A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,492
Currently Running With Scissors:
632 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What Do You Journal About?  (Read 607 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jolenemarie

Make Art - Not War

View Profile WWW
« on: June 01, 2013 04:06:49 PM »

Do you ever wonder sometimes "what have I got to journal about?"
When I first started keeping an art journal (about 7 years ago) I thought about that a lot....then realized the answer...."EVERYTHING!"  Grin

I never wait for something 'special' to journal about -- most often I just journal the ORDINARY!

The example below --- we were **thinking** about rearranging the furniture in our home ....THAT was certainly not anything special...but it ended up making a FUN journal page...and I want to have FUN in my journal!

Does the blank page intimidate you? Do you not know HOW to begin?
My advice is -- look around you --- there is so much inspiration all around us...and it doesn't have to be anything mind-boggling, or a special event in your life...make it FUN and MAKE ART...that will turn the ORDINARY into EXTRAORDINARY!  Cheesy

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Beautifulsoul
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Born a Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013 04:55:38 PM »

Thanks for the inspiration Smiley I definitely needed an extra push to get me started. I'm fairly new to art journaling so blank pages are VERY intimidating to me! Sometimes I have TOO many ideas floating around in my mind. It gets so overwhelming that I'm not able to incorporate that onto a journal page. It's frustrating. I tend to over think things a lot.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Amber
Cincinnati,OH
Interested in personal swaps!
www.ambernewmanjewelry.etsy.com
www.pinterest.com/missamberen/boards
jolenemarie

Make Art - Not War

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013 06:32:54 PM »

Thanks for the inspiration Smiley I definitely needed an extra push to get me started. I'm fairly new to art journaling so blank pages are VERY intimidating to me! Sometimes I have TOO many ideas floating around in my mind. It gets so overwhelming that I'm not able to incorporate that onto a journal page. It's frustrating. I tend to over think things a lot.

Hello Beautifulsoul -

You are welcome!
First of all, let me say that I LOVE your jewelry!!!  Grin Wonderful work!

Maybe you could have TWO art journals -- one for journaling things that you PLAN and THINK THROUGH...and one for spontaneous free-spirited splashes of art! Your spontaneous journal can be where you dare to just throw caution to the wind and simply enjoy THE PROCESS. I do this a lot in my journal -- I go into it with no real plan in mind...I let the process guide me..and usually I have some favorite music blasting as well. I am a child of the hippie generation (the 1960s, yes, I am THAT old...LOL!)...so I usually have on some Pink Floyd, Beatles, or Stones...and even the occasional classical music to relax my mind  Grin

I get over the 'blank page' jitters by beginning with layers of paint and scribbling or stamping....most often it all gets collage images or more paint put on top of it....but it frees my mind and reminds me that I can't make a mistake...after all...it's only paint on a piece of paper that can be painted again  Roll Eyes

Don't pass judgement on yourself or what you journal....let it be all about expression and discovery!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Smmarrt
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013 01:04:59 PM »

Hello Beautifulsoul -

You are welcome!
First of all, let me say that I LOVE your jewelry!!!  Grin Wonderful work!

Maybe you could have TWO art journals -- one for journaling things that you PLAN and THINK THROUGH...and one for spontaneous free-spirited splashes of art! Your spontaneous journal can be where you dare to just throw caution to the wind and simply enjoy THE PROCESS. I do this a lot in my journal -- I go into it with no real plan in mind...I let the process guide me..and usually I have some favorite music blasting as well. I am a child of the hippie generation (the 1960s, yes, I am THAT old...LOL!)...so I usually have on some Pink Floyd, Beatles, or Stones...and even the occasional classical music to relax my mind  Grin

I get over the 'blank page' jitters by beginning with layers of paint and scribbling or stamping....most often it all gets collage images or more paint put on top of it....but it frees my mind and reminds me that I can't make a mistake...after all...it's only paint on a piece of paper that can be painted again  Roll Eyes

Don't pass judgement on yourself or what you journal....let it be all about expression and discovery!

I totally agree about the two journal method. One is the recipient of all the ink, paint and stamps from the "good" journal. Yet, I find I love the pages in the messy journal so much more. I especially like the blank (no lines, no grids) composition books from the Dollar Store, because there is so much you can do with them.

I also have several small Moleskine journals that I use for lettering, quotes and rubber stamp ideas. You can never have enough journals!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.pinterest.com/smmarrt/
Fabric Art Journal Pages Swap ROUND 3 - Done
Altered Puzzle Pieces - Done
Ninni Swap in mid September
Fall Dotee Swap -Visit the gallery!
jolenemarie

Make Art - Not War

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013 03:34:18 PM »

smmarrt, I like, LOVE, the way you think  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Post Production of a Landscape Photograph
Post Production of a Low Light Photography
Low Light Photography
Curves of the Image
Choosing Image from Sequences
Latest Blog Articles
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...