A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,065
Currently Running With Scissors:
644 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Half and Half Halter (with tutorial)  (Read 5557 times)
Tags for this thread: pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jenfullmoon
« on: July 07, 2005 08:53:36 AM »

Once upon a time, I wanted to make another ribbon tank top. However, I went to the yarn store and couldn't find more than 3 balls of any one shade of color/yarn that I wanted to use. Then I got an idea... since two of the yarns were about the same size and similar colors...why not make a top that's half one yarn and half the other?

Hence, the Half and Half Halter.

On the right side, we have Crystal Palace Party, "Ultra Blues" #402. On the left, we have The Collection Sari, shade 06. Both are about the same size and knit approximately to the same gauge (about 6 stitches per inch with size 8 needles).

Instructions are the same for both sides, but make sure you have the sides set up so that one covers the left boob and one covers the right. It uses size 8 regular and double pointed needles (the DPN's for the straps).

Measure around waist to see how many inches you've got going. Cast on enough stitches to fit half of your waist, but leave a few stitches off at the end. Make sure to have an even number. It came out to about 88 inches for me.

K1, P2, K2- continue K2, P2 ribbing as such until the bottom of the halter is as long as you want it. The ribbing will stop at the bottom of your breasts.

Knit stockinette stitch for an inch and a half. Bind off half of your stitches, finish your row. (Should have around 44 inches to cover your boob.)

Follow the short row instructions here, depending on your tit size. I did 12 rows since I'm er...hugeish. Then knit 2 rows after finishing the short rows.

With stitch markers, indicate the middle 13 stitches. You'll want to bind off the left and right sides and leave the 13 as normal. (Note: if you put the second side stitches onto your other needle and then start slipping stitches over each other without using thread, it leaves your thread intact to keep knitting at the new starting point.)

Switch to double-pointed needles and do 2 rows of stockinette stitch.
Decrease by 1 at the start of each side on the next 2 rows, RS and WS.
Knit 2 more rows of stockinette stitch.
Repeat that until you are down to 7 stitches.
Knit in stockinette for as long as you want the halter strap to be.

When you're done, decrease by 1 on the next 2 rows.
Knit 2 more rows of stockinette stitch.
Repeat 13 and 14 until you're down to 3 stitches. Bind off.

When you've finished both sides, sew front and back sides together.

When I finished this, I found that the back rolled a fair amount. I ended up sewing in a dart in the back (sorry, no photo) to take in the extra space, and it worked pretty well. I'm not sure how to re-alter the pattern to compensate for that since I'm a beginner at making up my own patterns- maybe you'd just want to do ribbing all the way on the back instead.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftykate
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2005 06:50:50 PM »

That's a neat idea. I'm forever ending up with "not quite enough" yarn for a project. I've done stripes, but never thought to make something half and half to solve that problem. I love your yarn choices. Good colors.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://craftykate.etsy.com

Yep, it's a knit blog
http://craftykate-knits.blogspot.com/

wanna trade? I heart personal swaps.
octagonfudge
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2005 10:59:04 AM »

I like it!  It's really different.  And it would be something to do with those odd balls of yarn I bought (why did I think only buying 300 yards of something was a good idea?) and have nothing to do with now.  Sweet.
I think I might try one with the ribbing one type of yarn and then do something different on the top, too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jumped on the bandwagon- www.octagonfudge.bl ogspot.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Met Gala - Daria Werbowy Transforms Into the Ultimate Brooklyn Punk
How to Wear the Sweatshirt Trend
Mondays With André: Marc Jacobs on the Pajamas Trend
Mondays With André: Oxford Union Signature Style
Mondays With André: Michelle Obama Fahion
Latest Blog Articles
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects
Spotlight On: Amigurumi
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Karen Casper

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...