A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 296,734
Currently Running With Scissors:
642 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: cars on the go with mini tutorial  (Read 1403 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

travelgirl
« on: June 01, 2013 08:57:50 PM »

My nephew is turning 4! (gah where has time gone) and has been really into cars for the past couple of years so I decided to make him this fabric case to hold some matchbox cars and road pieces so that he can take his cars on the go.  It's six pockets to put the cars in and an extra velcro pocket at the top that can be used to haul other things around. To complete his birth day kit I made some portable road pieces to go in that pocket.

I based this off of a crayon holder that I made earlier in the year, and decided to make up a little tutorial so I won't have to try to figure it all out again in the future when my other nephews have their birthdays.

First the pieces you will need
I used a main and contrast fabric for a little variety
so 2- ( 18x10 ) inch pieces of main fabric
1- ( 18x 6 ) inch piece of contrast
1-( 18x 6.5) piece of contrast
2- (4 in) pieces of Velcro
1- (3 in) piece of thin elastic
1 button ( I used a cute one i found shaped like a car)

gather all your supplies

Start by folding the 18x6 piece in half and press- this will be your pocket for your cars,
 then on your other piece of contrast fold over 3/4 of an inch and press. Decide where you would like your velcro to be for your pocket, I put my pieces in 3 inches from each edge, and then line that up with one of your pieces of main fabric so that you can pin the other side of the velcro down.

Now I'm a big fan of doing lots of pinning then lots of sewing so next I got my car pocket ready to go. I lined up the raw bottom edges of both the contrast piece and the main piece that already has the velcro pinned to it. Starting from the middle measure out lines every three inches and pin, these will make the pockets that your cars go into. I did find that 3 inches was a little bit on the big side but I figure if he wants to put any of his trucks or bigger cars in this will work just fine.

Next head to the sewing machine and sew along the lines you've marked and sew the velcro down.  Here are my pieces all sewn together.

Next take your piece of thin elastic and fold it in half and pin it to the short side of the piece that has the pocket and velcro, tack down in place

Now comes the easy part, velcro your contrast piece with elastic onto the main piece so that it lines up then take the other piece of main fabric (the other 18x10 piece) and place it on top right sides together. Pin all the edges around making sure you leave an opening for turning.

Sew all the way around, again making sure to leave  an opening to turn the whole thing, and then clip the corners and I like to press everything just to make sure it's nice and flat

then with a needle and thread or with the sewing machine, stitch up the opening that you left for turning. Fold the top half down and then fold into thirds to determine where to put your button and Ta-Da! you have have a cut little holder for all your cars that has an extra pocket for additional things you may want to bring along. In this case I filled it with some road pieces I made.

For the road I basically just got some grey felt and cut road pieces that were 3.5 inches wide and however long or curvy I thought looked cool then eyeballed the yellow dashes down the middle. The dashes are just basic yellow paint. the most difficult part was waiting for the paint to dry.

And one picture of the car/ road carrier all folded up

I hope he likes it and I hope the instructions I provided are clear and make some sense!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
meleriffic
Global Moderator
Clothing Moderator
Toys, Dolls, & Playthings Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013 06:13:32 AM »

What a great gift.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
pinkleo
Crochet Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

~*HPC Headmistress*~

lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013 08:21:06 AM »

Fantastic tute!  Kiss Thank you for posting!
And such a wonderful gift! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Choose Paint and Colours
How to Apply Graffiti
A Guide to Controlling a Graffiti Can
A Guide to Tagging Graffiti
A Guide to Painting
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...