I bought a couple of mystery grab bags of girls' toys, from one of the local thrift stores, several days ago, and one of the items that I ended up with was an 8.8 cm (3.5") tall Disney Cinderella figurine that has three molds, on the bottom of her base, for a pumpkin, bird, and female mouse. There weren't any copyright markings on her, but my best guess would be that said item was originally from a Play-Doh set. I suppose you could use it as a (tiny) cookie cutter too, if you were so inclined.
Anyway, I decided to make a bunch of casts from it, so, I mixed up some bread clay [check out my tutorial (http://www.angelfire.com/ult/ace/bread_clay.html
) if you're interested in making a batch of said substance for yourself]. I made five of each item, but I still had some modeling compound left over, even after all that, so, I created a generic snail, by hand, with what remained.
As I usually make my models out of paper and/or cardboard, they seldom break when I drop them on the floor. Unfortunately, that isn't the case with clay, which is generally heavier, and more brittle, than papier mache, as such, when I carelessly dropped the snail, both of its antennae snapped off on me (had I used a wire armature, they probably would have just developed cracks and bent instead of breaking apart). One of the antennae disappeared on the carpet somewhere, and I wasn't going to mix up another batch of bread clay just to make repairs, so, I cut off a couple of segments from a leftover papier mache "snake", from a past project, to replace the snail's damaged projections. Likewise, one of the pumpkin stems broke off and vanished into the depths of the garbage can while I was trimming off flash (the leftover clay "fringe" from the molding process), and I replaced that with a papier mache construct as well.
I let everything air dry, in an open window, for a couple of days before I painted them. Bread clay has a tendency to warp and develop cracks as it cures, particularly with thin items like these castings. That's less than desirable, but I've never figured out a way to prevent it, so, I just had to live with the resulting defects.
Five of each item was probably overkill, but, I wanted to use up all of the bread clay in one go. It dries out and becomes unworkable relatively quickly, especially on a hot day, if you don't periodically moisten it again with water and/or more white glue, or keep it sealed in an airtight container like a plastic bag.
Acrylic paint and bread clay [which consists of a slice of crust-less white bread, water (actually saliva in this case, because I'm gross like that), and white glue]. I also used some papier mache (newsprint and white glue) on the snail and one of the pumpkins to replace small pieces that I broke off and lost, prior to painting them.
Pumpkins: 3.4 cm (1.3") wide x 2.2 cm (0.9") tall.
Birds: 2.3 cm (0.9") wingspan x 2.1 cm (0.8") long.
Mice: 1.6 cm (0.6") wide x 2.3 cm (0.9") tall.
Snail: 3.8 cm (1.5") long x 3.3 (1.3") tall.
The pumpkins, mice, and birds were all cast on July 24th, 2014, and the snail was modeled on the same day.
All sixteen pieces were then painted/sealed on July 26th and 27th, 2014.