A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 296,711
Currently Running With Scissors:
462 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: DIY "punk" thrift/upcycled clothing ideas?  (Read 1786 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Squiver
« on: June 06, 2013 11:28:57 PM »

So it's high time I fill up my wardrobe with something usable and a little more unique than four long-sleeve shirts of the exact same cut. I desperately am in need of some brainstorming help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SOLATIUM
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013 06:32:55 PM »

I am no good at sewing, but I like to look through google images and catalogues to find clothes that I like that are not availablle in larger sizes and I imagine that one day I will make those clothes for myself lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JuBee82
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013 12:23:38 AM »

Hello, fellow Craftster-er!   Grin

I know your conundrum verrrrrrrrry well.  I look on Torrid and the like all the time, and make a mental wishlist of all the things I would buy if I was rich........or even worse, I see all the awesome things for sale in the small sizes I couldn't wear from the time I was born, LOL. 

My first and easiest suggestions would be looking at tutorials on no-sew t-shirt recons or drawing your own designs onto some plain shirts with fabric markers.  I took a plain $5 v-neck t-shirt and drew on a retro Elvis design. 

Also, there are amazing ideas on here for sewing or tailoring clothing into flattering and stylish new pieces.  I made my own Rockabilly wedding dress out of a ridiculous retro leopard-print Mumuu from Goodwill.  I also converted a floral "church lady" dress into a hi-low hem, grunge-style dress.  Basically, my advice is to play around.  I've had my share of recon disasters, but I also have a wardrobe of D.I.Y. gorgeousness that cost me next to nothing.  This site is a great place to start, and for lessons on cutting/t-shirt surgery YouTube seems to have a zillion videos to make it easier to follow.

Best wishes!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Squiver
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013 02:02:13 AM »

Haha JuBee I feel the same way skulking around on Tumblr. People tend to love to post the coolest looking models and I just think "Wow I wish I could afford that... or fit into that..."
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Lewis Hamilton on His Awe of the People Who Work at Mercedes
Hamilton and Rosberg at the Mercedes-Benz S-Class Coupe Assembly Plant
Toto Wolff on His Visit at AMG in Affalterbach in Germany
Insane Drag Racing Truck Equipped with Jet Engines
Best Cars by Country
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...