A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 296,652
Currently Running With Scissors:
673 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Jean Greenhowe Toys  (Read 453 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ClickCait
« on: June 16, 2013 11:16:03 AM »

Hi,

I was a member here years ago when I mainly hung out on the sewing boards, since then I've got really into knitting and I don't have a clue what my old username was or what email address it would've been registered to. For Christmas I got some money which I put towards some of the Jean Greenhowe knitting books I remembered from when I was little. I still have the puppy from Knitted Animals and I used to have an 'Emily' (I think she's in Traditional Toys) who I named Primrose.

I'd actually gotten a friend into knitting and she had been using some of Jean's patterns, whereas I'd been using some patterns from someone whose style is very similar. I was very excited to get my hands on some of the old pattern books I remembered looking at so much when I was younger.

The first toy I made was for the relative who sent me the money. She loves cats, so I made her Puss in Boots (this is my first post so I can't post pictures, so these are links to the photos).

He's almost exactly the same colours as the pattern, except his boots because I didn't have any brown and I did his feathers different colours too. He came from the Knitted Animals booklet.

I made a slight mistake in that I sewed up the back of his head before I'd embroidered his head and you were supposed to fasten the face into the stuffing inside. I saved it though by just tying it off up the top of the head then sewed the hat on top so you couldn't see the ends. When I was knitting him I just couldn't figure out how his feathers were going to work. That's what I love about the Jean Greenhowe patterns, you do as she tells you and somehow it just works!

The next one I made for my Mum-in-Law and I'm really pleased with how she turned out. I'm so glad that I gave her to my Mum-in-Law because it means I get to visit her quite a bit. She was quite time consuming and I made a mistake of knitting most of the first half before sewing it up (because I prefer knitting to sewing) but then I realised it was easier to see what you were doing if you followed the instructions sewing it up as you went along.

I'm so proud of Grandma Humpty-Dumpty that I took quite a few photos of her.

This is the total finished product:

Close up of her knitting:

Close up of her glasses (this was my third attempt, I was on the verge of giving up but this one just happened to come together and work):

Close up of the cherries on her hat, this is easily my favourite part of the whole thing:

Grandma Humpty-Dumpty came from Jean Greenhowe's Toy Collection booklet. This has the Teddy Bear Picnic and the Prehistoric People & Dinosaurs and I can't wait to make them all.

I've also recently finished knitting a Postman Hedgehog from Knitted Hedgehogs but I've still got to finish his tag and postcard so I'll post him once he's all done. And I've started a Great Uncle Angus from the MacScarecrow Clan booklet which has taught me how to do Swiss Darning.

I'd love to know what you guys think of what I've done so far, and to see your Jean Greenhowe toys from these books.

Smiley
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013 03:01:03 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed links to images » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Trekky
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013 11:34:22 PM »

They are brilliant!  Grandma humpty dumpty is so cute!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://craftytrekky.blogspot.com/

I have lots of train tickets (I get the train most days), if anyone wants some for papercrafting just send me a PM Smiley
ClickCait
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013 06:59:50 AM »

Thanks, I was so pleased with how she came together.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
A Must-Have Body Oil for Moms-to-Be
How to Apply Blue Smokey Eye Makeup
How to Tattoo Your Eyebrows
Allure Magazine Releases Anti-Aging Survey Results in April Issue
Get Coachella-Cool With This Easy Nail Art Tutorial
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...