A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,467
Currently Running With Scissors:
439 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Janome 4030PR Review  (Read 1042 times)
Tags for this thread: review , janome  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Listessa
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Summertime Slacker Crafter

Buried in Beads!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: June 07, 2013 03:07:23 AM »

Brand: Janome

Model: DC4030PR  (Same as a DC4030, but I guess they donated some of the profits for boobie cancer, so it has more pink in the decorative graphics than the regular one.)

Year:  Not certain, I bought it in 2013, but it was the floor model at the store.

Cost:  They started at $800something, but seem to have dropped in price this year to mid $500s.  I hit a Memorial Day sale that was fantastic, on top of an open stock and floor model discount, so I think I paid around $300. 

How long have you had the machine?  A week so far.

Is it a basic sewing machine, serger, or embroidery machine?  Basic sewing, but computerized functions.

What are your favorite features?  The computerized functions.  Seriously.  You. Can't. Screw. It. Up.  I remember using my Mom's Singer, you nearly needed a manual every time you wanted to use one of the fancy stitches- everything had to match and be adjusted just right or it would get totally screwed up. 
This one is SO easy.  Pick a stitch, make sure your foot selection matches the letter that is written on the stitch button, and go. 

I like the needle threader, it works very well, and the whole machine is a dream to thread.  I also like the drop in bobbin, and ease of threading. 

Feed dogs are really easy to drop and raise too.  It came with an absolute ton of feet too. 

It's not hard to figure out how to use it, and the manual it came with is pretty decent.  I like how lightweight it is for carrying to classes or group sewing gatherings. 

What are some of the unique features it has?  I haven't seen this on many other machines-  you don't HAVE to use a foot control.  It has a stop/go button.  It's magical.  So easy if you are like me and don't have an optimal sewing table/area to use- plus your foot doesn't get tired!
The bobbin winder is an independent motor. 
Automatic buttonholes!!!!!  Drop your button in the button foot, select the type of hole you want, and let it do its thing.  Boom.  Buttonhole.  It is super easy to adjust stitches, size, length etc.
The tension of the presser foot can be adjusted for lighter materials too.

How well does it run?  Really well.  I even tried the roller foot (purchased separately) and leather needle on some light to mid-weight leather.  It works SO well.  The machine just ate it right up, (meant in a good way- no jams, no slowing down), and the seam was lovely.
I haven't run it for hours and hours yet, that will be this weekend.  Smiley  I'll update as I use it.

Has it ever broken or needed maintenance you couldn't do yourself?  I got it at a local dealer that is super trustworthy. (I work with a family member of the owner.)  So I do trust them when they say this model is really solid.  It seems like it will be easy to access the machine for adjustments and things.  Plus they said something about a bring it in to be fixed type warranty for the first year, and their servicing is very affordable.

What are your least favorite features?
I'm really not into the color pink, even if it is for a good cause.  I wish the hard cover it came with locked on rather that just rested.  I wish it was a little longer for quilting and stuff, but that would take away the portability and ease of storage.     

I am not sure if I would have paid the full price, or even the $500 something price though.  For $300, I think it was a steal of a deal.  I'm kind of thrifty though. 

Would you recommend this machine to a friend?  I recommended it to my Mother!  Cheesy  I told her she would enjoy using something like this so much more than her current machine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking to de-stash cross stitch magazines, particularly Cross Stitch Gold or New Stitches?  Please drop me a line!  I'd love to swap or buy some missing from my library!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Boutonniere
How to Make an Easy Friendship Bracelet
How to Make a Papier Mache Mask
How to Draw a Closed Book
How to Draw a Sofa
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...