A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,132
Currently Running With Scissors:
342 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 110
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: CLOSED-HP Craftalong ~Summer Semester 2013~  (Read 117139 times)
Tags for this thread: harry_potter  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lelyonna
Tutorial Contributor

Regnflickan

View Profile
« Reply #930 on: August 15, 2013 02:24:50 AM »

Best  challange ever! <3
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The key to happiness is not getting what you want- it's wanting what you get"
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

~*Craftster formerly known as jennieingram*~

I really need a Sonic Seam Ripper.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #931 on: August 15, 2013 05:57:15 AM »

jennieingram- Oh that's AWESOME!!!  Thank you!! Cheesy  (gonna go have to iron my Witch of the Week badge on a shirt so I can go forth in the mundane world wearing it proudly. : )  That is a NICE apron!  I love how all your canning is coming along!!!  And your labels are AWESOME!!!  Smiley  You have motivated me to make pretty labels for our canning.  For years we've just wrote what it is and the date it was canning on a piece of masking tape and stuck it on the glass.  Smiley  You made MUSTARD???  Did you can it???  Can I beg you for your recipe??!!!???!!! Cheesy   Caramelized Red Onion Relish Huh  *mouth drop* *drool*  I bet that tastes aweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesome!!!  *more drool*  (Im Hungarian.  We eat onions with almost every meal. Lol )   OMG YOU USED IT ON PIZZA!!!  I HAVE to try this now!!!!  Cheesy Your Craftster bracelet is wonderful. Smiley  

Hey midkiffsjoy!  Thanks for the kind words.  Cheesy  Let's see if I can answer your questions...

Yep.  I made mustard.   Smiley  Yep, I canned it.  Cheesy  The recipe was Oktoberfest Beer Mustard from the Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving.  You can also find it on their website, Freshpreserving.com.  The Ball book had me put it in 8oz. jars, but the online version calls for 4 oz. jars.  Here is a link to the online version:  Oktoberfest Beer Mustard

As for the Carmelized Red Onion Relish, that came from the book Food In Jars, which is also the name of the author's blog.  Food In Jars.  I have to warn you though, I found her book to be very poorly written.  The recipes *sound* great, and the Red Onion Relish was the most amazing thing I've ever eaten, but the book itself was kind of a hot mess.  I think that since her blog is popular, the publisher rushed through the book writing process, and didn't bother to edit it.  There are multiple typos per page, and vital information missing about the canning recipes.  For example, there's no mention of the amount of head space needed in some recipes.  If you want to read my full review of the book, you can check it out on Amazon.  (And yes, I know I sound like an awful human being for my poor review of the book, but if you want to try canning, you do NOT want to try with this book.)

Here's the recipe, and my notes about it are in purple below...

Caramelized Red Onion Relish
Makes 3 1-pint jars

1 T unsalted butter
4-5 large red onions, (about 10 cups) Note: use more like 12+ cups!
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 c apple cider vinegar
c malt vinegar
2 tsp sea salt
1 tsp garlic powder
tsp fresh ground pepper
tsp cayenne (*I used a dash and it was plenty to add heat but not burning)

Slice your onions into thin half-moons.  (I did this the night before, and used a mandolin to make it go faster.  The chopping was honestly horrible, even with the mandolin.  Next time I am going to try using a vegetable dicer to chop them into a square dice.  The long strings of onions were kind of hard to get out of jars or put onto foods, even though they looked really pretty.)

Prepare a boiling water bath and heat your pint jars.

Melt the butter over medium-low heat in a large, non-reactive pan. Add the onions.  Cook until the onions are golden and fragrant. About 20-25 minutes.  (*Note, mine in NO WAY turned golden. Though I used a large pan for this, there is simply not enough surface area compared to the amount of onions, nor enough heat for them to take on color.  They simply turned soft and let out a lot of juices.  They did turn a beautiful shade of pink though. Wink)

Add the remaining ingredients. Increase the heat and bring to a boil.  Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes, until the liquid has greatly reduced.  (Not very descriptive, is it?)

Ladle the relish into prepared jars. Gently tap jars on counter to dislodge bubbles, then use a wooden chopstick to remove any remaining bubbles. Recheck the jar's headspace & adjust if necessary.  Cover, and process for 15 minutes.  

(What headspace?   headspace?  The book doesnt ever say how much to leave, much to my annoyance.  I went with 1/2", and I filled 2 pint jars, with a half jar left over.  Very annoyed that while I measured my onions and all other ingredients precisely, they came no where near filling the three jars indicated.)

Finally, you'll want to be careful about the day you choose to make this.  I chopped all my onions while my husband was out at a concert one night, so that he wouldn't be bothered by the onion fumes.  I cooked it the next day, with the windows open, a fan on, and him 2 rooms away.  It still made his eyes water uncontrollably, although it wasn't as bad for me.  It was much worse for me while chopping the night before.  Next time I'll pick a day I'm alone at home.

(Editors note: Smart woman. No posts of the Weeping Angels unless you want to start a mass hysteria, thank you very much. *Shudder*) [/size]

***The Craftster post of an Angel becomes itself an Angel!***  Wink

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)

Thank you Ant Bee for that awesome SPEW write up!  You, as always, amaze me with your thoroughness and thoughtfulness.  I'm already working on some projects for the Aquaheart clan and hope to ship out quite soon.  Cheesy  
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013 06:33:41 AM by jennieingram » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie's Etsy | Pinterest | Harry Potter Craftalong - Summer Semester

It does not due to dwell on dreams and forget to craft.
Ant Bee

Expecto Procrastinatum!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #932 on: August 15, 2013 06:03:55 AM »

(Editors note: Smart woman. No posts of the Weeping Angels unless you want to start a mass hysteria, thank you very much. *Shudder*)

***The Craftster post of an Angel becomes an Angel!***  Wink

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)

EXACTLY! Every time I stumble upon on one here or on Pinterest I'm like, "NOOOOOOO! My laptop will bring forth the enemy of the Doctor!! GAAHHHH scroll, Scroll, SCROLL AND DON'T BLINK!"

**This concludes my early morning geek-out. Thank you.**  
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013 07:08:06 AM by Ant Bee » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Harry witnessed Professor McGonagall walking right past Peeves who was determinedly loosening a crystal chandelier and could have sworn he heard her tell the poltergeist out of the corner of her mouth 'It unscrews the other way.
― J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
lelyonna
Tutorial Contributor

Regnflickan

View Profile
« Reply #933 on: August 15, 2013 02:55:47 PM »

~*COMPLETED OWL HEADER*~
OWL Subject & Option : History of Magic- something historical
House: Slytherin
Project Name: Galadriel goes Snuffles
Project Page Link: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=426669.0#axzz2c2wysD2t
Brief Description: Since I come from a very, Very old wizarding family (going all the way back to Merlin! Beat that silly muggles!) I wanted to honour that by using some very old techniques in my crafting. Hence when making this gorgeously green dress I added card weaved details for the sleeves. The costume is for a muggle larp I am attending a weekend when slipping out of hogwarts to go out to the forbidden forest and pretend to be a psychic. Pretty much what I do every divination class, but this time I actually get to freak people out and start of intrigues and relationship issues with all my toxic tales. I shall be playing a very kind, but a bit hard-to-understand, melancholic elf from the seaside, who now lives in the forest.
Project Picture:

There are a lot of better pictures of all the different parts if you click the link. In the end I am very pleased with the result (though of course dissatisfied with some things here and there).

and with that I realised I have not called out Bingo pretty much every time I have achieved one since the first one I claimed. However, this will be the last bingo I can claim because I have no time left to finish a newt and I have already crossed every single other square on that bingo chart. Sooo...
SUPERBINGO to me I guess ^^ This means I have... eh... uhm.... well.... a lot of them. All lines that doesn't include the newt-square. They really ought to teach maths at hogwarts, don't they?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The key to happiness is not getting what you want- it's wanting what you get"
pinkleo
Crochet Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

~*HPC Headmistress*~

lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #934 on: August 15, 2013 03:00:32 PM »

~*Congratulations patty_o_furniture*~
The NEWT Examiners are proud to present you with
your Ancient Runes NEWT Certificate

Well done on completing your SoAR NEWT! 
You are now free to further your Advanced Studies by proposing another OWL or a NEWT.

sorry for the delay and thank you jennie for the remembrall
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinkleo
Crochet Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

~*HPC Headmistress*~

« Reply #935 on: August 15, 2013 03:03:09 PM »

~*Congratulations jennieingram*~
The NEWT Examiners are proud to present you with
your Astronomy NEWT Certificate

Well done on completing your Astronomy NEWT! 
You are now free to further your Advanced Studies by proposing another OWL or a NEWT.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2013 08:39:51 AM by pinkleo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinkleo
Crochet Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

~*HPC Headmistress*~

« Reply #936 on: August 15, 2013 03:05:52 PM »

off to make dinner....then back to update... Cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AugustBell

« Reply #937 on: August 15, 2013 06:32:42 PM »

Patty_o, your monster pegs made me smile REAL BIG!!! So adorable!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pottermouth

I like Kit-Kat, unless I'm with 4 or more people.

« Reply #938 on: August 15, 2013 07:33:42 PM »

Itching to do the new challenge! The love is all ready to send, but the crafts have yet to appear.

side note: must.have.halloween.peggies. Love 'em!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Audania1
Christmas crafting all year round...

Magic always comes with a price

« Reply #939 on: August 15, 2013 08:16:21 PM »

Hey everyone! I love all of the lovely things everyone's making! I've been seeing them the last few days but it's been rough around here and I haven't actually been able to comment on anything.  Cry I'm not really the type of person to ask peeps online, but if you're the praying or sending good thoughts type, my nephew could sure use it. He's going on his fourth surgery for this summer tomorrow. It's not a very complicated one, but he's so discouraged to be stuck in the hospital again especially since he's supposed to start second grade on Tuesday. I've been watching his two sisters most of this summer and they are totally sad for him too because he's basically had to miss all of the summer fun. So, yeah, any thoughts and prayers are welcome and appreciated! Thanks, you awesome crafty peeps!

And Lelyonna, I love that costume!!! You are so lucky! I think larping would be way fun and I would rock that costume so hard lol! Have fun and you have to tell us of your adventures afterward  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 110 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Helpful Makeup Tools That Make Application Easier
DIY Organic Face Mask for Smooth, Hydrated Skin
Follow Just One Step to Lighten Dark Spots and Acne Scars
5 Daily Steps to Get Glowing Skin
5 Best Spring Perfumes
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...