A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,549
Currently Running With Scissors:
506 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My first attempt at restoring a book from the late 1800s  (Read 3960 times)
Tags for this thread: book , restoration , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

~*Craftster formerly known as jennieingram*~

I really need a Sonic Seam Ripper.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2013 10:04:21 AM »

Beautifully done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie's Etsy | Facebook | Pinterest | Harry Potter Craftalong

It does not due to dwell on dreams and forget to craft.
rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Member of the Papercraft Gang

"Best of 2013" Winner; too lazy to change avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2013 12:19:15 PM »

Congratulations! This has been chosen as a Featured Project!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy shop. Scary Toys and Halloween for everyone!
My blog: junk&stuff
Pinterest
bunny1kenobi
Ruler of the Roost, Protector of the Progeny, Conqueror of Comestibles, Chieftain of Chores, Consort Extraordinaire, and Crafty to Boot!

Best of 2013 Winner! I like my avatar, tho....

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2013 03:17:27 PM »

Beautiful job!   Smiley

(just a general note to mention that restoration like this may affect the value of the book as an antique)

I agree, it is a beautiful job!  I'm sure this book wouldn't have had much value as an antique because it was so damaged, but I would definitely hesitate if I was thinking about restoring one that was in better shape.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CDEeeek
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2013 05:25:28 PM »

Wow, that is amazing. And inspiring. I wonder if there is a way to fix mildew stains? I have some stuff from the 1800's that are beautiful like this, but sadly they are damp-damaged. They don't smell bad, but there's no removing the stains is there?

Have you had anyone give you an estimate of the worth of the book now that it's restored? I know collectors like unrestored items, but that poor book couldn't get much worse, could it? It's nice that you so lovingly restored it. I will never have a kindle, I tell ya!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I has a pinterest: http://pinterest.com/cdeeeek/

"It's an electronics store, Major, not Basra. Get it under control."
BananaAmbush

ARE the black bits in bananas tarantula's eggs?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2013 12:25:35 PM »

Wow, thanks so much, everybody! I can't believe this was a featured project!  Cheesy

Wow, that is amazing. And inspiring. I wonder if there is a way to fix mildew stains? I have some stuff from the 1800's that are beautiful like this, but sadly they are damp-damaged. They don't smell bad, but there's no removing the stains is there?

Have you had anyone give you an estimate of the worth of the book now that it's restored? I know collectors like unrestored items, but that poor book couldn't get much worse, could it? It's nice that you so lovingly restored it. I will never have a kindle, I tell ya!

Regarding mildew stains, it is entirely possible, but sadly, a ridiculously exact science. This article might give you some idea of the finickiness of foxing and mildew. You're best off taking your books to a professional restorer or conservator.

I haven't had anyone give me an estimate of its worth, but I imagine it isn't worth much of anything. I got it on ebay for around 20 bucks, and I'm guessing that now that it's been altered like this (as opposed to conserving its original parts, etc.) any value it may have had as an antique is gone. That's fine by me, though, as I'm just trying to build up a nice turn-of-the-19th-century library, and don't intend to get rid of it. Paper books are amazing; in fact, I'd say they are one of my favorite things in the world; but I gotta say, nothing travels like a kindle!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

NEW PAPER DOLL ETSY STORE! Get 'em while they're hot!
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CharacterZoo

Also check out my crafty blog and drop me a line!
http://characterzoo.tumblr.com/
jillybeans
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2013 10:38:44 AM »

I so love that you gave that poor tattered book a new life as a book instead of altering out of its natural form.  You did such beautiful work!  It almost made me cry, which I think might just be the pregnancy hormones kicking it.  But that's how lovely I thought it was.  And let me tell you, I don't cry at everything!  ^_^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest

I've moved in May 2013!  Contact me for my new address!
yofi
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2013 01:42:40 PM »

I just have to jump in, as a book lover -- what you've done is wonderful!  Not just making something pretty, but respecting something that was obviously a prized possession from the past.

I tip my hat to you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Athterath
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2013 05:51:21 PM »

Lovely work.  And so much better than discarding the cover or covering half of it with repair tape!

I do hope you took the time to write your own inscription, explaining when / how / why / by whom the book was refreshed.  Somebody 100 years from now might revel in that glimpse at its history.   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweatereyes

We are but lovers.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2013 04:31:13 PM »

Wow!  What a transformation!  I have restored a few science fiction pulp books, but certainly nothing as big as a Woods Illustrated Natural History!  (I don't think I would have the courage to work on that one).  I have a version somewhat similar to yours, but mine is in a bit better condition.  I had mine appraised, and found out that my copy was worth between $60-$120, but if it was in better condition it would be worth closer to $400, so based on the condition of yours (assuming it is close enough to mine) I doubt it would be worth all that much (and I think the worth of having such a beautiful book that you can actually flip through and read is worth far more, especially these books!).  Does your copy have a date inside?  Mine doesn't, but dates between 1890-1895 (so I'm told).   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ill weave your names into my ribcage; lock your hearts inside my chest.
Regain the passion I once carried; do away with all the rest.
I tore the sickness from your bodies; smashed its head against the bricks.
I made a castle from its bones that you may always dwell in it.
nikschaf
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2013 10:44:09 AM »

Beautiful work!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The History of Pumpkin Pie
How to Make a Delicious Pumpkin Bisque
How to Roast Pumpkin Seeds
How to Slow Cook Pork Chops and Sauerkraut
Halloween Snack Ideas - The Rookie Cook
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...