A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 302,542
Currently Running With Scissors:
643 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Flannel quilt block ideas?  (Read 757 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

donniesgirl
« on: June 04, 2013 07:40:35 AM »

I would like to try my hand at a flannel quilt. I found the fabric that I like and it is in five different shades. Does anyone have any good ideas for flannel-friendly quilt blocks that would bring five shades together? I was looking at this one, but I am concerned about the small pieces with the flannel: http://www.mccallsquilting.com/patterns/details.html?idx=13782

And I really like this one, but it only has four shades: http://www.quilterscache.com/I/InterlacedBlocksBlock.html

« Last Edit: November 08, 2013 07:32:07 AM by donniesgirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013 08:20:39 AM »

Those both look like really pretty patterns! Sorry, I'm no help on using flannel in quilts, I've only made baby clothes and blankets with flannel. With the second one, you could always use the fifth shade for a border? What exactly is your concern with flannel and the small pieces? That the edges will shred before you stitch them? I know flannel can get kind of ball-y/pill after a few washes if it's not high quality, but other than that I think it's ok.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 5/21

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
donniesgirl
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013 11:24:27 AM »

I am worried about the bulk on the little triangles mostly.  I was also reading that because flannel can fray badly, that a 1/2" seam allowance might be a good idea.  So then I was toying with the idea of calculating how to increase the block sizes a bit, to kind of help with the bulk.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Eamea
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013 08:41:22 AM »

Sorry, but I'm not much help, either.  I've only made one and it was a mess.  I pinned as much as usual, but the quilting really distorted the whole thing.  I also had problems with pulling at the seams (only used 1/4", though), so I had to quilt a large zig zag over the seams.  Luckily it was only a disappearing nine patch, so it didn't ruin the design.  It seems like a lot of quilters are just fine with flannel, so I'm thinking it's just me.  I've just not been tempted to try it again.  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's one in every family, and I'm an only child.
sloth003

i still have all my marbles.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2013 02:17:03 PM »

I make almost all my baby quilts with flannel, and usually try out new patterns as testers for bigger quilts . Ive never had a problem with fraying. I do always wash and with flannel usually spray starch before cutting

. Could you use the fifth shade as the bakground?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Seeking scraps! I'm in need of a variety of white on white scraps. (2.5inch square minimum) for pixel quilts. Have any? Swap for? PM me! Smiley

Stupid men are often capable of things the clever would not dare to contemplate- Terry Pratchett
Colorado Deb
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013 01:03:54 PM »

My last flannel was the Buzz Saw pattern.  The one I have has a few 'saws' spilling out into the border.  It's good with flannels because there is not a ton of seam allowance or small pieces to deal with.  I googled it and the best one that matches my pattern is this- http://thequiltednest.blogspot.com/2009/06/whats-buzz.html

let me know if you want me to send it your way Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's never too late to have a happy childhood.-  NuClia Waste
waggonswest

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2013 10:37:29 AM »

I like to use flannel on the back of quilts.  I have a flannel one made of simple squares that my grandmother made mmphty years ago.  It is well loved.  If you are concerned about quilting, you can tie it.  That works well for a simple pattern. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://waggonswest.etsy.com
25/12,  14/13
57/50 in 2010, 53/50 in 2011, 85/50 in 2012 83/50 in 2013 link, 12/2014
4/14
donniesgirl
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2013 07:34:24 AM »

danynn chose the Celtic Twist block in the last quilt block swap so I got to try it out.  Smiley  I am thinking it might take me forever to finish unless I increase the blocks by 50%.  So I've still be tossing this around in my head...

Thanks for all the input!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Stip fibers from peapods for Chinese food ingredie
Important ingredients for Chinese cooking
Learn about basic Chinese cooking equipment
Art of Chinese Cooking - Food Basics Part 2 of 8
Art of Chinese Cooking - Food Basics Part 1 of 8
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...