A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,171
Currently Running With Scissors:
552 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Vouge 8784  (Read 710 times)
Tags for this thread: vogue_8784 , dress  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

AlenaSelene
« on: June 18, 2013 09:54:36 AM »

Pattern Description:
Lined wrap dress with tucks at the waist. View A has a full, flared skirt and cap sleeves. View B has a straight skirt with elbow length sleeves.

Pattern Sizing:
I was in between sizes and choose the larger size, I think the smaller size would have fit Ok.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
I made view B, without sleeves or a collar, and replaced the self fabric tie belt with a purchased belt. My dress looks like view B without sleeves, collar.

Were the instructions easy to follow?
Yes. The only tricky part was the tucks. I would eliminate the lining tucks.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
The lining. When I read reviews of this pattern I was startled. Reviewers were angry about the lining. Most were upset about a lining in general. I like linings, they protect the fabric from body oils and provide support.
But this lining is cut from the same pattern pieces as the skirt and bodice, and includes the tucks. So when the right and left sides of the dress overlap, four layers of tucks lie across the tummy area. Layer one is right side fabric, layer two is right side lining, layer three is left side fabric, layer four is left side lining. All this tucking makes a lot of bulk at the tummy!
I got the excess tuckage under control by stitching the tucks down. For the top layer, I carefully hand stitched inside each tuck, vertically, three or four inches. The stitches are hidden in the fold. For the lining of the top layer, I hand stitched vertically leaving the stitches visible, but its lining so thats ok. For the left layer, which is hidden under the top layer when worn, I simply machine stitched the tucks down flat, both fabric and lining together. I used two rows of horizontal stitching. The first row is about an inch below the waist, the second is a couple of inches below that.
If I were to make this dress again (or if I had taken the time to think instead of diving in), I would redraft the lining to eliminate the tucks. Id leave the tucks in the left side fashion fabric, but machine stitch them down vertically.

Fabric Used:
Cotton bark cloth in a classic Hawaiian print, with high thread count sheeting for the lining.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
Eliminated the collar and sleeves. Eliminated the self tie belt and belt buttonhole. I used hooks and eyes to fasten the dress together, and wear it with a purchased belt (sometimes red, sometimes green).

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
I might, if the right fabric comes along.
I would recommend with reservations, the reservations being all those layers of tucks. I would definitely redraft the lining to eliminate at least two layers of tucks.

Conclusion:
This dress was easy to make and its very comfortable to wear. My version is a cool yet sophisticated summer sundress.
Either view would make a nice office dress if made in a conservative fabric like a light wool crepe. I think view B, without the collar, would make an elegant LBD in velvet or chiffon, with or without sleeves.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013 02:24:28 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Curl Your Hair with a Clipless Curling Iron
How to Repair Damaged Hair Strands
How to Avoid Dry Hair
How to Grow Long, Healthy Hair
7 Fresh Ways to Style a Ponytail
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...