A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 296,628
Currently Running With Scissors:
700 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Owl Ranger Outfit  (Read 373 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

PaleAngelLex
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« on: June 18, 2013 08:40:59 AM »

The Owl Ranger by PaleAngelLex, on Flickr
I went all out for a recent Pullip doll convention in Chicago. The theme this year was owls, and even though the theme doesn't have to be included in the custom outfit, I had this crazy idea of making and owl ranger. I started sketching out the idea in March, and didn't finish it until the first week of June. I took breaks from it off and on, but I was working on it pretty much every free moment I had. There were a ton of set backs. After I finished my embroidery, I tried to iron it. The iron was too hot and I ended up shrinking one of the corners. By that point, I knew there was no time to redo any of it. So I pushed on. I also realized that I didn't include enough length to attach the hood. Since the cloak was a half circle, I added an inch wide panel to the straight edge. I'm really glad I did, because even after that, the cloak was about two inches shorter than I had been planning on.

I have to admit, this was a real learning experience, but it went really well. I took first place at Puddle for the Custom Outfit Contest! Yay! So, on to pictures!

The front was decorated with wheat ear stitch. Nothing fancy, but I thought it needed it.

The back is where I spent most of my time. I used an Urban Threads pattern called Full Moon Owl. My fiance actually helped me pick out the colors. I wanted to keep a woodland color pallet, but also wanted a bright accent color. It's mostly done in satin stitch. I had a blast doing it all. The lazy daisy leaves were so much fun! I think they came out looking amazing.

Here's the outfit that goes underneath the cloak. All of it was hand sewn and all the patterns were self drafted. In total, I made a peasant blouse, corset vest, pants, belted skirt, pants, and boots. I hadn't planned on making my own boots, but when I found out the cloak was going to be too short, I knew I couldn't use the lack luster plastic shoes  I had been planning to use. So, I tried my hands at making doll shoes.

The peasant blouse was very easy to make, as was the vest. I was really pleased with how it turned out, and the pants are very basic. My favorite part of the whole outfit is the belted skirt. It's exactly what I wanted, and was just so happy it came out right. It's decorated with feather stitch in the front, and a wrapped running stitch in the back. The best part, to me, is that it's a functional belt. I found these little brass rings in a craft store, and knew I had to use them. I think the worked out perfectly.

Thanks for looking!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I Blog at TehTable
Wist
pixeegrl
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013 12:56:22 PM »

WOW! I recognized that Urban Threads pattern as soon I saw it except I thought it was the machine embroidery version! You did such an amazing job by hand! Looks great!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Spring Fling Pillow: Basic Outline
How to Make a Succulent Centerpiece
Embellishing Knit Scarves
How to Make a Yoga Bag
How to Make String Lamp Shades
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...