A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,794
Currently Running With Scissors:
709 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Michonne and her pet. [Warning: Srsly image heavy & plushie gore ahead]  (Read 4305 times)
Tags for this thread: poppet , zombie , walking_dead , category_featured_project , the_walking_dead  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

FabledStitches
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« on: June 11, 2013 09:00:42 PM »

The amazing Poppet-making Goddess Lanikins graciously agreed to do a swap with lil ol' me, and this was what I came up with for her. We gave each other a list of characters we love and would like to see plushified/poppetfied and on her list two things caught my eye; Michonne (from The Walking Dead) and ZOMBIES. A perfect combination!

For this plushie I actually tweaked the proportions and added 2.5inches to my standing pattern so I could add in some more details.

Oh, I know her ears look a lil lopsided in the pics -I only noticed that after I'd gotten snap happy, but I unpicked one and re-attached it (hopefully) in the right place. Wink

Her sword holder thing (technical term) is removable - those little clips are fiddly to open but they do open. Wink

And her sword (is it a katana? I'm so not a weapons person) is also removable. It's made from craft foam, which in hindsight was not the sturdiest material to go with but I wanted it thin enough to be semi-authentic and light enough that she could hold it, and wouldn't make her fall backwards when it was in its sheath.

I know she is supposed to have two walkers but.... I'm pretending Daryl used one for target practice. Wink

Oh! And I gave her fingers! I wired them because I wanted her to be able to hold not only her sword/katana/whatever, but also the zombie's chain.

Her hair is yarn and took foreverrrr to arrive, but it was worth the wait, I think. Each strand has been individually sewn into her head, and I kind of cheated and her bandana is sewn into her head, too. Wink

Her zip is uh, a little on the OMGHUGE side, but I cannot find doll-sized zips anywhere here, which makes me sad face. But the zipper is functional, so at least there's that!

I tried to give her Michonne's signature "I can and will slice your face off if you annoy me" look. Wink The features are all needle felted as usual.

Her little walker friend... hee, he was a swap "extra" so I let myself have a little fun gore-ing him up a bit.

But to be fair, if you'd been turned into an undead type person, had both arms and half your face hacked off, you're going to be a bit messy, you know? Wink  I even got to put some "dirt" (in the form of paint) on his pants! \o/

His face. O__O I had no idea on how I was going to pull off the "no lower jaw" look. I did some test with trying to make a plush with half a face, which all turned out as truly spectacular fails, haha. I ended up painting it to (hopefully) give some kind of illusion of him missing his jaw.

While making these guys I developed a new and overwhelming adoration of eyelets. I use them on everything I can now. Cheesy

And look, more eyelets. Wink

Her gloves were a last minute addition that I can't picture her without now. I think they turned out super cute, although I hadn't noticed I'd used her "skin" fabric for the straps until I'd put them on. Derp. -.-

I didn't realize until I was checking out reference pics how blinged out Michonne is. I mean, her belt is pretty sparkly (but I'm sure that's a strategic move to try and blind walkers or something. Wink)

...and would you look at that, I seem to have run out of pictures. Tongue  If you got this far, reading all my crafty rambles, I salute you! And if you feel like dropping me a comment, I adore you. Cheesy  
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014 12:04:08 AM by FabledStitches » THIS ROCKS   Logged

All we have to decide is what to craft with the time that is given to us.

FacebookTumblrInstagramEtsy
LovelyMiss

I don't need no instructions to know how to rock.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013 09:20:17 PM »

WOW!  They are incredible!  Each doll you make is even cooler than the last.  Every little detail is perfect!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Europa
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013 09:49:01 PM »

I love your plushy Michonne and her zombie.  Your attention to detail is wonderful.  Her outfit is nicely detailed.  I like that she even has the outline of little pockets.  Grin  I love how you did her eyes; they're very expressive.     
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are staring up at the stars."

Oscar Wilde
MissingWillow
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013 03:49:14 AM »

Amazing work, as always! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Farm Life Blog  
I'm a shepherd and have raw fleece.  PM me if you want to swap for some.

Craftster has gone mobile!  Read all about it here
Tenitsu
Oh my, where do I start? Here? Okay!

(⌒▽⌒)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013 04:40:39 AM »

Yep, your right, its a katana =D

And omggggg, your killing me here!!I wants one T.T
These are totally the coolest thing I've ever seen!!! How on earth you managed to do those tiny lil fingers ill never guess but just totally WOW!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hito no ji wa hitori ja tatenai...=)

Pintrest!

You dont need to be weird to belong here...there's a tutorial for that somewhere!
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013 06:46:04 AM »

Your attention to detail is amazing...and your execution is just wonderful...I did read the entire post...twice...just to see all the extra time and effort you put into your project...

Michon has now become my favorite WD character...I can't wait for the new season so I can pay more attention to the details you obviously did (her belt is so wonderful and those gloves....)

Excellent workmanship as always...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mama24boyz

AND1GIRL!!

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2013 06:59:50 AM »

AHHHHHH!!!!! I LOVE YOUR WORK!!!!!!  Shes awesome!! And I don't think her zipper is overly huge. It doesn't stand out.  Everything is awesome, your attention to detail is amazing!!!   You are my biggest Craftster Crush!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I absolutely love love quilts, do you think an afghan is a fair trade for a quilt? I'd love to swap!
Etsy
Pinterest
Mamas Creations on Facebook
Artisan82

formerly Crafty.Canadian

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2013 07:51:21 AM »

Totally amazing!!! The attention to detail (and execution of said detail) truly set you apart from so many other plush makers!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I post all my crafty stuff on Facebook.  I'd LOVE if you'd like my page!
Artisan 82 on Facebook
My baby, my Etsy shop: Artisan 82 on Etsy
madame marigold
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2013 08:08:57 AM »

OHMgoodness! How cool is she? Love, Love, Love her! And her little gory plaything too!  Cheesy The details are amazing.....I dont know how you guys do it..make these incredible creations then send them away! I would bawl my eyes out. Wow, crafting hat off to you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lanikins
you can't take life too seriously...you'll never make it out alive

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2013 08:16:14 AM »

SOOOOOOOOOOOOO...I have "zombie corner" in my craft studio.  These are in my living room, instead, and I think that they will probably stay there.  Michonne is SO AMAZING in person, and I am ELATED to own her!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Alyssa Wallace: Copy the Cover Challenge
Mallory Cornelison: Copy the Cover Challenge
Tips And Tricks For Summer Legs
Three Tips For Oily Summer Skin
How to Take Your Makeup Off
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...