation-rental-cabins.com/images/red-headboard.jpg
http://www.charlesprogers.com/images/1/8NTR.jpg
http://staparish.net/townhouse/MBdRmHeadboard_IMG.JPG
http://www.homevisions.com/hvprod/prod_display1.asp?Product=9207&partner=18&CP=00

4.  You could beautify your not-so-romantic table simply by throwing some lace over it.  Or you can obtain a piece of glass in the exact table top dimension, glue a flat glass marble (or whatever handy) on the underside of each corner and lay dried flowers, photos, cards, or other momentos between it and the table.  The marbles will give you about a 1/4 in. room between the glass and table easier for fitting the objects and lifting the glass for cleaning.   

5.  If you never want to leave the bed, and it's hot, try linen bed sheets.  I mean flax linen, the real thing, the luxury fabric.  That stuff is amazing and gets better and better the more you wash it.  It stays so cool on your skin, you don't even need AC.  It's pricey though, but it'll last a century with good care. 

I hope I gave to some ideas to work with. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gingery
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2005 08:25:35 AM »

I've been contemplating getting a headboard/footboard from ikea.  This is what it looks like:

I would also like to get a canopy of sorts...the kind that you hang from the ceiling.  I've seen them before, I just need to go find one. 

As for the side table, it's a little too short so I think I'm going to either toss it or put it in another room.  I hate having to reach down to turn off my alarm clock and almost fall out of bed Wink

I've thought about adding a small recliner or similiar chair in like the corner or something.  I'm definitely going to invest in a lamp with a frosted shade and a pink lightblub.  Smiley  I need to find patterns to make pillows, and buy fabric for curtains (after I buy the sewing maching of course) I'm also going to splurge on fancy sheets, but I don't know anything about thread counts, etc. 

Thanks so much for your suggestions!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Notamermaid
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2005 08:30:38 AM »

Sheets:
Threadcount matters, but so does the brand. Cheap sheets with medium-high thread counts can still pill after a washing or two (look at the target website and read the product reviews!). Try discount stores (TJ Maxx, marshalls, etc). Look for a threadcount of at LEAST 350. ive found good sheets at TJ Maxx before - good sheets make all the difference!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Flareon
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2005 10:19:28 AM »

I've been contemplating getting a headboard/footboard from ikea.  This is what it looks like:

I have that!  LOL  When I moved for college, I furnished my entire 1-bed apartment (minus sofa and TV) for $1200 from IKEA.  That headboard is fabulous for the price. 

Edit: before you commit to buy a canopy make sure you know exactly how it will appear in your room.  Even a small canopy tends to overwhelm the room it's in, making it look very small and stuffy.  If you really desire a canopy, there are ways to get around the shrinking-factor.  May I ask, how large is your room? 
« Last Edit: July 08, 2005 10:31:25 AM by Flareon » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Latte Artist Shares Secret To Spicing Up Your Cup Of Joe
George Zimmerman Painting Sells For More Than $100K On EBay
Alec Monopoly Goes From Climbing Walls to Hosting Yacht Parties
Street Artists Madsteez And Rone Hit The Walls At Art Basel 2013
Art Basel 2013 Offers Lots Of Parties ...And Lots Of Art
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...