A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,223
Currently Running With Scissors:
380 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Spring Sewing  (Read 655 times)
Tags for this thread: tote , duffel , newsboy_hat , simplicity , butterick , kwik_sew , sparklies , bling  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

hat-and-bag-lady

Too lazy 2 work, too honest 2 steal, jst rt to sew

View Profile
« on: June 10, 2013 03:56:55 PM »

Hi, everybody  Grin

I know: It's been (quite) a while since I last Posted: please forgive me and have a look at these recent projects.

The first thing I did (and only took one pic of) was Tote bag Simplicity 9658 (tote B)

It was a not very really thick cotton (I think) The bottom band was actually a Table-cloth material. Very thin: well worth using as the bottom band, which I think is there mostly for looks, not for extra strength.
It was not a very thick black cotton, and was rather limp, so to stiffen it up, I put stiffening Seams on the outside corners. Unfortunately, in this photo, they aren't that evident. They worked well, though: it stiffened up the sides of the tote, so it wasn't flopping over. (Even lining it with self-material wouldn't have stiffened it up enough, I didn't think)

Next, was a duffel bag: done from Butterick 6678, Bag B

This is the end product: I'd had to change a couple of things, including the drawstring length

Here's the back: I put on a strap, this time.

The first one of this pattern I'd made din't have a strap: It was based on the Red Bag in "The Bourne Identity" movie.
Silly me, I put the "Star Applique" on first, before even sewing my first stitch. I really thought it would be in the middle of the front: it wasn't. (It was close, but ... close only counts on Horseshoes and Hand Grenades.) So, I added some Crystal, glue-on things.

I had wanted to make this out of a denim, and so did. I'd wanted the fancy, sparklies on it, and there they are.  I was actually planning to use brass-coloured grommets around the top, but there weren't any available, so I went with white.
The last thing I mad on my Sewing Marathon was a newsboy Cap. I have the material for over half a dozen of these, but chose this material. It's been a long while since I made one, but it turned out alright. I messed up on the gathering; they say the gathering thread has to go on the inside, by the lining. They mean it. I've forgotten which one this is, except that it's a Kwik Sew.
(Just remembered! it's Kwik-Sew 3133.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2013 04:11:40 PM by hat-and-bag-lady » THIS ROCKS   Logged

A.T. Morel
kaz814
Cooking Moderator
Purses, Bags, Wallets Moderator
Reusing, Recycling, Recrafting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013 04:55:31 PM »

These are great bags!  Love the shape of the first one especially!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vote now for the New-To-You Recipe Cooking Challenge!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Cajun Sausage Sautee
How to Make BBQ Lamb Kebabs and Thai Pesto
How to Make Curry Chicken Salad
How to Make Chili Cinnamon Salmon with Mango Salsa Part 1/2
How to Make Parmesan Tuiles
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Molded Hot Glue
More Amazing Matchboxes
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...