A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,189
Currently Running With Scissors:
416 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help needed--Poppet fingers  (Read 1052 times)
Tags for this thread: poppet  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jupiternames

There is no death, there is the Force.

View Profile
« on: June 16, 2013 09:35:55 PM »

I see so many poppets with cute, individual fingers! How do I make those? Does anyone have a tutorial that they could share with me?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tenitsu
Oh my, where do I start? Here? Okay!

(⌒▽⌒)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013 03:31:57 PM »

Absolutely! I just got out of the yard so i'm hella dirty XD let me grab a quick shower and I'll go make a hand real fast and snap pics for you to see =D be easy to understand that way (atleast the way I do it anyway haha!!)

Back in about 1-2hrs with photo's =D

*Edit* This is an insanely image heavy tutorial, hope it helps XD

Okay took a little longer than I expected to make this hand ha ha, made my fingers a tad on the small side XD

Here goes nothin!

For starts here's everything I gather up for the hands...the poppet your working on ofc... sissors, iron, your pattern traced onto freezer paper (I prefer bright marker so you can see it on the white freezer paper & w/e color fabric your working on), your pins, I use crochete hooks in 2 or 3 different sizes and sometimes a screwdriver....  your fabric ofc, and I prefer to use a quilting foot for this since it turns easier on my machine....

Iron on your pattern for your fabric and pin the fabric down so it cant shift on you underneath

I prefer to start at the top of the arm and work my way around down to the hands and back up to the end where the opening is left

I should have rounded out my stitching on the spots between the fingers rather than the harsh corners i have there, but you get the idea! I also backstitch over the entirety of each finger so the seam is reinforced, the fingers and hands i make are rather dainty and tiny and sometimes require quite the force to turn the fingers outside right, so the reinforced stitching helps tons!! Also be sure to stitch ON the outline only on the finger part, and outside the lines for the arm, this helps keep your fingers dainty and cute =D  also helps keep from having tiny fingers and giant hands

Next part is pulling hte pattern off and cutting inbetween the figners, yes you'll likely destroy the freezer paper pattern pulling it off but its worth it, also only clip once between the fingers so you leave a little seam allowance for turning so it cant fray or pull apart easy....yes this makes turning harder but worth it!

I use a decent sized crochete hook to start turning the arm outside right, and move to a slightly smaller one and rotate between a 3.75mm and a 3.5mm hooks for turning the fingers, and i do use both sides of the hook XD sometimes the hook part works better other times the end works better

(sorry for the blurry photo, my camera hates up close n personal pics haha)

I start with the "pinky" finger and work my way towards the "thumb", this is the painful and long part, so I moved to my comfy rocking chair XD

Sometimes I turn 2 fingers, then the thumb, it just depends on where the fingers are getting caught at inside, but i find it works best to start from the pinky as those are the longer fingers and it helps to get them out of the way first XD

Dunno how well you can see this one, but this finger is stuck and wont turn... but you can see part of it peeking through the middle, I grabed a pair of plyers and pulled on it a little bit to work it loose

Got some puckers but you get the idea =D

I take pipecleaners and cut them the length of my finger and fold them in half and twist the ends, I use those to stuff the fingers so they are poseable

Stuff the rounded end into the arm, one for each individual finger, then you can put fiber fill into the hand to protect the pointy ends that may be left on the pipecleaners, plus it fills the hand out nicely, stuff the rest of the arm and finish off the way you would for any other poppet arm

and you end up with something like this =D

« Last Edit: June 17, 2013 06:05:18 PM by Tenitsu » THIS ROCKS   Logged

hito no ji wa hitori ja tatenai...=)

Pintrest!

You dont need to be weird to belong here...there's a tutorial for that somewhere!
mama24boyz
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

AND1GIRL!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013 07:09:52 PM »

I am bookmarking this!, thanks Tenitsu!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I absolutely love love quilts, do you think an afghan is a fair trade for a quilt? I'd love to swap!
Etsy
Pinterest
Mamas Creations on Facebook
Tenitsu

(⌒▽⌒)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013 07:48:09 PM »

Glad someone likes it =) first tutorial ever haha xD hope its understandable, my explanitory skills are usually lacking hahaha =D
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pintrest!

You dont need to be weird to belong here...there's a tutorial for that somewhere!
jupiternames

There is no death, there is the Force.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013 08:14:15 PM »

That's great! I've been tempted to free-hand it, but that would only end in heartbreak. I'm going to try your way instead, so thanks! You're amazing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tenitsu

(⌒▽⌒)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013 08:30:04 PM »

I'll warn ya, becareful how far on the line you sew for the fingers, make em to tight and they are insane to turn out, albiet you'll get dainty little fingers, but your hands will hate you for it later haha!! And if you work back to front when turning the fingers out it helps ...not sure how to explain that part of it, but its like havin 3 lines... \ | / your going to move your turning tool (whichever item you choose to use) on either side of the straight line, if that makes sense... xD I cant photograph it because I cant fit my camera up into one of those hands haha best I can do to explain that part of it =D
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pintrest!

Sharalee
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

www.wists.com/SharaLee http://pinterest.com/sharalee3/pins/?filter=likes

Retired Hairstylist/Crafter

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013 07:13:59 AM »

Thanks "Tenitsu" You did your tute very well!   Cheesy  I pretty much do the same as you do! Sometimes I double the pipe cleaner for each finger so it's a little stronger. Thanks so much for the pics it really helps to have visuals! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http:/pinterest.com/sharalee3

"Yet Another TM Patch Swap" RD 2/partners
"Poppet vs. Ami Swap"/partners
"Make Purse & Wallet Swap/partner

Will do personal swaps!! I make Art Dolls/Junker Jane Dolls/Raggedy Ann & Andy Dolls/also TM Pa
Tenitsu

(⌒▽⌒)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2013 08:28:39 AM »

=^.^= glad its useful wasnt sure how well it would be understood so I made my hubby read through it haha (and he doesnt really sew) and even he understood it haha!!!!

I sometimes double my pipecleaners up too, and sometimes I make them a little longer than what I did in that picture because I like them to extend into the hands so the palms are semi-poseable too =D makes having their little hands hold things so much easier hehe
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pintrest!

bambam91
The rogue Queen

Where is my mind?? Probably listening to hip hop :

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2013 02:13:12 PM »

Awesome job on the tute Tenitsu.

I also use a bit of tape on the ends of my pipe cleaners to help avoid the pointy bits Smiley

Then stuff like crazy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am currently inactive, due to being hit by a car. I will be back on once I am healed
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Andrew Smith on 100 Sideways Miles
A New Family Saga from Bestselling Author Garth Stein
Jhumpa Lahiri on Her Writing Process
The New Yorker Gets Refreshed
Daniel Mendelsohn Discusses Mary Renault
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...