A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,560
Currently Running With Scissors:
716 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Naming products/styles  (Read 694 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

AshtonagoL
« on: June 06, 2013 12:17:32 PM »

How do you name your products?  I sell bags and purses and I just started selling in a local shop. They want to be able to take custom orders for me.  Since i won't be the one there taking the order, it seems like it would be easier if each style of bag had a name. That way they wouldn't have to say they want a blue bag just like the red one, or whatever.  But I stink at being creative with naming things! Anybody have a naming method?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shadojake
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013 06:01:31 PM »

Now I make coasters so this may not apply or you will have to adapt it to fit your line of purses.  I can customize any coaster set with any of the 25 colors I have so I had similar issues ... I want the rooster set in light brown and not dark brown, I want the cowboy boots in black not brown, etc.  Then, I had different fleur de lis designs, different flourish designs, etc.

I have created different "categories" to put each design in.  Here are some of my categories ....
Animals/insects/birds/etc
Apparrel--cowboy boots, cowboy hats, etc.
Fleur de lis designs
Christmas
Easter
Thanksgiving
Time/Travel--postcard designs, Eiffel tower, clocks, maps, etc.
Sports--football, baseball, etc.
Patriotic
Inspirational

Anyway, I think you get the idea.

Maybe if you can separate out categories by the type of fabric or teh pattern on the fabric or somehow by the purse design (clutch, shoulder bag, backpack, butler purse, etc.).  I haven't seen your work so it's hard to suggest a way to sort it out.

Hope this helps some.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

God Bless,
Cindy

Given enough coffee, I could rule the world!
shadojake
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013 06:07:22 PM »

I forgot to mention this and it's important.  I assign each design a number.  Like sports designs are in the 2100 category so all the designs are 21?? .... 2100, 2101, 2102 and so on and each of the numbers has a name.  2101 is LSU football.  It is "LSU" in purple and a football.

1800 is travel.  1801 is named Eiffel Tower.  It has an Eiffel tower design with script in the background.
1802 will be some other travel design
1803 is another travel design
and so on

Hope that clarifies and doesn't confuse you any.  LOL
THIS ROCKS   Logged

God Bless,
Cindy

Given enough coffee, I could rule the world!
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2013 04:48:32 AM »

Are you still using the PB&J name? You could name them jellies: grape jelly, raspberry jam, etc. Though, you might run out of fruit eventually! I also like a nice, organized numbering system, but flower and girl names seem to be popular.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AshtonagoL
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013 02:09:23 PM »

Thanks ladies!  @CraftyChef, I am still using PB&J!  That's an idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

beadsbycelleste
Everyone is creative, you just have to find your motivation!

Oh! A new craft?! Can I try?? Pleeeaaaseee!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013 03:28:36 PM »

I've actually had a problem with this too!! So far, I've just used things like "Gathered clutch in red, blue and green floral" or "Green and gold bib necklace". I have some jewelry and clutches in a local shop and all I have been able to manage was making the items have a sort of coding system for the price tags. Necklaces have an item number that begins with NE001, NE002, etc... Clutches are CL001, CL002, etc.

I have thought about naming them using girly names as CraftyChef mentioned... I've debated buying a baby names book for girls and maybe just thumbing through and randomly selecting a name for a design or even going through the alphabet and choose names I like or maybe even make me think of the particular design I'm trying to name?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Teresa Giudice Explains Milania Hair Care
Wedding Hair Inspiration: Classic Updo
How To Do Vintage Hollywood Hair
Get Next-Level Sexy Hair With This Do-It-All Ingredient
How To Do A Fishtail Braid
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...