So... I know the idea is not all that original. But I'm a massive potter head, and my buddy had pinned a couple of the themed TM patch bags so I figured I had to make her one for her birthday
I decided to manufacture the bag a little differently from the ones I'd seen, I wanted the finished product to look like something Mrs Weasley would carry around
So I made up two mini-quilts of TM patches, then added a gusset and lining in bright felt (I used whip stitch throughout to keep that TM style going). I opted for hard handles at the top just because I liked the way they looked. It's soft and colourful, a bit messy (all hand sewn, not a machine in sight) but I was really pleased with how it came out and my friend likes it!
Anyway.... here's the result:
side one -
The patches here are:
- DA communication coin (on red background) with my friends birthday written along the edge as the date for the next meet-up. Metallic thread because I like shiny things!
- Lily heart graffiti - I was really pleased how the wood grain came out for this one:
- Mermaid bead (this is flipped up the wrong way in the main photo, opps!)
- the Crown of the Weasley King in metallic thread with sequins. I was really annoyed about the pen I used to sketch this one out, it was supposed to be washaway but I could not get it to budge. I used the same pen on the same fabric in other places and it was fine so I have no idea what happened here. Anyone have any clues what I did wrong?
- Winged Keys. These are actually two charms layered together - wings with keys on top, since I couldn't find any winged keys. I had to sew them pretty tightly to keep them paired, but I did leave a little movement so it looks kinda like the wings flutter
- Humming Bird patronus. I spoke to my friend's hubby and he suggested a humming bird as her patronus, as it's the national bird of Jamaica where they got married (plus it's pretty). I was super pleased with this patch - even through that silver thread is a pain to work with
- the sorting hat!
- the hallows symbol
- Harry's glasses and lightning scar
- a crystal ball
here the patches are:
- the mauraders map
- Padfoot's paw print
- 'This Button is a Portkey'
- A ravenclaw eagle (my friend is a ravenclaw like me). I was a bit disappointed with the text on this one, I went a bit off the rails, but didn't notice until I'd finished and I just didn't have the heart to unpick and re-sew all that metallic thread (I now hate metallic thread. It is such a pain. Anyone got any tips for how to make it behave while you sew with it?)
- SPEW badge - I just made cover buttons. I made a few in different sizes and colours so I could play with what looked best, and I threw the extras in the bag for my friend to attach to her none HP clothes so she can have a bit of Hermione wherever she goes
- A golden snitch with golden bead wings
- A firebolt
I mostly used running, back and stem stitch, plus a few french knots and some seed stitch in the backgrounds. I'd never done stem stitch before so I was pleased to have a chance to learn and I think it all came out pretty good.
All the patches are made from quilters cotton since I could get it in a range of colours. The lining and sides are felt, with a shop-brought wooden handle.
It may not seem like it, but I did try to restrict myself on pics - if there is anything else you would like to see close up I can post more! Sorry if it is already too clunky
I'd love any comments, ideas or constructive criticism
maybe someday I will do more bags for my other fandoms, I had fun making this and it's good to share some geek girl love