A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 299,162
Currently Running With Scissors:
565 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Butterick 5331  (Read 989 times)
Tags for this thread: review , butterick_5331 , blazer , bridal_satin , button , buttonhole , pattern_review  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Forteisbest
« on: June 12, 2013 12:01:27 AM »

A long long time ago, I started to make a dress out of a lovely dark blue bridal satin.  Alas, the dress was too short when I finished it (tall people problems, sigh), so the dress was set aside.  A while later, I saw the dress again, and decided I wanted a blazer.  I don't wear blazers though, and I don't own any, and I don't know how to do buttonholes on a machine.  Also, my by-hand buttonholes aren't...acceptable yet. Tongue  But I had this pattern in my good ol' stache, and so I pulled it out.  My finished project is view D, but with B's sleeves.  Yay puffed sleeves, eh? Cheesy

Oh, and in case any of you were wondering, I consider myself an intermediate seamstress.  Meaning, I can follow directions and make stuff that fits, but only for myself. I haven't tried making stuff for other people.  But I do have to do a small amount of modifying stuff, due to myself being a bit different than the "norm."

Ta Da!  Overall, I like it lots.  Butterick and I have always been good friends.  Also, it was pretty true-to-fit, unlike other patterns I've used (being for skirts and corsets and such), where they come out being a good inch or so too large.  I did add an extra inch to the torso, and it's barely long enough, but that's my own fault, and not the pattern's.

I did change some stuff.  I added a lining to the inside of the blazer, because I thought it needed lining.  Fancy stuff has lining.  Also, it keeps the ugly seams from fraying and all that stuff.  The lining pattern was just pretty much the whole pattern, minus the sleeves and the collar/lapel.  I built the blouse, added the sleeves, built the lining, and then sewed the lining the the blouse, leaving the bottom, armholes, and shoulder seams unsewn.  I whipstitched the lining to the armholes, and I invisible-stitched the shoulders together by hand.

Also I added four small buttons instead of three larger ones (you can't see the fourth, but 'tis there).  This was due to the fact that I wanted my buttons to match the garment, so I used some fabric-covered buttons, which happened to be tiny.  I like the way it looks though.  I modified the pocket a tiny bit too, see?  There's a bit of a nick off the corner.  That happened to one pocket accidentally, so I did it to the other.  I like it better than two cookie-cutter pockets though, the nick in the front makes me feel like they're more...real or something.  Which they aren't.  They're fake.  Fake pockets, folks, fake pockets.

To hem the bottom, I whipstitched the outer garment to the lining instead of doing what the pattern said, and narrow-hemming it.  I don't like seams to show on my fancy garments.  It looks much crisper in real life, not quite so squishy.  But golly, it was a lot of hand-stitching.  See those tiny stitches?  That's a good hour's work right there, since I'm a slowpoke.

So I'm not sure if this is a "real" pattern review, since I modified tiny bits of it, but oh well.  I liked the pattern, and it was fabulous, since I had no experience making blazers or anything with buttons, really.  I'm used to zippers, elastic, and lacing.  But I decided it was time I learn how to make buttonholes, and so an hour and a half of scrap-fabric practice, I have a finished and wearable blazer with identical and symmetrical buttonholes.  Woo!

-edit-
Forgot to add, I didn't do the stitching along the outside of the garment, like the directions said.  I don't like the way that looks.  But.  Other than that, and all the little stuff I changed, the pattern was great.  It really did lend itself to small tweaks, like all fabulous patterns should, I think.  That way, we can have individuality among garments, even if we all use the same pattern.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013 12:04:44 AM by Forteisbest » THIS ROCKS   Logged

AlenaSelene
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013 09:42:14 AM »

It looks great! I'm glad you were able to salvage the too short dress. It's always frustrating when a garment doesn't work out, but this one turned out great in the end!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Vegetable Sushi for Kids
How to Roll Lumpia
How to Make Cucumber Raita
How to Make Boondi Raita
How to Make Eggplant Raita
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...