A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,180
Currently Running With Scissors:
651 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: APPLE CHIPS! *with tute!*  (Read 1445 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , apple , category_featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pollyprissypants

I'll bet you ride a Schwinn, Schwinnrider!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: June 02, 2013 02:48:49 PM »

Hey gang!
I got a new food dehydrator, and was craving apple chips. Funny how that worked out!
Anyway, here they are, in their organic, preservative-free glory:

They're pretty easy to make, even if you don't have a dehydrator.

You'll need:
-About four/five apples- use your favorite variety. I like organic Granny Smiths. You're going to want to go organic on these because you'll leave the skins on.
-A bowl with water and lemon/lime/orange juice. You only need a couple of tablespoons of citrus juice in your bowl of water.
-Knife/mandolin and cutting board
-Cinnamon and sweetener of your choice (I use stevia, but if you want sugar or Splenda or whatever, knock yourself out)
-Paper towels or clean dishtowels
-Food dehydrator or oven preheated to 250 F.

Ready? Here we go.
1. If you're using an oven, preheat it now. You'll also want to cover some cookie sheets with foil. If you're using a dehydrator, dig it out from wherever it lurks and separate your layers.

2. Wash your apples. Get 'em good and clean. Again, go organic- we're not peeling them.

3. Using your knife or mandolin, slice 'em as thin as you can. DON'T CORE THEM OR PEEL THEM. You can pop the little seed giblets out using the tip of your knife. Note: The thicker the slice, the longer the cook time and the chewier the end result.

4. As you slice, chunk them into your bowl of citrus water. This helps them keep their color and not brown.

5. After they've all been dunked in the water, lay out some paper towels. I use a layer of about four. Assemble your topping- 2 parts cinnamon to one part stevia was what I used; you use whatever tickles your fancy. Place one layer of apples on the paper towels. You don't have to dry or blot them, just let 'em hang out.

6. Sprinkle that cinnamon goodness over them. If you accidentally put too much, use your fingers to wipe some off (or a paper towel, if you're trying to be PROPER).

7. Load up your dehydrator trays/foil lined cookie sheets. You don't want them to overlap, but it doesn't matter if the apples touch.

8. Pop 'em into their destination.

COOKING TIME:
Dehydrator- About four-six hours (if you have settings on yours, aren't you special? You'll need to put it on low. I'm not that cool. One speed/temp fits all.) Play around with what works best for your desired outcome.
Oven- Start checking after about an hour. You'll want your chips to get shriveled up, but not burn or brown too much.

Mine looked like this:

Note that the brown is cinnamon, NOT burned apples!

Let the chips cool completely before putting in storage or allowing them to overlap. Chips will crisp up as they cool. They won't be as crunchy as store bought chips, but guess what? These have no preservatives! They're pretty friggin' tasty, too.

Store apple chips in an air tight container. I used a big ziploc bag. If you're anti-bag, that's cool; just put them in a jar.

These are great in homemade granola (added after the baking process), good as to-go snacks, and a very clean way to get a messy child to eat more fruit. If you make some, let me know how they turn out!
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013 06:33:04 PM by pollyprissypants » THIS ROCKS   Logged

MissingWillow
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013 04:28:39 PM »

I never thought about adding cinnamon to dried apples or apple chips.  Thanks for the tutorial!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Farm Life Blog  
I'm a shepherd and have raw fleece.  PM me if you want to swap for some.

Craftster has gone mobile!  Read all about it here
pollyprissypants

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013 04:47:19 PM »

Oh man, you gotta try the cinnamon. SO. GOOD.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

seleniebeanie
Running on all 4 cylinders!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013 06:25:51 PM »

This is interesting - I've been making them for 15 years now and do them a bit differently.

some things I found:
Granny smith (green apples) are too tart, so you'd need more sugar
removing the peelings is better because they become little hard bits for kids to get caught in their throat
Removing the core also for the above reason
145 degrees Celsius for 12 hours makes them awesomely crunchy
I start to make them about 6pm, when they're done in the morning, they're ready for school lunches
If the apples are fresh, you can speedily remove the peelings & core using a hand-cranked apple peeler (they're like $10)
-or-

I cut the apple into quarters, remove the core with a paring knife, then the outer peeling.
After doing 12-15 apples (I choose large apples) I then take each quarter and cut them into smaller slivers-each one makes 4-5
and put them in a bowl after doing a bunch, I'll sprinkle a mixture of cinnamon & sugar mixed-1 part cinnamon to 3 parts sugar
over them, stirring them around gently with a spatula or big spoon, until they all have a bit on them. then I lay them on the trays in circular rows. each tray holds about 3-4 apples worth of chips - more if the apples are smaller

Oh! they stay crunchy longer if you keep them in a glass jar- I reuse spaghetti sauce jars (since they can't be recycled here)
My local food bank LOVES it when I send them some. I usually make 8 jars worth each time because I have 8 trays (I've killed a dehydrator & reused the trays)
Here's what they look like:

Trust me - they are tasty..and VERY addictive! Let me know how you made out  - peace!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My ultimate gifts to receive: Thread and Glue Sticks!
pollyprissypants

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2013 06:46:14 PM »

Cool, thanks for the tips! I like the peels and the tartness of the grannies, but it's always nice to know I have options!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KitKat84
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013 04:52:53 PM »

I love apple chips but they are so expensive to buy. I'm filing this away as an idea to try later. I'll come back and post on how they turned out after I've made some!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Push the envelope. Watch it bend.
steph_patt
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013 02:18:21 PM »

I LOVE apple chips! Aren't dehydrators wonderful?!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jenobob
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2013 03:08:22 PM »

The packaging on the apple chips is super cute, thank you for sharing. Oh and wouldn't it be so cute to give these for teachers for back to school?!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How a Comedian Creates Meaningful Career Goals
Matt Ruby on How to Make Personal Connections in a Crowded Room
Thinking Maps Differently
How Standup Comedian Creates and Refines Material
Matt Ruby on Why Standup Comedians Need a Short and Long Game
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...