A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 302,582
Currently Running With Scissors:
561 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Jewelry board case  (Read 1014 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

teag
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: July 08, 2009 04:24:50 PM »

SO.... I bought this jewelry board about 8 years ago, recently it started to crack, I didn't want to throw it out for a number of reasons,  it's  still usable, no way to recycle, but mostly I'm cheap, I paid around 10 dollars for this board (it almost killed me because I thought it was cheaply made) the  plastic that is thinner than most packaging that's out there today, but still, everytime I was in Michael's, Joanne's or Wally's I would look at what is offered, I just couldn't bring myself to shell out good money for a poorly made product. After much Thought I came up with the Jewelry board case

The Cover - the finished box

Inside- the finished box with board and additional bead separators- the separotors are curved so removing the beads will be easier

constructing the box- I used a sheet of foam core  board that I used for about two years as a backdrop for online photos,
the foam core  was getting stained and dented, I knew I had to replace it soon as the defects were showing up
on the pictures I took, I decided this was the perfect project to give the foam core a second life

The papier mache stage - I decide to papier mache the box to strengthen the foam core and to hide the cut edges
I used wall paper paste, an extra phone book for the paper,I applied four coats of paper,  sanding lightly in between
each layer after it was dried

I Base coated the lid with three coats of white paint, and once again sanded between each coat when it was thoroughly dried, I sketched the "One Eyes"  lightly on the lid and started painting , I wanted a simple, but elegant design with a twist so I kept it to three colors, black, light blue and white. I lined the inside of the lid with a piece of black foam to help keep the beads in place when I put aside works in progress, and keep the the lid on with a Velcro strap in black
THIS ROCKS   Logged

melmakespretty
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009 06:46:38 PM »

This is great!. I love how you did everything.
Thanks for the step by step process. I loved seeing how you made this project come together.
I hope it inspires you to make great jewellery!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*~*Come​ and visit our new collaborative craft blog Hand Made-n's!!*~*~
sdhrt
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009 08:25:50 PM »

The paper mache is so nicely done.  And it looks great. Way to re-use and revamp!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
teag
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009 08:31:37 AM »

Thank you for all your wonderful comments! I actually use this board all the time but haven"t done much lately, I was afraid the board would crack even more, now that this is done I can start back uop again
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jenleahlynn
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013 07:12:59 PM »

i just came across this but itis such agood idea. the plasticcover that comes with the bead tray doesn't hold anything
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jenleahlynn

harry potter craft along- winter semester
2013-art journal along
journal prompt swap
shop the swap winter
breaking dawn swap
ongoing atc swap
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Take A Perfect Selfie
Pixi Blush & Bronzer Review
The Best Way to Fill in Your Brows
Birchbox Limited Edition Box: In Full Bloom
How to Get the Perfect Red Lip
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...