A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,583
Currently Running With Scissors:
498 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Poor Man's Dress Form...  (Read 2561 times)
Tags for this thread: duct_tape , duct_tape_crafts , dress_form  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rebecnik
« on: June 09, 2013 11:58:10 AM »

...or "the creepy silver mermaid thing."

I have a dress I want to alter as well as one I want to make, and I'm sure that there will be plenty more of each category to come. Real dress models are super expensive, though, so the "poor man's dress form" as I call it is perfect for now (one day when I'm rich, I'll spring for a nice one).

First of all, I cannot and will not take credit for this idea. It comes from Subversive Seamster, which is an excellent book mostly focusing on clothing reconstruction.

Second of all, this was meant to be a video tutorial. I had spent days figuring out in my mind exactly what I was going to say, what order I was going to do everything, etc. It was funny and informative, and it was going to be my first ever tutorial. It was gonna be GREAT. But, as my boyfriend and I discovered as we were moving onto the last step of the process, the memory card had been full just after my introduction. So after several minutes of staring in silence at my creation, we finished it up and took this picture:

Now, I've scanned the pages of the book that show how to make this, considering the whole video thing went south. But would it be illegal to post that? I wouldn't think so; I'm not making money off it, and it's just a few pages, but I want to make sure beforehand. Otherwise, I'll give my own rendition.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
steiconi
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013 02:40:49 PM »

Posting pages scanned from a copyrighted book is a violation of copyright, even if you aren't making money.  After all, if someone reads your copy, they might not buy the book.

There are several online tutorials for a duct-tape dummy, so you don't have to besmirch your karma by posting illegal material.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rebecnik
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013 09:49:13 PM »

Posting pages scanned from a copyrighted book is a violation of copyright, even if you aren't making money.  After all, if someone reads your copy, they might not buy the book.

There are several online tutorials for a duct-tape dummy, so you don't have to besmirch your karma by posting illegal material.

Ah, okay.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013 08:59:59 AM »

ha ha YOU DID IT! 

I think that your buddy will be a handy thing to have to make your fittings so much easier and more precise!  I had a commercial one, but the knobs and stuff to make it me was so time-consuming and never could really duplicate my shape...I really like the duct tape ones...and, you can poke it with pins and repair it with more duct tape! Grin

Excellent! 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

rebecnik
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013 10:51:35 AM »

ha ha YOU DID IT! 

I think that your buddy will be a handy thing to have to make your fittings so much easier and more precise!  I had a commercial one, but the knobs and stuff to make it me was so time-consuming and never could really duplicate my shape...I really like the duct tape ones...and, you can poke it with pins and repair it with more duct tape! Grin

Excellent! 

Wow, so I suppose this will have its advantages over the mega-expensive ones!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013 10:53:10 AM »

...I hate to admit it, but when I moved last time, I left my expensive dress form on the curb for anyone to take...that is how much I did not use it... Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pyxye
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014 02:38:47 PM »

This is a great tutorial.  I have read that building the form with gusset tape, also called cloth tape, is a better option because pins pushed through duct tape get sticky.  The gusset tape, apparently, isn't.

author=rebecnik link=topic=424450.msg5048962#msg5048962 date=1370886695]
ha ha YOU DID IT! 

Excellent! 

Wow, so I suppose this will have its advantages over the mega-expensive ones!
[/quote]
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Zylo
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014 04:43:42 PM »

Oh man. I helped my mom do one of these years ago. I was taping her up and just going to town when all of a sudden she moved and I realized that there was a lot of extra tape in these "bubbles". It turns out that she was slouching the whole time and didn't realize it until we were almost done! So her form turned out... lumpier than we expected, but it was still fun. I think yours turned out a lot better than ours did.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For tutorials, recipes, and patterns, check out my website: Fanofstuff.com.

For handmade gifts and accessories, visit my Etsy shop: Etsy.com/shop/ZyloHandmade

Also find me on pinterest at /fanofstuff or /zylohandmade!
rebecnik
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2014 04:04:55 PM »

Oh man. I helped my mom do one of these years ago. I was taping her up and just going to town when all of a sudden she moved and I realized that there was a lot of extra tape in these "bubbles". It turns out that she was slouching the whole time and didn't realize it until we were almost done! So her form turned out... lumpier than we expected, but it was still fun. I think yours turned out a lot better than ours did.

That is an awesome story...I'm sure you shared some laughs!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Zylo
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2014 02:50:30 PM »

That is an awesome story...I'm sure you shared some laughs!

I actually kept the dress form for years. I would lug around my mom's torso in my car and put her on shelves and things. It always got strange looks from people, but it provided a great story!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For tutorials, recipes, and patterns, check out my website: Fanofstuff.com.

For handmade gifts and accessories, visit my Etsy shop: Etsy.com/shop/ZyloHandmade

Also find me on pinterest at /fanofstuff or /zylohandmade!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Like A Pro Hair Tips From Ken Paves
Voluminous Barbie Ponytail Tutorial
5 Ways to Fight Off Frizz
Salon Giving Back Through Beauty
2 Hot Hair Trends From Hollywood’s Top Celebrity Hair Stylist
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...