A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,519
Currently Running With Scissors:
664 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I need serious photography help.  (Read 718 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

shilohcoral
« on: June 20, 2013 07:18:05 AM »

Hopefully somebody here can give me some pointers. So I live in an apartment with natural light but the sun isn't on my side of the building until after noon. The walls in my apartment are off white. My camera was a hand-me-down...I am 23 and remember taking it to my senior year of high school so it's not ancient but not fancy. However, no matter how much I do the white balance, it comes out just not very good or consistent when I'm doing model photos. Even my small items don't end up where I want. I try to lighten in photoshop but you can only do so much before the colors look washed out. The background always looks grey or off white.

So I need serious tips. I want to start giving my shop a distinct look but don't want to set up a whole space in my house for photos yet. Every time I look stuff up, it's general info or product photography for small items. I know this part of the forum is dead but maybe somebody can give me some good tips or advice. I don't have a lot of money but I'm willing to make simple things to make my photos better. I plan on making a backdrop but I know if I make it white, the problem will still be bad since I tried to run an Etsy shop with this camera before...

Here are some photos, post Photoshop editing.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Long time lurker, rarely a poster.
I like cats and rainbows.

http://www.mixymitzy.etsy.com -- sewing patterns, vtg clothes, destash, and more
http://www.mixymitzy.wordpress.com -- blog
http://www.mixymitzy.tumblr.com -- thrift finds, WIPs, amateur photos, and other fun stuff
PaperBeau
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013 08:22:09 AM »

Hiya!

Good question. I have some pointers for you!

1) For small items, try this (or mirror image obviously!) set up on a cloudy day/8am/4pm - aka not bright sunlight 0 your apartment actually sounds perfect for this!:

The idea is to not have too much direct light from behind your camera on your piece, this "flattens" the item - due to a lack of natural shadow. The backing boards can be as simple as white cardboard painted white, or covered in white/cream (cream is my preference) paper. I have a big A3 sheet that comes down and becomes the 'floor' too:

The main point of the extra (unseen) backing board is to reflect natural light back at the piece from the other direction, instead of this light getting lost in the room. Have a go with and without the board and you'll see a huge difference in the shadows, they soften and it makes the camera's job a lot easier - it's no longer focusing it's contrast based on shadows, but instead on your item itself.

Here's an example of a photo I took when I had just started using this method.

2) If you have any preset "scene" options on your camera, and you want to use a white background, try out "Snow" or "Winter" - it works amazingly well to combat the problems you experience with white backgrounds

3) Try getting the floor to be white - you can see the difference the floor is making in your own photos! I think because the camera thinks the floor is the darkest point, and other colours can get washed out in comparison. Or in your case it could be that your shiny floor is reflecting too much light back at the camera, and it's underexposing to adjust for this! To do this, get models to pose on a double sheet which you've hung from the ceiling (or above your photo height) and covers the portion of the floor which will be photographed.

Good luck - I'd love to see some photos after you've given some of my ideas a go!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Styling Ethnic Hair
Applying Toner to Ethnic Hair
How to Section Ethnic Hair for Coloring
Applying Highlights to Ethnic Hair
How to Section Your Hair
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...