A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 298,722
Currently Running With Scissors:
589 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fiber Friday 06/14/2013  (Read 2984 times)
Tags for this thread: fiber_friday , handspun  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

feverdream
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2013 10:22:11 PM »

So, I haven't been on craftster in a few years, but I felt like I really should share this. I finally spun up some rolags I received in my first ever craftster swap from nicolassa. I remember when I got them I thought they were too pretty to spin, so they've been sitting in a box for the past 5 years! I believe it's merino, bamboo, silk noil, and angelina, 190 yards.

I also spun this one this week. Not from the swap, but gifted to me a long time ago. It's 80% angora/ 20% merino, 180 yards.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my etsy shop!
My wists
"the best part about life is knowing that you put it together yourself." -trent reznor
RhymeswOrange
please excuse her for the day, its just the way the medication makes her...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2013 03:57:37 AM »

Wow!  Ahh, Friday fiber fix!!  Such lovely yarns and fibers this week. Thanks for sharing ladies.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I think my cat is sending me subliminal messages...
jexxican
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2013 06:09:11 AM »

I think this is the coolest FF ever. Corespun roses?! Radish dyeing?! HOLY STUFF LADIES! Ah, you all intrigue me. And blow my flipping mind! I agree, Cyndi, about it still looking like a radish. Super sweet.
Feverdream, isn't it funny how we do that? I can't spin it, I can't spin it! It's too special! HA! I'm glad you spun it up. I love it. And I love that blue stuff too. I have the perfect tag project in mind for that. Ah, dreams...
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013 07:05:33 AM by jexxican » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The perplexity of life arises from there being too many interesting things in it for us to be interested properly in any of them."
- G. K. Chesterton

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life.

It's much more fun, this growing down. -RIP Uncle Shelby-
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2013 06:34:30 AM »

Thanks Ladies!!
Alexus - That first one is really fun! and the last one is AWESOME. 1- I can't belive you can corespin on a spindle.  2- I cant believe you can get add ins spun in too...  I have trouble spinning a single on a spindle as it is LOL
MLF  That Corrie turned out so nice!  And I love that Radish yarn.  It totally looks like radishes
feverdream - Those are both gorgeous!! Thank you for sharing them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2013 08:01:30 AM »

FeverDream - love, love that first one!!

Core spinning on a spindle?  I'm in awe!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Our Lessons in Homesteading
LaughingLark
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2013 04:18:01 AM »

Hi everyone! I'm loving all the yarns, and I'm glad that Fiber Friday is still going on. I don't have pics this week, but should have some next week. Minor camera trouble to resolve first.

My cardboard and bangle bracelet spindles are still going strong. I use them about as much as I use the wheels. I have had to glue gun the whorls back in place a couple of times, but I beat them up a lot. They go on city buses and end up getting knocked around in my bag all day long. They also go with me to the park while Ian plays. They are a great conversation-starter. I need to make some new and  prettier ones someday, but I've been too busy spinning. Wink

Alexus, that rose yarn is amazing! Core-spinning on a drop spindle is really difficult.

Edited so I could bring something to the party. This was made a while back, but not posted on Craftster yet. I spun up a bunch of yarns by holding 2 cotton sweater strands together and frogging them right onto the spinning wheel. Then I n-plyed them. These will be accent yarns in woven cotton dishtowels. I call this yarn cotton clownbarf. It's pretty random. Grin While this was a fun project, I would strongly recommend the wheel-frogging be done outside, with a dust mask on. Tons of dust flew out of the yarn as I frogged it. TONS. You could give yourself a nasty case of brown-lung if you do it a lot. I did these in the house, and I won't try that again, ever. Now that it's nice outside, I'm planning to add to my stash of these yarns.

Here are 2 pieces of sweater, and the resulting yarn. Get a few unloved stripey and plain sweaters, combine them different ways--the possibilities are endless.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2013 05:53:52 AM by LaughingLark » THIS ROCKS   Logged

mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2013 07:47:26 AM »

LL!  those are Beautiful!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Our Lessons in Homesteading
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2013 08:36:35 AM »

AWesome recycling!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Alexus1325
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2013 10:18:21 AM »

Thanks for the compliments, everyone! I think the roses yarn is my third corespun. I picked up a trick in a YouTube video: put your core yarn on ANOTHER spindle! Combined with exclusive park-and-drafting, it's a tedious endeavor but perfectly doable. I don't have the cash or really even the space for a wheel, so I spin exclusively on spindles for now. However, I might end up saving up for a Pocket Wheel. The one year wait time is a bit off-putting, though. I've also been eyeballing abandoned bicycle parts (a front wheel and forks) in the woods behind where I work, contemplating how I might build an accelerated quill wheel, castle style. I've been thinking it'd work like an accelerated great wheel, only small and treadle-powered.

Holy camoley, LaughingLark! Frogging straight into spinning??? That's INGENIOUS! I am so stealing your idea. Your new and improved yarns are very cool.

I love Fibre Friday, so much to drool over Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jexxican

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2013 07:12:25 PM »

LL, Too cool! I need to pin this page so I can remember all those details you gave us. Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The perplexity of life arises from there being too many interesting things in it for us to be interested properly in any of them."
- G. K. Chesterton

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life.

It's much more fun, this growing down. -RIP Uncle Shelby-
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a 6 Inch Hole Christmas Tree Skirt Part 4/4
How to Crochet a Baby Bumble Bee Sweater Part 4/9
How to Crochet a Baby Bumble Bee Sweater Part 6/9
How to Crochet a Baby Bumble Bee Sweater Part 2/9
How to Crochet a 6 Inch Hole Christmas Tree Skirt Part 2/4
Latest Blog Articles
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...