A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 304,741
Currently Running With Scissors:
586 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Spruce Tip Preparations (Pickled, Blended, and Jellified)  (Read 1113 times)
Tags for this thread: jelly  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dreadlocklove
« on: June 20, 2013 01:24:02 PM »

Bits and pieces from my blog (full story:  http://dreadlocklovely.wordpress.com/2013/06/20/spruce-tip-harvest-and-preparations/)... 

I was able to collect a few yogourt containers full of spruce tips because my neighbour happens to have a tree in her front yard.  I meant to pick the tips sooner when they were younger than shown in the photo, but I wasnt feeling the greatest and also the next fews days were busy, with an even busier weekend  There is a newfound appreciation that has set in, and confirmation that beings have their many facets.  I never held spruce tips before and they are so soft!  Its the feeling of walking into a soft moss, but that feeling in the palm of your hands.

After browsing some blogs on the internet, I came across a few recipes worth trying.  Born in the Wrong Century shared an easy one, a spruce tip and sea salt blend (http://borninthewrongcentury.com/2011/06/13/playing-with-spruce-tips-sugar-salt-vinegar-oh-my/):

I used a fine grey sea salt for mine, and opted to use 2 parts spruce tips to 1 part salt.  The blend is today still in the plate on the counter and Ive been noticing how pleasant the aroma is whenever I walk by.  Im not necessarily a big user of salt but my partner in an Herbalism swap I participate in likes to be in the kitchen and I felt this would be a suitable gift.  (I do plan on keeping a bit for myself to try too, though!)

Also, I used Food With Legs idea for pickled spruce tips (http://www.foodwithlegs.com/pickled-spruce-tips/)!

Im waiting patiently for this one to be ready!  One jar will be part of my dads belated fathers day gift and the rest will be enjoyed with the next few fish we catch.  Something tells me Ill be adding spices to next years batch but that these will be good enough that I should have made more and bothered processing properly.

Finally, I have some 4oz jars of spruce tip jelly sitting on the counter.  Minus one jar, which was given to my neighbour as a thank-you.  I winged a formula for this one.

YIELDS

Approximately 10 4oz jars

INGREDIENTS

- 3 cups Spruce Tips, cleaned and finely chopped

- 3 cups (best-quality possible) water

- 1 lemon, juiced

- 4 cups white granulated sugar

- 1 pouch CERTO liquid pectin

METHOD

1.  Prepare an infusion by combining the spruce tips and water in a medium-large saucepan and cover with a lid.  Bring the water to a boil then reduce and simmer for 10 minutes.  Remove from heat and allow to stand for 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, prepare your jars (washing and sterilizing).

2.  Strain the infusion (I use a yogourt strainer, it works like a charm!), putting the liquid back into the saucepan and composting the spruce tips.  Add more water to the saucepan if necessary, to maintain the 3 cup amount.

3.  Add the sugar and lemon juice to the liquid and bring the mixture to a boil over high heat.  Stir and boil hard for 1 minute.

4.  Remove the saucepan from heat and stir in the CERTO Liquid Pectin.  Keep stirring for approximately 5 minutes, removing any foam at the surface.

5.  Pour the mixture into the prepared jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace.  Stir the contents of each jar to remove air bubbles, clean the rims, cover the jars with the lids, and screw on the rings.  Process the jars for 10 minutes.  Let your jelly stand on the counter, untouched, for a day, then inspect each jar to ensure proper sealing.  Enjoy, gift, or store (remove the rings if storing)!

Note:  The end result is a very pale yellow jelly.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

How pleased can one sun setting make you, if you humble yourself to it?  -Ani DiFranco

Dreadlocklove on Etsy:
http://www.dreadlocklove.etsy.com

50 CRAFTS IN 2014
jexxican
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013 02:50:00 PM »

That is very interesting. Really, just tips of the tree? I am so confused but so in love with this concept.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The perplexity of life arises from there being too many interesting things in it for us to be interested properly in any of them."
- G. K. Chesterton

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life.

It's much more fun, this growing down. -RIP Uncle Shelby-
MissingWillow
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013 04:43:53 PM »

This is the new growth of a spruce tree, right?  How very interesting, I didn't know they were edible. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Farm Life Blog  
I'm a shepherd and have raw fleece.  PM me if you want to swap for some.

Craftster has gone mobile!  Read all about it here
leslieyam
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013 08:20:55 AM »

Interesting.  How would you describe the taste?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My TTC blog with cartoons:
http://hanginthereforbaby.blogspot.com/
*Updated every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday!
dreadlocklove
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013 04:38:06 AM »

That is very interesting. Really, just tips of the tree? I am so confused but so in love with this concept.

Yep, it's the the new tip growth.  If you pay attention in the spring, you'll notice the very tips are a much lighter colour and softer (have a feel!) than the already established needles.  Those are the parts that get picked.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013 04:38:47 AM by dreadlocklove » THIS ROCKS   Logged

How pleased can one sun setting make you, if you humble yourself to it?  -Ani DiFranco

Dreadlocklove on Etsy:

50 CRAFTS IN 2014
dreadlocklove
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013 04:39:38 AM »

Interesting.  How would you describe the taste?

I find it tastes mostly citrusy, with a hint of wood/forest in the aftertaste.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dreadlocklove on Etsy:

50 CRAFTS IN 2014
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use Dupliverts in Blender
How to Make a Blender Video Tutorial
How to Use Blender: Advanced Vital Functions
How to Use Photoshop - Dramatic Skies
SURIMPRESSIONS - GUACOLDA
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek
October 15, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...