A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 300,872
Currently Running With Scissors:
670 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cyril the Postman Hedgehog  (Read 694 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ClickCait
« on: June 23, 2013 09:37:10 AM »

Meet Cyril, the Postman Hedgehog, knitted from the pattern in Jean Greenhowe's Knitted Hedgehogs. I had a bit of money from a relative at Christmas and I decided that I wanted to get Knitted Toy Collection and Knitted Animals but when I saw Knitted Hedgehogs I knew I had to add that to my basket too.

As I'd knitted a Puss in Boots for my Nan and Grandma Humpty Dumpty for my husband, my husband made noises that he was feeling a bit left out. I'd originally planned to do one of the baby hedgehogs in cute pastel green and purple so I'd have a ready-made gift next time someone announced the imminent arrival of a sproglet but as soon as he saw the Postman he announced he had to have him. And as I'd been considering that pattern myself, who was I to refuse him?

I don't really do embroidery so I was tempted to leave the badge blank, but Jean Greenhowe's instructions are so clear that it was actually really simple to make the crown. I'm really impressed that you can actually tell what it's meant to be!

I love those little pockets. They're actual pockets that you can put (very small) things into. I love that level of detail!

I'd actually pretty much finished him well before yesterday (which was why I'd moved on to knitting Great Uncle Angus). Cyril himself was finished but not his little accessories - the tie for the postbag, the tag and the postcard. I wasn't too bothered about making them, but now they're done I think they really finish him off well.

The tag is double-sided because I felt like it needed something more on the other side. I also should have made the tie by doing a twisted cord, but I hate doing long ones and this should have been 30cm long. In the end I measured out three stripes of wool (two light brown and one dark to make it look interesting) at 45cm each and plaited them together; the end result is just over 30cm long and I think it does the job just as well as a twisted cord. Given the way I make twisted cords it's a lot neater too!

As a reward for getting a new role at work my husband bought me a box of miniature Heroes this week so I picked out all the caramel ones (which I'm not keen on) and stuffed Cyril's postbag with them. If I'd had a bit more time I would've actually bought some treats to go in the bag for him, it's a little bit cheap giving him chocolates that he bought, hehe, but I wanted to give him Cyril as soon as he was done and I felt like he needed something in his postbag.

It's a little bit ironic that one of my favourite bits of Cyril isn't even knitted! I spent a good bit of time yesterday making this postcard:

The picture in the pattern booklet had a little crown on the stamp but I thought a hedgehog would be more appropriate. I've blurred out the address but it's addressed to my husband (and postmarked the day before so that it would have arrived by yesterday's post Wink). On the other side is a little note to my husband telling him how wonderful he is at taking care of me and how much I love him (he's just treated me to a Kindle Fire so I think he deserves a hedgehog bearing gifts Wink).

I really enjoyed this pattern. It was so detailed and fairly quick to knit up (I started him back in May I think and had a course and an exam which slowed me down). I've decided that the next one I do from this book will be the Town Crier, who will be named Cedric (because I kept on accidentally calling Cyril, Cedric). I think they'll make a good pair.

Has anyone else made any patterns from this booklet? I'd love to see photos of your little hedgehog guys.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013 12:08:36 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed links to images » THIS ROCKS   Logged
ledleeaf
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013 10:01:58 PM »

Cyril is adorable!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ClickCait
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013 10:58:05 AM »

Thanks, he really is. I'm looking forward to making the town crier too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
VegJess

Pretending to be a functioning adult is exhausting

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013 07:06:47 PM »

You are so talented!! He is just amazing. :-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Molly Merula
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2013 12:15:21 PM »

How cute! I'll have to look for that book; I haven't seen it before. The postmark is lovely!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Tinsley Mortimer on Her Book Southern Charm
Bethenny Frankel on Her Novel Skinnydipping
Poet Adam Kammerling Performs "Woof Quack Meow, Neigh Moo Oink"
Chris Parkinson Performs His Poem "Men of Straw"
How to Write a Research Paper
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Super Easy Peppermint Bark
Handmade Gift Ideas: Grey & Plum Button Wreath
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...