A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,189
Currently Running With Scissors:
417 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cheap flip-flop refashion with mini tute  (Read 1691 times)
Tags for this thread: flip_flops , refashion  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

A_Bit_Crafty

It's not a mistake. It's...um...a design feature.

View Profile WWW
« on: June 06, 2013 03:07:21 PM »

Around this time of year, tons of stores are selling rubber and plastic flip-flops for $1-5, but the plastic part that goes over your feet hurts me.  Like, a lot.  I have scars from the last time I attempted to wear ones with the plastic.  A couple of years ago, I started grabbing up a couple of pairs a year and refashioning them.  Sometimes I cover the plastic, sometimes I remove it and replace it with something else.  Here is my first pair this year.  For this, I wrapped the plastic so it doesn't make contact with my foot.

For this project, I used strips of scrap fabric, and this stuff I found.  I've tried to use hot glue in the past, but it didn't work very well.  This stuff seems to hold pretty well after the 24 hour cure time.

First, take a little bit of your scrap fabric.  Cut it down so it is no taller than the toe part, but long enough that you can wrap it a few times, but not too many.  If you wrap the fabric around the toe too many times, it will be too wide to fit between your toes comfortable.  Use a bit of the glue/adhesive (you should probably use gloves for this) to attach the end of the fabric, wrap tightly around, and add more glue underneath the end.  I also took a Q-tip and rubbed some of the glue across where the fabric ended to tack down the edge.

Next, you are going to attach the end of a long strip of fabric to the end of where the plastic foot portion starts.  Tack down with glue the same way you did the toe.

Start wrapping around the plastic foot portion, making sure you overlap a little each time you go around.  Keep the wrapping tight.  When you get to the end, tack it down with the glue underneath the ending edge, and a little more over the top to get the edge where the wrapping ends.  If you'd like, add a bow, flower, or other embellishments.

Done!

« Last Edit: June 06, 2013 03:33:15 PM by K_Mommy » THIS ROCKS   Logged
meleriffic
Global Moderator
Clothing Moderator
Toys, Dolls, & Playthings Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013 03:13:07 PM »

Love this. I have problems with the cheap ones hurting as well. I should try this. Thanks for sharing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Making Ribbon Ponytail Holders
How to Make a 1950s Hostess Apron
How to Make a Ribbon Watchband
How to Make an Origami Handbag
How to Make a Paisley Silk Scarf
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...