A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 302,574
Currently Running With Scissors:
717 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Lilac Jelly  (Read 1764 times)
Tags for this thread: flower , lilac , jelly , recipe , craftster_best_of_2013  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dreadlocklove
« on: June 18, 2013 11:26:37 AM »

The lilac flower harvest didn't go over so well last year.  Well...  I guess to be more accurate, the harvest itself went well (how can it not be convenient to have trees growing in two of three neighbours' yards, with branches growing over the fences and into mine?) but the rust appearance that came while drying them came as both a surprise and a turn-off.  They've remained untouched in a jar in the herb kitchen this entire time.

Last week I wondered if jelly could be made with the flowers and how it would taste.  I've grown a bit more fond of the aroma since moving here 5 years ago and it would be shame to let them go to waste.  As it usually turns out, someone posted a photo of a batch she had just finished (along with what seemed to be a delicious lilac and wild blueberry cookie with lilac glaze) that afternoon on Facebook.  So it can be done, thank you Universe!

I followed the recipe and procedure shared by The 3 Foragers (http://the3foragers.blogspot.ca/2011/05/lilac-recipe-lilac-jelly.html)

I took the photo of the jars and mis-written labels (it should read June 14, 2013, of course) soon after processing them and as the author noted, the colour does fade to more of a pale yellow.

The day I made the batch, I dipped my finger in the larger jar for a taste-test and was disappointed but after testing again just now, I feel that I shouldn't have given all the 4oz jars away so quickly (ha!)...  The ingredients have synergized quite well over the past few days!  If I remember clearly, and if my sinuses aren't confused because of a cold, I'd say there's a hint of pink club soda in there.  A very sweet pink club soda.

Not being as well acquainted with refined sugars these days, I'd like to experiment more with sugar-free pectins, and more specifically, with Pomona's Universal Pectin.  Is it available for purchase online within Canada, or will I have to import it?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013 11:09:54 AM by MissingWillow » THIS ROCKS   Logged

How pleased can one sun setting make you, if you humble yourself to it?  -Ani DiFranco

Dreadlocklove on Etsy:
http://www.dreadlocklove.etsy.com

50 CRAFTS IN 2014
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013 03:41:06 PM »

I had no idea Lilacs were edible.... One of my favourite flowers and I've been surrounded by them my entire life, and I never knew they were edible... I'll have to wait for next year now, but I'm so bookmarking this!  Thanks for the inspiration!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RhymeswOrange
please excuse her for the day, its just the way the medication makes her...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013 04:09:09 PM »

One of my favorite flowers!  I too had no idea they were edible!  Too bad I live in the southern US where it is apparently too hot for these lovelies.  I'll have to ask Mom to make some Lilac Jelly!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I think my cat is sending me subliminal messages...
JenniferSavage

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013 07:35:16 PM »

I never knew lilacs were edible, either! Now that I've found this, I'll have it bookmarked for next year! It looks fantastic!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I can make that!" has been the start of more misadventures than I can count Cheesy
Pinterest - http://pinterest.com/ShesASavage

My username was previously MyBabyIsACommunist!
MissingWillow
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013 05:09:45 PM »

Sigh, I wish we could grow lilacs here!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Farm Life Blog  
I'm a shepherd and have raw fleece.  PM me if you want to swap for some.

Craftster has gone mobile!  Read all about it here
hauntedcottage
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013 03:07:57 PM »

Wow! I should try this. I love lilacs, and the only reason I knew they were edible before this was because my cat was eating them and I panicked thinking they were poisonous... only to find out through some research that they aren't, hah.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please visit my Etsy store!
princess31785
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2013 09:23:37 PM »

That looks really good. I must admit that I may not be a rockstar in the kitchen but I am trying to, I can't be that bad for a long time anyway. I think I'll get better.

Just looking through some good recipes in here for dinner tonight. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dreadlocklove
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2013 04:47:26 AM »

Thanks for the comments everyone.  =)

I didn't have too much of an appreciation for them when I first moved to this neighbourhood five years ago.  They're all over the place, both of my side neighbours have a tree in the yard (the one neighbour has trees running along our entire fence) and it seems like most of the homes in this area have them too, so all it takes is a nose to know when lilacs are blooming.  I love them now though, especially knowing that there is potentially fifty of more (probably way more) batches of jelly available to me just for walking outside.

If you're not a superstar in the kitchen, you can even just start off with cold infusions.  Gather some flower and let them stand in water for a few hours.  I guess this depends on how strong and long you infuse for but the scent will transfer perfectly into water.  Plus, it's cool to watch the flowers stay so plump afterwards.  =)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

How pleased can one sun setting make you, if you humble yourself to it?  -Ani DiFranco

Dreadlocklove on Etsy:

50 CRAFTS IN 2014
donniesgirl
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2013 02:29:21 PM »

Ooh that looks good...lilacs don't do well in extreme heat or clay soil though so boo.   Cry  They are very pretty.

As for Pomona's, I have bought it at Sprouts or Whole Foods.  Not sure what your Canadian options are.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dreadlocklove
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2013 12:08:51 PM »

Thanks for the tip.  I've never heard of Sprouts and we don't have a Whole Foods here.  I'll have to keep searching, or wish for it in a cooking- or herb-related swap.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dreadlocklove on Etsy:

50 CRAFTS IN 2014
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Erick Setiawan Talks About Of Bees and Mist
David Grann Talks About The Lost City of Z
Jennifer Weiner Reads from Best Friends Forever Part 2
Jennifer Weiner Reads from Best Friends Forever Part 1
David A. Kessler Talks About The End of Overeating
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...