A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,548
Currently Running With Scissors:
556 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
    Print  
Topic: 05/30/13 - Lots of fun new features including a new Tutorials Portal!  (Read 4436 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jungrrl
Global Moderator
Crafty Business Advice Moderator
Toys, Dolls, and Playthings Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a portmanteau.

Former Full-time Craftster-er

View Profile WWW
« on: May 30, 2013 02:34:18 PM »

There's been so much going on behind the scenes here at Craftster that we've barely had a moment to tell you about all the fun new features that have been added recently! Nothing here is earth shattering, necessarily, but they should all be really great new ways to make Craftster more usable and more inviting.

Search using tags as suggestions

You may have noticed as you go to type something into the search area that there's a new little drop down trying to suggest things to you! We're pulling all of our tags as suggestions of things you might be searching for. This actually doesn't mean that the search will be for items with that tag... You'll still be getting threads that have those words in the thread but this is a great way to get down to what you're looking for faster!

Don't worry about those commas and underscores, either. The search is smart enough to take those out when it's searching!

See? Here's my results for "pirate, hat,"

New Advanced Search features

I've always thought Advanced Search was pretty great, but now it's even greater! We've added four quick select categories to help you find exactly what you're looking for, fast!

You can choose to search for just finished projects (ie all of our Completed Projects boards!), just craft-related discussion (ie all of our Discussion and Questions boards!), just swap boards and challenges (ie All the swaps, swap galleries, and challenges!), or just non-crafty discussion and local boards (ie the boards related to Craftster like the News and Craftster Itself, plus all of the City Guides boards!)

So say I want to find all of the octopus crafts posted. I can just search for them by typing octopus in the search bar and deselecting everything except "search finished projects"! Oh wait! Actually maybe I'm looking for fellow craft fanatics in my area! I can type in Chicago and deselect everything except "search non-crafty discussion and local boards"! Oh no actually I want to see all of the One Tiny Thing swaps.... Easy, fun, and functional!!

You can still go in and manually select and deselect boards instead if you like but this is a great way to get right down to the areas you need.

Add tags when posting a thread

Because tags are so useful to finding the content you want, we want to encourage you to add them to threads right away! You can now do that when you're creating a new thread!!

Underneath the area where you type your message but before the photo insert area should be a box that says "Tags (optional)". You can see here that I've started to type out what I think is a relevant tag and the system will automatically give me a list of tags that already exist! It will suggest the first 15 tags that could match. You can just select an existing tag and it will pop into place OR just type out what you want and hit enter.

You can add lots of tags if you like! Just remember our rules for tagging!

Tips:

These tags are public are meant to be useful for everyone!

When typing a tag, a drop down menu will appear beneath your entry giving you all possible matches to your entry. If you see the tag you want in the list, please select it.

Please use the singular form of words and phrases unless the word or phrase is typically plural (ie, glasses, pants, etc).

There's no need to enter super-obvious tags. For example, if a project is posted in the crochet board, it does not need to be tagged with the word crochet. The best tags to enter are those that indicate the unique theme or feature of this project.

Spaces in tags are allowed and they will be converted to underscores. No other puncuation is allowed. Example: Charlie's Angels would be entered as charlies angels and stored as charlies_angels.

Only swap galleries with very specific themes should be themes should be tagged. For instance, the Owl swap would be tagged "owl" but the Forest Friends swap would not be tagged. Swap discussions should not be tagged.

(This is not currently available when you modify a post.)

Threads you might like

You might have noticed some new additions to the end of all of our threads. We've added a "Threads you might like" feature! This will pull 5 additional threads that you might be interested in looking at based on the thread you're currently in.

If the thread you're looking at doesn't have any tags, you'll just get a selection of the latest threads from the board you're in, like this:

But this is what you get on the exact same thread immediately after adding a tag (this one was "pirate"! fun!):

You'll get a selection of threads based on what tags are on the thread you're in if they're there, which means if you're looking at a pirate costume for example, you can see a treasure chest made of a toilet paper roll, an embroidered treasure map, a striped pirate hat, a jolly roger cake, and a peg-legged eye patch wearing elephant!

And what happens if the threads you're being shown don't have images? Well then you get to look at these corky cuties!  Wink

Tutorials Portal

The biggest new thing is our Tutorials portal!! You may have noticed that the tape measure got changed up a bit... See that circle? That circle over the word TUTORIALS?!?!

Well this is why! Our Tutorials Portal a brand new way to view and stay up to date on the latest tutorials all around Craftster.  We will be adding new threads here as soon as we're made aware of them. Most of the time they'll be added here BEFORE they're added to their Tutorial Lists, so keep your eyes peeled here first!

The main Tutorials page will list the three most recently added tutorials at the top and the three most recently added for every category in the list underneath.

Just look at all those categories!!

You can also access our most recently added videos from the main tutorials page but stay tuned as soon this will move away from our current set up and direct you to our more frequently updated Youtube Channel!

Plus, if you click on any of the categories on the main Tutorials page you'll be taken to a page featuring every single tutorial for that category! Again the three most recently added will be at the top and the full list is underneath. Smiley

On any of the featured tutorials at the tops of these pages you can either click "Read more" to go directly to the tutorial, or "reply" if you just can't wait to start talking!

We hope you like these awesome new ways to enjoy Craftster!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013 03:11:55 PM by jungrrl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013 02:35:20 PM »

WOOT!  Hope you all enjoy the new features!  Go forth and explore them. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
MissingWillow
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013 02:51:35 PM »

Awesome!  Thanks for making craftster even better!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Farm Life Blog  
I'm a shepherd and have raw fleece.  PM me if you want to swap for some.

Craftster has gone mobile!  Read all about it here
spikefan

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013 02:58:27 PM »

Love the new features!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

meleriffic
Global Moderator
Clothing Moderator
Toys, Dolls, & Playthings Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013 03:00:16 PM »

Awesome! All these new features are great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

"Best of 2013" Winner; too lazy to change avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2013 03:09:17 PM »

Just when you thought it couldn't get any better. Great new changese!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy shop. Scary Toys and Halloween for everyone!
My blog: junk&stuff
Pinterest
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2013 03:21:52 PM »

YEEEEHAW!!!!!!!!!  Look at all those spanky fancy new features! I've noticed a few, missed the others and I'm totally excited about the tutorial portal.  Great job behind the scenes people who do all this technical stuff!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Listessa

Summertime Slacker Crafter

Buried in Beads!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2013 03:32:51 PM »

I'm really digging the Tutorials Tab.  It's wicked nice to have them so easily at hand like that.  Thanks!
 Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking to de-stash cross stitch magazines, particularly Cross Stitch Gold or New Stitches?  Please drop me a line!  I'd love to swap or buy some missing from my library!
HSG
Global Moderator
Glass Crafts Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Oy Vey!

Margaritas & Facial Masks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2013 03:44:00 PM »

Just when you think Craftster is the best it can be, you all come up with more ways to make it rock! Still the best location on the web for creative/crafty people.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LimeRiot
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Sublime

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2013 05:42:58 PM »

WHOO HOOOOO!!! So many exciting updates. Everything is great but the new Tute tab is extra AWESOME!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest!
My Blog!

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Print  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Kirigami Sheep
How to Make a Kirigami Butterfly
Recycled Paper Art Necessities
Choosing Paper Type for Recycled Paper Art
How to Create Textures for Recycled Paper Art
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...