A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 296,696
Currently Running With Scissors:
595 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 110
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: CLOSED-HP Craftalong ~Summer Semester 2013~  (Read 115520 times)
Tags for this thread: harry_potter  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

teag
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #630 on: July 19, 2013 08:28:35 PM »

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Care of Magical creatures
House: Ravenclaw
Project Name:very rare, colorful, whimsical,cute, steampunked,  rocking bird

Brief Description: This gorgeous bird was picked up the Misuse of Muggle Artifacts Office after it was found in the presence of a muggle family- It caused quite a stir at the ministry between the departments because the wizard who charmed it combined several unusual items to create it- a live and rare bird closely related to the  budgerigar a child's toy rocker and a pair of quidditch goggles. it was hours of discussions before any one department would lay claim and ultimately retrieve this most delightful artifact-

Advance studies owl progress- eight of the inked advertising posters so far they are all 9"x12"

THIS ROCKS   Logged

netchez
« Reply #631 on: July 19, 2013 10:03:20 PM »

Everyone... there are so many wonderful projects posted that I cannot keep them straight!  You are all inspiring me!

@abeeroad...I eat it with breakfast, with biscuits or toast... if the kids don't get to it first.

OWL progress report:  This is my first report on my OWL, which is making a runic wall hanging for my grandchildren's Harry Potter inspired bedroom.
  I researched all the runes online and finally chose the Elder Futhark. 
The wall hanging will contain the rune as well as the name and letter it represents (so the kids can write secret notes, they say) on each line.  Since there are 24 runes, there will be 24 lines, with some Celtic knotwork at the top and a dragon at the bottom,  It took me almost a week to design the hanging, in order to get everything aligned just right.  I currently have the knotwork and 12 runes done.  So I guess that means I'm halfway done.  It is all done in 16th century blackwork. I haven't done blackwork in a long time, so I am relearning it.

I haven't gotten a picture of the last five runes I've done, but I will by next progress report.  Hope to have the wall hanging  done by the end of this month.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Helcura
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #632 on: July 19, 2013 10:04:53 PM »

That cherry dyed yarn is beautiful!  I never would have expected such a delicate color.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyLadyMJ

A crafting I'll go...

View Profile
« Reply #633 on: July 19, 2013 11:11:56 PM »

Im just swinging by to do a quick Newt update since it is Friday.  I have traced and cut out 306 squares and only a 128 to go before I start arranging them for sewing.  Also Im dropping off two assignments before I go.

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Transfiguration
House: Hufflepuff
Project Name: Opaleye Yoga Bag
Project Page Link:
Brief Description: Why, yes Hufflepuffs do yoga as well, it helps us stay nice and clam while Slysterns are causing trouble. Just kidding, yoga is just a part of my workout routine and I needed a new bag for my mat. So I grabbed some leftover balls of yarn off the shelf in my yarn cabinet and transform them into a colorful rainbow yoga bag inspired by the Antipodean Opaleye multi-colored eyes.
Its a 12x25inch crocheted, rainbow colored yoga bag. I use the crochet puff stitch or bobble stitch and the regular double crochet to create the bag and just double crochet for the strap. 

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Apparition
Project Name:  Dragon Breath Socks
Project Page Link:
Brief Description: I was roaming through my yarn stash when I accidently knocked over a small bottle of Common Welsh Green dragon breath on the table next to me. The cork popped off settling fire to my newly finished white socks.  I quickly cast the first spell that popped in my mind Reparo. Only something strange happen the socks were repaired but the flames from dragon breath are now forever imprinted on the socks.

Before my little accident, I loom knitted these socks on my sock loom. It only took one ball of 99c store yarn and they were quick to make.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Summer HPC 2013
No more cellphone headaches!
Abbeeroad
Tutorial Contributor

Liberal Tie-Dyed Tree Hugger

« Reply #634 on: July 20, 2013 05:56:19 AM »

Victor is soooo cute, Maman! You can ignore that question in my last PM now. I should have checked here first! Wink Beautiful.

Thanks netchez! I was curious. Now I totally want to try some!

Love the cherry dye pinks!!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013 05:58:10 AM by Abbeeroad » THIS ROCKS   Logged
midkiffsjoy
« Reply #635 on: July 20, 2013 07:03:57 AM »

I've been running around like a chicken with my head cut off all week, so I haven't had a chance to post.  I hope I've posted in time.  I know we have 2 weeks for each Bertie Bott, but I don't know if that's a 7 day week, or a 5 day week.  Lol  I tried posting yesterday, right up until 1am, but I after the intial 3 mins craftster just wouldn't load.  I think the kids may have gone over our bandwidth.  Was anyone else having a problem getting craftster to load? I can't wait to get home and actually look at what everyone's been doing!!!  I'm just posting and running to make the Farmer's Market. Cheesy

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Bertie Bott's Blackberry Challenge
Project Name: Blackberry
Project Page Link (if available):http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=425751.0#axzz2ZaJ28mnL
Brief Description: (how it fits the requirements, pattern/techniques/recipe used, any fun tips, etc.)  This is the first quilt I've worked on since 6th grade (2 and a half decades ago.... ).  I've wanted to quilt for EVER.  I've studied quilting.  I've gone to quilt shows.  I've designed quilts.  I once bought a quilter's ENTIRE book/magazine/pattern collection at a estate sale.  But I have never found the time to actually quilt.  I have been so inspired by everyone's quilting that I have decided to quilt a Harry Potter Craftalong Summer Semester quilt. Cheesy  This is my first quilt block.  The theme was Farmer's Market.  When I was growing up my Pawpa grew the best tasting water melons in 3 counties.  I hesitate to admit what all he traded his water melons for, but needless to say they were worth their weight in gold.  SO, In honor of him I made this quilt block.  The border is John Deere fabric, because he always drove a tractor, and it is pieced in the same way that I built my mother's first square foot garden beds 2 decades ago.  Smiley  The background fabric of the quilt block is flour sack cloth.  Smiley  The Sunbonnet Sue is wearing a dress actually cut from a pair of engineer overalls, which is what Pawpa ALWAYS wore.  Her shirt sleeve is from a men's dress shirt.  He always wore stripped men's shirts.  Her hat is cut from an actual red bandanna.  Every farmer wore one while I was growing up to keep the dust out of their face and dip in cool water on a hot day.  The one I cut this from I've been using since I was a young girl.  The red wagon she is pulling was also cut from this bandanna.  Smiley  The wagon's handle is black ribbon.  I've never sewn ribbon down.  That was fun and I'm excited about using ribbon in my future quilt squares.  I used vintage 1950's buttons for wagon wheels, and sewed them on with the white cotton thread that is used to sew shut feed sacks (yes I got it from an actual feed sack). The letters and all of the blanket stitch are sewn with embroidery thread.  I used 3 strands for the blanket stitching and 4 strands for the lettering.  In hindsight I would have liked to use feed sack thread for the lettering.  I had been afraid, at the time, that it would have been too thick.  After I was done I decided that I probably could have used it and it would have been fine.  The blackberry between the lettering is iridescent seed beads sewn down one at a time. Smiley  The different fabric pieces were cut out of fabric with an iron of fusible webbing backing, and then glued on and sewn around.  I read a lot about people using double sided fusible webbing, but this is what I had and farmer's use what they have on hand.  I feel really guilt for not turning and stitching the edges, Aunt Bendina would have a stern word for me if she were still alive, but I think I did pretty good for my first pictorial quilt block I've ever done. Smiley
Project Picture:

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Quidditch Portkey
Project Name: Garden Spider Home
Project Page Link (if available): http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=425752.0#axzz2ZaJ28mnL
Brief Description: (how it fits the requirements, pattern/techniques/recipe used, any fun tips, etc.) 20 years ago I saw a spider home in a garden boutique catalog and thought it was absolutely adorable.  But the price tag was not.  I could not afford it and I remember thinking I could probably build that.  And I've been thinking that for 2 decades, always afraid to actually attempt it.  The Harry Potter Craftalong Portkey project provided me with the proper motivation try.  First I took a piece of the kids' finger painting paper (it's bigger than copy paper) and made a square.  Then I folded that square into an octagon.  When I had an octagon I cut the far edge of the folded octagon the width of of lumber, which happened to be just under 1 1/2.  When I opened the trimmed octagon I had the outline of my spider home. Smiley  I cut one side of the octagon out and then I had my pattern! Smiley  I traced the pattern onto my lumber and cut the pieces out with my scroll saw.  I TRIED to toe nail the pieces together at the top.  This did NOT work as well as I would have liked.  I discovered that laying the two pieces I was trying to connect on the floor and then toenailing them from the side worked REALLY well.  I used a brad gun.  I nailed each piece from both sides.  I drilled a hole for my dowel into one piece before  started nailing the pieces together.  I both glued and nailed the dowel into place.  I'm very excited that I was able to build something I've wanted to build for so long.  Smiley  It's placed out in my garden for easy access. Smiley  It will undoubtly save HUNDREDS in gas money each month!!!  lol Smiley
Project Picture:

Class/Challenge/House Pride: *S.P.E.W.* Days for Girls *S.P.E.W*
Project Name: Days for Girls Moon Pads
Project Page Link (if available):
Brief Description: (how it fits the requirements, pattern/techniques/recipe used, any fun tips, etc.) I sewed 8 more pads for Days for Girls. Smiley I love doing these because I can whip them up in the evening while the kids are watching their movie. Smiley
Project Picture:
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster.  Justifying my need for a craft room. Cheesy

Cheesy !!!!Let's go Hufflepuff Let's go!!!! Cheesy
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

~*Craftster formerly known as jennieingram*~

I really need a Sonic Seam Ripper.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #636 on: July 20, 2013 10:50:04 AM »

~*NEWT PROPOSAL*~
NEWT Subject: Muggle Studies
House: Gryffindor
Project Name: Food Preservation is Magic

Brief Description:
For my next NEWT project I will be delving into how Muggles preserve summer food without the use of magic.  Since this is a NEWT level project, I will be covering a broad range of foods and techniques, including Infusing, Pickling and Preserving to create flavored vinegars and alcohols, pickles, condiments, preserves, and mixes.  In order to learn about where my own comfort zone lies, I will be using both small batch and large batch recipes.  Some items will be created solely by me, and some will be created with a friend, to make light work of larger batches.  Since many of my creations will become holiday gifts, part of my studies will include creating custom packaging and labels in Photoshop for all of the items.  

As all of these food creations will depend upon what is currently available at my Farmers Market, some planned recipes may change, or be substituted during the course of the NEWT.  The total number of projects will remain the same however.  There will be a minimum of 7-11 individual food projects, and labels & packaging for each, with the possibility for more batches of the same recipes or batches of new recipes as my skills grow.  

While I am posting this at noon, I actually have already started earlier this morning, by attending my local market to pick up the berries and bourbon for two of the infusions.  I have to say, Im almost sad to use up the blackberries I just purchased, because they are the most *BERRY* flavored berries Ive EVER tried!  They are sweet and complex, and almost caramel-like.  Which I suppose will blend well with the Kentucky Bourbon. Smiley

Infusions: 2-3 Projects. These will be started during Week 1, in order to give them proper time to steep.
   Infused Vinegar - Raspberry Vinegar from Put Em Up!, page 127 - STARTED 7/20/13; STRAINED 7/28/13
   Infused Vinegar - Chive Vinegar from Put Em Up!, page 211
   Infused Alcohol - Blackberry Bourbon from Put Em Up!, page 128 - STARTED 7/20/13; STRAINED 7/28/13

Pickles: 2-3 Projects. These will be created during Week 2 & 3, made with available friends.
   Traditional Cucumber Dill Spears - Large Batch (6 qts.) from Ball pickling spice directions, with Amanda P. on 7/26/13 - DID AN EXTRA 2 QT. BATCH AS WELL
   An alternate vegetable, such as Green Beans and/or Carrots with Amber T. on 7/27/13
      Dilly Beans - Small Batch (4 pints) from Food In Jars, page 123
      Dilled Carrots - Small Batch (3 pints) from Put Em Up!, page 147; DONE ON 7/28/13

Condiments: 1-2 Projects. These will be created during Week 1 & 3, with available friends.
   Heirloom Tomato Salsa - Small Batch (3 pints + 1 cup extra) from Put Em Up!, page 276 DONE on 7/20/13
   Garden Salsa - Large Batch (5 pints) from Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving with Amber T. DONE on 7/27/13 (note 1 jar did not seal)
   Jalapeno Salsa - Large Batch (6 half pints) from Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving with Amber T. DONE on 7/27/13 (note 3 jars did not seal)

Carmalized Red Onion Relish - Small Batch (3 pints) from Food In Jars
   Zucchini Relish - Undecided on specific recipe

Jam/Preserve: 1 Project. This will be created during Week 2 & 3, with available friends.
   Wine Jelly from Reid's Livery Norton Wine - Small Batch (4 half pints) from Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving
   Ginger Zucchini Marmalade - Small Batch (4 half-pints) with Amber T. from Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving, page 104

Dry Goods Jars: 1-2 Projects. These will be made in Week 4.  I may go with only the Minestrone Soup Mix, and save the Toffee Blondies Mix until later in the fall, when there is less risk of melty chocolate chips. Both are recipes from the internet and have links below.
   Toffee Blondies In a Jar Mix
   Minestrone Soup In a Jar Mix
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013 07:43:39 PM by jennieingram » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie's Etsy | Pinterest | Harry Potter Craftalong - Spring Semester

It does not due to dwell on dreams and forget to craft.
DragonChilde

Head of Slytherin House

View Profile
« Reply #637 on: July 20, 2013 01:28:14 PM »

jennieingram If you have any questions, feel free to contact me. I am not so knowledgeable on pickles and condiments but I am very familiar with infusions (an infusion using alcohol is called a tincture, an infusion is usually water). I mostly make infusion and the like for medicinal purposes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Don't shed a tear for me/I stand alone/This path of destiny/Is all my own ~Blackmore's Night "Olde Village Lanterne"
Spring Harry Potter Craftalong
pinkleo
Crochet Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

~*HPC Headmistress*~

lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch

« Reply #638 on: July 20, 2013 02:50:12 PM »

Pinkleo, What a great idea to use the cherries to dye yarn! I may give that a go - or try with blueberries... or any berries lol. How does that wash?
I haven't washed this skein yet...will be due for a felting soon.  But from previous gos, I would say it washes as well as any of my other dyed wool (meaning the color stays). Grin  (also from every time I have ever got cherry juice on my clothes, I would say it is very, very permanent! Cheesy)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AnnoyingBigSister

EEVEE FOREVER!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #639 on: July 20, 2013 03:05:37 PM »

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Bertie Bott's Blackberry Challenge
House: Huffelpuff
Project Name: Fruit Basket Without The Basket    
Project Page Link (if available):
Brief Description: (how it fits the requirements, pattern/techniques/recipe used, any fun tips, etc.)I made a bunch of fruit and veggies with clay.  The fruit includes a slice of watermelon, a slice of cantaloupe, a slice of honeydew, a Bartlet pear, an Asian pear, a banana, and an orange.  The veggies include a squash and a pumpkin.
Project Picture:
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 110 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Mary Higgins Clark: The Queen of Suspense
What Did Thatcher and Churchill Have in Common?
Five Ways to Improve Your Respiratory System
Clay Walker’s Jesus Was a Country Boy
Black Roses by Jane Thynne Book Trailer
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...