A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 296,382
Currently Running With Scissors:
615 Guests and 36 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knock-Off Dolce and Gabbana "Miss Sicily" Crocheted Bag  (Read 2061 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

AmyLynn98
« on: June 16, 2013 03:21:27 PM »

I saw this purse on Yahoo! Fashion: "Fashion That Makes Us Sad: The Worst of 2012." I know it looks like something that should be on "What Not To Crochet" but I really dig this design for a purse! It's a Dolce and Gabbana Miss Sicily Crocheted Bag that costs $2,895.

It was being compared to the blanket on Roseanne's couch.  Grin

I finally got around to finishing this project today! Smiley

Kind of a bad picture here, but it's hanging from it's handle.

Materials Needed
   3 colors of yarn: Color A: Solid, Color B: Variegated, Color C: Solid
         For my bag, I used:
        --Color A: 2 skeins of Trendsetter Yarns, Merino VIII in plum (color # 335)
        --Color B: 2 skeins of Bernat Mosaic in Psychedelic (color #44400)
        --Color C: 1 skein of SignatuR Knits in navy blue
   G sized crochet hook
   Yarn needle
   Scissors
   Tape measure
   Plastic canvas, in a color to match the yarn (I used black)
   Single purse handle (I had to buy a package of two: Everything Mary, wood handles)
   One 1" matching button
   A pair of matching onyx square rings (Everything Mary)
   1 package of bias tape, wide single fold, in a color that matches yarn color C.
   Matching cotton fabric and thread for the interior lining
   Cotton thread that matches the bias tape
   An iron

Directions
The front flap:
1.   Make 6 granny squares, using the join in the round method (http://knitting-crochet.wonderhowto.com/how-to/join-granny-squares-with-crochet-flat-brain-joining-233233/). Make each square in the following pattern: beginning ring and round 1 with color A, round 2 with color B, joining round 3 with color C. Each granny should measure about 2.75 square.
2.   The squares should be joined in 2 pieces: 4 squares across by 2 squares tall. One group will be the outside of the flap and the other group will be the inside of the flap. Each piece should measure around 5.5 tall x 11.5 wide
3.   Join the two flap pieces together by slip stitching them on three sides.

Front of the purse:
1.   Using yarn color C, chain 50 and turn.
2.   Change yarn to color B and start using the solid shell stitch pattern for the front of the purse:
Row 1: Ch 1, sc in first st, *skp 2 sts, 5 dc into next st, skp 2 sts, 1 sc in next st; rep from * to end, turn.
Row 2: Ch 3, 2 dc in 1st, *skp 2 dc, 1 sc in next dc, skp 2 dc, 5 dc in next st; rep from * ending with 3 dc in final sc, skp tch, turn.
Row 3: 1 ch, 1 sc in 1st, *skp 2 dc, 5 dc in next sc, skp 2dc, 1 sc in next dc; rep from * ending with 1 sc in top of tch,
Rep Rows 2 and 3 for pattern st. until the piece is as long as you want it to be. The purse front should be at least twice the height of the flap.
3.   Work the second to last row entirely in scs.
4.   For the last row, change the yarn to color C and work entirely in sc. Fasten off yarn when complete. This piece measured about 11.5 wide x 11.5 tall.

Bottom of the purse:
1.   Using color C, attach it to the bottom hem of the purse front with a slip stitch and work the entire row across the purse front in sc. This will become the bottom of the purse.
2.   Work a series of rows until the bottom panel is as deep as you want it. Mine measured 2 deep. Fasten off yarn when complete.
3.   A piece of plastic canvas will be used to make the bottom of the purse sturdy, so youll need to make a second bottom piece. Go back and attach yarn color C with a slip stitch in the same place as you started, and repeat the directions from #2 to create a separate flap.
4.   These two flaps will be stitched shut with the plastic canvas in between them.

Back of the purse:
Now that I actually have my purse back completed, I probably should have not used such a strongly colored variegated yarn for back here. It's hard to see the where the long DC's are on the back side.
1.   Using yarn color C, attach it with a slip stitch to the bottom flap closest to you (this is the outside flap), and work a series of sc across the entire piece. Chain 2 and turn.
2.   Work 2 rows each of dc, chaining 2 and turning at the end.
3.   Work the next row with 9 dcs and 1 long dc (http://www.anniescatalog.com/crochet/content.html?content_id=56). Continue the rest of the row with 10 dcs and 1 long dc. Chain 2 at the end and turn.
4.   Work the next row with 4 dcs and 1 long dc. Continue the rest of the of the row with 10 dcs and 1 long dc. Chain 2 at the end and turn.
5.   Work 2 rows each of dc, chaining 2 and turning at each end.
6.   Work the next row with 9 dcs and 1 long dc. Continue the rest of the row with 10 dcs and 1 long dc. Chain 2 at the end and turn.
7.   Work the next row with 4 dcs and 1 long dc. Continue the rest of the of the row with 10 dcs and 1 long dc. Chain 2 at the end and turn.
8.   Repeat directions from #5.
9.   Repeat directions from #3.
10.   Repeat directions from #4.
11.   Repeat directions from #5.
12.   Continue working this same kind of pattern (alternating the rows of stitches) until the piece is 11" long.
13.   Work  1 SC in each stitch across, chain 2 and turn.
14.   Work 1 DC in each stitch across, chain 1 and turn.
15.   Work 1 SC in each stitch across and fasten off yarn with a slip stitch when finished. These last two rows will make the back piece slightly larger than the front piece, but you'll need that little bit of difference in size later on when you attach the flap.

Sides of the purse:
1.   Using Color A, attach it with a slip stitch to the narrow end of the bottom of the purse but leave a length of several inches to be used later. Like the back of the purse, the sides are attached to the purse while they are being made. Chain 8 and turn.
2.   Work 2 SC in the first stitch and continue working 1 SC in each of the remaining stitches. Attach the second row to the bottom with a slip stitch and 1 chain.
3.   Work 1 SC in each stitch up the length of the chain. Work 2 SC in the last stitch and 1 chain, then turn.
4.   Work 2 SC  in the first stitch and continue working 1 SC in each of the remaining stitches. Attach to the bottom with a slip stitch and 1 chain.
5.   Continue with directions from #2 and then #3 until the length of the side is 11" long. You should be able to have four rows in the center at 11" long.
6.   For the second half of the length, work in reverse by working 2 SCtog in the same places you were increasing the chains. Fasten off the yarn with a slip stitch when completed, and leave a length of several inches to be used next.

Assembling the purse
1.   Turn the purse inside out. Using the long lengths you left from making the sides, sew the sides together with a series of slip stitches.
2.   Measure your fabric to the same dimensions of the purse pieces and sew the fabric together. When cutting the side pieces, you'll want to cut them with a slight teardrop shape, while the other pieces are squares or rectangles.
3.    You'll definitely want to make sure you press the fabric flat with an iron before sewing. Lay the fabric, front sides together (inside) and sew them together. If you want to add 1-2 pockets to the inside of the purse, add them to the front or back pieces before the interior is completely sewn up. Sew the pieces together the same way you whip stitched the crocheted pieces together: big sides to the bottom, and then the smaller sides to the bottom, and then the vertical seams from all the sides together. When pinning the vertical seams together for sewing,  start from the bottom and work your way to the top. Do not start at the top and pin down to the bottom. If you start from the bottom and work your way up, don't worry if the top hem is not completely straight. This will be fixed later.
4.   Because this is going to be your purse's lining, you may want to sew each edge twice. Flip the pieces over and sew them again on the other side. I used a zig zag stitch for my seams, but you can use any stitch you want. The stronger you make your seams now, the less likely they are to rip later on and you lose stuff in between the lining and purse.
5.   Do not sew the top hems together just yet. Fold over the top edges of the lining and give yourself a 1/4"-1/2" hem. Fold it in such a way that the backsides of the fabric are touching, and pin into place.
6.   Pin the bias tape over the top of your hem.
7.   Drop the lining into the purse and pin it into place, through the bias tape. Sew it into the purse, lining the bias tape up with the bottom of the last row of SC you worked (row 13 of the purse back piece). Here, I changed setting on  my sewing machine and used a standard hem stitch here. When finished, you might choose to iron that top edge one more time.
8.   Get the front flap of your purse and decide which is going to be your front. Lay the purse and flap together with the outsides touching, and slip stitch them together on the inside with yarn color C.
9.   Center the handle along that new seam you just created, on top of the purse, on the outside, With yarn color C, whip stitch the handle to the purse. I did 15-20 stitches on each side of the handle.
10.   The button is for aesthetic purposes only. Sew it to the front flap, centered on the bottom row. Use the yarn needle and yarn color C.
11.   Attach one half of the magnetic snap to the inside of the flap, opposite of the button. Close over the flap to see where, on the front of the purse, to see where the other half of the magnetic snap should go, and attach it.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013 03:23:24 PM by AmyLynn98 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yay me! My zombie garden gnome was named a 2013 Featured Project: Home Sweet Home: Interiors & Exteriors! Thanks for voting for him!

Check out my posts on Geek Crafts or at amylynn98.blogspot. com/
CrochetCraftster

My cute pet bunny! :)

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013 05:45:55 PM »

That is pretty cool! Good job! And thanks for sharing the pattern!

I can't believe that it was for sale for 2,985 dollars! That's insane!
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013 05:52:41 PM by CrochetCraftster » THIS ROCKS   Logged

v3nu5
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." -Albert Einstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013 05:49:15 PM »

I can't be the only one that likes some or most of the things you can find on "What not to crochet". Your bag absolutely does not belong on there. I like the stitches and the colors you chose. Besides, who didn't grow up watching Roseanne and wanting to crochet their very own mock up afghan? Great job on the bag. Saved your self $2,900! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinkleo
Crochet Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

~*HPC Headmistress*~

lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013 08:29:49 PM »

I have to admit that I adore the bag and am super excited to see your pattern. Grin  (I also some granny love for the Roseanne Ghan....what can I say, I'm a sucker for grannies Cool)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Delicate Art of the Faberge Egg
Jewelry Cleaning Tips
Intricate Food Inspired Jewelry
How to Make a Heart Necklace
About the Expert: Courtney Gray
Latest Blog Articles
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects
How to Make Summer Treats

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...