A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 302,560
Currently Running With Scissors:
694 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fiber Friday May 31, 2013  (Read 915 times)
Tags for this thread: fiber_friday , handspun  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

nikschaf
« on: May 31, 2013 12:59:14 PM »

Hello and Happy Friday!!

We had a fortunate break in the rainy weather we've had lately which allowed me to set the twist on my April Shower yarn for the spin-a-long.  (I know it's no longer April.  We'll pretend it is.)

My yarn is a wool and mohair blend from Sheep Shed.  I dyed it with Wilton's in a low-water immersion.  It varies from sport weight to almost worsted weight and is 178 yards.  I plied it with blue sewing thread which I'd threaded with irridescent sequins to represent the raindrops.  Does anyone know how to really capture sparkles in yarns?  No photos of sparkly yarns ever seem to do them justice. 

Anyone else have a yarn this week?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
meleriffic
Global Moderator
Clothing Moderator
Toys, Dolls, & Playthings Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013 01:29:15 PM »

Beautiful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Jessy_Wa
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013 02:13:35 PM »

So I've finally finished this one, been working on it all school year (when I could). It's a merino/cashmere/nylon blend, around 400 yards (at least that's what I have written down  Tongue ).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jexxican

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013 02:46:47 PM »

Nik, that is so great! The sequins is a great addition, I totally see that being rain. And I think it's great you were still going along with the Monthly theme, at least by heart. That's what counts, right?
Jessy_Wa, that is gorgeous. It looks very tactile.
Here's what I got. I spun up some Punta, wound it onto my 2 yard niddy noddy, tossed it into a big pan, and just dumped some yellow and orange Easter dye on it. I think it will make nice stripes worked up. I wanted it to be orange yellow green but, well, another project ate my green dye. It was more spun just for the sake of spinning than anything.
~305 yards, 11.8oz

And this stuff was just some batts I made playing with a carder at my friends house.
~95 yards, 2.8oz
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The perplexity of life arises from there being too many interesting things in it for us to be interested properly in any of them."
- G. K. Chesterton

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life.

It's much more fun, this growing down. -RIP Uncle Shelby-
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2013 04:38:55 PM »

Great yarns!
Nik, that absolutely looks like spring showers! I can't believe it's almost June.....
Jessy_wa, that looks absolutely beautiful. Love how brilliantly white it is.
Jexxican,love the colors. Hope you work it up so we can see it!  And the second ones lovely squishy.
I've been working on my homework. Just tiny skeins. Maybe I'll pull them all out and snap a picture of my hard work Wink

You guys should check out the spinning d&q.  There's a thread about this years TdF!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nikschaf
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2013 08:48:27 AM »

Thanks!  The sequins were a little tricky to spin, because they kind of wanted to stick together and getting a good rhythm with the plying was hard that way, but I was bound and determined to get them in there, because I knew I had to have my raindrops in there!!

Jessy_Wa -- very nice yarn!  You have a good amount of it, too!  Any idea what you'll make with it?  Did you spin on a wheel or a spindle?

Jexx -- Is your first yarn chain-plyed?  Looks great!  I love the texture of the 2nd one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Alexus1325
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2013 11:12:42 AM »

I LOVE Fibre Friday! So drool-worthy! Sequins, fluffy bits, dye jobs, I love it all!

Knowing me, I won't post for another month, so here's what I've been working on in all it's WIP glory:

My first laceweight singles from a mohair blend that was hiding in my Sheep Shed funky bag o' crap. I'd like to knit it into this, and more specifically, this. The salmon was dyed with beet juice leftover from pickled beets, and the bluish-green is Tintex kelly green. I have to go through the tedium of unspinning the green a bit, as it won't unkink during winding, urg... Still have more green to spin as well, but I got distracted by the second project...

My first big cop! This fibre is from a lovely lady on Ravelry who organized a swap. It's mostly cormo with some pink and purple polwarth and a smidgeon of yellow bamboo. I'm very proud of my consistency and the fact that there's 3.35 oz on a 1.25 oz spindle. I have it in an Andean bracelet in my shmancy new "plying box," ready to be wound onto a tennis ball for plying, though I'm considering plying straight out of the box.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2013 11:14:09 AM by Alexus1325 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2013 02:33:53 PM »

Lovely work, Alexus!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn to Twist Hair
Learn how to Cornrow Hair - Finishing the Style
Learn how to Cornrow Hair - Overhand Cornrow
Learn how to Cornrow Hair - Invert Cornrow
Learn how to Cornrow Hair - Sectioning and Planning the Style
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...