A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 302,371
Currently Running With Scissors:
505 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cinderella birds, mice, and pumpkins bread clay casts + a bonus snail figurine  (Read 1451 times)
Tags for this thread: cinderella , disney , mouse , bird , pumpkin , snail , bread_clay  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Patraw
« on: July 28, 2014 08:24:50 AM »

I bought a couple of mystery grab bags of girls' toys, from one of the local thrift stores, several days ago, and one of the items that I ended up with was an 8.8 cm (3.5") tall Disney Cinderella figurine that has three molds, on the bottom of her base, for a pumpkin, bird, and female mouse. There weren't any copyright markings on her, but my best guess would be that said item was originally from a Play-Doh set. I suppose you could use it as a (tiny) cookie cutter too, if you were so inclined.

Anyway, I decided to make a bunch of casts from it, so, I mixed up some bread clay [check out my tutorial (http://www.angelfire.com/ult/ace/bread_clay.html) if you're interested in making a batch of said substance for yourself]. I made five of each item, but I still had some modeling compound left over, even after all that, so, I created a generic snail, by hand, with what remained.

As I usually make my models out of paper and/or cardboard, they seldom break when I drop them on the floor. Unfortunately, that isn't the case with clay, which is generally heavier, and more brittle, than papier mache, as such, when I carelessly dropped the snail, both of its antennae snapped off on me (had I used a wire armature, they probably would have just developed cracks and bent instead of breaking apart). One of the antennae disappeared on the carpet somewhere, and I wasn't going to mix up another batch of bread clay just to make repairs, so, I cut off a couple of segments from a leftover papier mache "snake", from a past project, to replace the snail's damaged projections. Likewise, one of the pumpkin stems broke off and vanished into the depths of the garbage can while I was trimming off flash (the leftover clay "fringe" from the molding process), and I replaced that with a papier mache construct as well.

I let everything air dry, in an open window, for a couple of days before I painted them. Bread clay has a tendency to warp and develop cracks as it cures, particularly with thin items like these castings. That's less than desirable, but I've never figured out a way to prevent it, so, I just had to live with the resulting defects.

Five of each item was probably overkill, but, I wanted to use up all of the bread clay in one go. It dries out and becomes unworkable relatively quickly, especially on a hot day, if you don't periodically moisten it again with water and/or more white glue, or keep it sealed in an airtight container like a plastic bag.

Materials:
Acrylic paint and bread clay [which consists of a slice of crust-less white bread, water (actually saliva in this case, because I'm gross like that), and white glue]. I also used some papier mache (newsprint and white glue) on the snail and one of the pumpkins to replace small pieces that I broke off and lost, prior to painting them.

Dimensions:
Pumpkins: 3.4 cm (1.3") wide x 2.2 cm (0.9") tall.
Birds: 2.3 cm (0.9") wingspan x 2.1 cm (0.8") long.
Mice: 1.6 cm (0.6") wide x 2.3 cm (0.9") tall.
Snail: 3.8 cm (1.5") long x 3.3 (1.3") tall.

Time:
The pumpkins, mice, and birds were all cast on July 24th, 2014, and the snail was modeled on the same day.
All sixteen pieces were then painted/sealed on July 26th and 27th, 2014.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014 08:28:08 AM by Patraw » THIS ROCKS   Logged
kjlutz
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I am woman watch me grow!

Wherever you've been, He's been there

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014 09:23:18 AM »

those are really neat
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes you get to change the world, and other times the world changes you.

Currently drowning in the sea called PhD.

Interested in swapping for I-Spy Quilt Squares and Scraps.
sewmess

Even Mini crafts!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014 06:52:05 AM »

Materials:
Acrylic paint and bread clay [which consists of a slice of crust-less white bread, water (actually saliva in this case, because I'm gross like that), and white glue]. I also used some papier mache (newsprint and white glue) on the snail and one of the pumpkins to replace small pieces that I broke off and lost, prior to painting them.

Cheesy I had the opportunity to watch Laura Reynolds sculpt once and she used saliva to smooth and shape.  She made some comment along the lines of "If people know how much I really put into these sculptures."  I think it is the ultimate signature, nobody is going to be able to duplicate DNA.

And don't you love those unexpected thrift store finds?

Very nice little charms, and I can see how you might lose little bits while trimming the flash.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Reclaiming my Crafting heritage one stitch at a time.
Patraw
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014 06:16:56 AM »

I actually had a bottle of water within reaching distance, but I was too lazy to unscrew the cap when spit was quicker, lol.

I frequently buy cheap "blind" bags of toys from the local thrift store, so, I'm always getting neat little surprises like that Cinderella mold.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Build a Starship Enterprise Out of a Floppy Disk
How to Turn Soap Slivers Into a New Bar of Soap
How to Make an Optical Illusion Ring
How to Make Bakeable Modeling Clay Beads
How to Customize Your Backpack
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Veggie Bolognese Sauce
Mountain Views
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...