A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 301,542
Currently Running With Scissors:
415 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Jewelry board case  (Read 1223 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

teag
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: July 08, 2009 04:24:50 PM »

SO.... I bought this jewelry board about 8 years ago, recently it started to crack, I didn't want to throw it out for a number of reasons,  it's  still usable, no way to recycle, but mostly I'm cheap, I paid around 10 dollars for this board (it almost killed me because I thought it was cheaply made) the  plastic that is thinner than most packaging that's out there today, but still, everytime I was in Michael's, Joanne's or Wally's I would look at what is offered, I just couldn't bring myself to shell out good money for a poorly made product. After much Thought I came up with the Jewelry board case

The Cover - the finished box

Inside- the finished box with board and additional bead separators- the separotors are curved so removing the beads will be easier

constructing the box- I used a sheet of foam core  board that I used for about two years as a backdrop for online photos,
the foam core  was getting stained and dented, I knew I had to replace it soon as the defects were showing up
on the pictures I took, I decided this was the perfect project to give the foam core a second life

The papier mache stage - I decide to papier mache the box to strengthen the foam core and to hide the cut edges
I used wall paper paste, an extra phone book for the paper,I applied four coats of paper,  sanding lightly in between
each layer after it was dried

I Base coated the lid with three coats of white paint, and once again sanded between each coat when it was thoroughly dried, I sketched the "One Eyes"  lightly on the lid and started painting , I wanted a simple, but elegant design with a twist so I kept it to three colors, black, light blue and white. I lined the inside of the lid with a piece of black foam to help keep the beads in place when I put aside works in progress, and keep the the lid on with a Velcro strap in black
THIS ROCKS   Logged

melmakespretty
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009 06:46:38 PM »

This is great!. I love how you did everything.
Thanks for the step by step process. I loved seeing how you made this project come together.
I hope it inspires you to make great jewellery!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*~*Come​ and visit our new collaborative craft blog Hand Made-n's!!*~*~
sdhrt
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009 08:25:50 PM »

The paper mache is so nicely done.  And it looks great. Way to re-use and revamp!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
teag
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009 08:31:37 AM »

Thank you for all your wonderful comments! I actually use this board all the time but haven"t done much lately, I was afraid the board would crack even more, now that this is done I can start back uop again
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jenleahlynn
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013 07:12:59 PM »

i just came across this but itis such agood idea. the plasticcover that comes with the bead tray doesn't hold anything
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jenleahlynn
interested in a private atc swap-i am collecting ATC cards to be framed in a collage and auction to raise money for Adenoid Cystic Carcinoma research. (ACCRF) project blog-    atc4acc.blogspot.com

pinterest.com/jenleahlynn
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Hair Tyrant: The Final Look - A Polished Creative Look
How to Get Sexy, Full-Bodied Hair
Moroccan Inspired Hairstyles at the Tadashi Shoji FW 2014 Show
How to Get the Haircut You Want
Celeb Stylist Ashley Javier on How to Get Retro-Glam Hair
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Falafel without Frying
@Home This Weekend: Decorative Bulletin Board
Rain, rain, you don't have to go away...

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...