A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 301,506
Currently Running With Scissors:
439 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 110
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: CLOSED-HP Craftalong ~Summer Semester 2013~  (Read 126437 times)
Tags for this thread: harry_potter  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Moonflame
« Reply #350 on: June 23, 2013 04:30:21 PM »

Class/Challenge/House Pride:History of Magic
House: Huffledypuff!
Project Name: Secrets of the Night
Brief Description: My youngest has been wanting one of those fake book boxes for ages, and I happened to find a BLANK one at Salvation Army for 99 cents!  I've done it up like a potions book for her Hogwarts-inspired room. Smiley  How it relates to the class: the black and the purple night-time papers I used for the covers symbolise the victory of the Holly King over the Oak King, and the progression towards longer nights.  Gold (used for the spine bands) is one of the colours of Midsummer.  Yellow (the felt lining) is also associated with Midsummer.  I used a crescent moon brad to camouflage the hanging loop at the top of the medallion, and the combo resulted in a shape that is the same as the symbol for the Horned God.  Both the Holly King and the Oak king can be viewed as different aspects of the Horned God. Smiley
Project Picture: I only thought to take a "before" pic after I'd started in with a bit of Mod Podge. :-P  And now that I see these pics, I've noticed that I need to sand away a little more of the black tissue paper that wrapped around the edges.  Undecided

Now I need to go back and see all the stuff everyone else has been doing!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013 05:34:49 PM by Moonflame - Reason: cornish pixie-induced typos! » THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Moonflame
Moonflame
« Reply #351 on: June 23, 2013 06:11:42 PM »

Oh my goodness, everyone has been so busy!

TechnicolorAquahearts your taffy looks delicious!  Does it take long to pull it?  I remember seeing machines pulling it in the windows of a candy store in San Francisco.  I can't imagine doing it by hand.  And your peacock cake is AMAZING!!!  Your quorn nachos are brilliant!!

Audania1 Your banana bread and burritos are making me hungry even though I just ate!  Your yarn bowl is GORGEOUS!  I would never have thought of that!  I would just have assumed the bowl would crack.  That is so cool!

Pottermouth your yarn dyeing has me drooling.  Do you buy yarn or spin it?  I can't believe how gorgeous it is!  Can it be washed?  Ooh, and your glow in the dark patronus purse is awesome!  You should charm it to be bigger on the inside.  Grin

Molly Merula  you know how much I loved your notmints, because I ate so many of them.  I love how scatteredd mine were, and how neatly you lined yours up.   Cheesy

Erin Aquaheart the s'mores cookies!  Oh MY!  And your care bear necklace is so cute!  The shiny star pops are awesome!  I LOVE that shimmer powder.  Where do you find it?

Listessa WELCOME! (because I don't think I've said it yet!) and WOW!  Your beadwork is incredible!  And that quilt you are resurrecting - what a big project!  I have one that needs it, too.  My mom gave me on old quilt top she'd made, and it's up to me to get it back in running order.

Dragonchilde LOVE the Slytherin bracelets - especially how you found a way to use your grandma's hospital bracelet!

Noodlebug  That card is lovely!  It made me want to get out my embroidery stuff again!

Jennieingram your shrines are so amazing and inspiring!  And that carnelian bracelet is so beautiful.  I bet your friend will adore it! Smiley  Oh, and the drunken cherry almond cake is inspired!

Tiamatfire I'd never thought of putting cherries on a salad before, but I use craisins in salads, so I bet we'd like cherries, too!  What an awesome idea!  Oh, and it's so crazy about the honey lime strawberries, because just last week I got the crazy idea to start drizzling lime juice on cut up fruit and sprinkling it with a little raw sugar.   Smiley

Ant Bee your quilt looks so snuggly!  And it was a great use of stash, too!

Naantje  I was so sorry to read about your sweet Kjara.  We had to euthanise a kitty last winter, and our old girl, Enya (who was 18!!), the year before that.  Now a neighbourhood kitty sits on their graves every morning, and I like to think that he can sense them and commune with their spirits. Smiley  It is so very hard to lose such a special friend.  I hope you can find some comfort in memories of all the lovely times you had together. (((hug)))

THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Moonflame
Listessa
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Summertime Slacker Crafter

Buried in Beads!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #352 on: June 23, 2013 06:44:46 PM »

Naantje, I am so very sorry for both the loss of your grandmother and Kjara!  She looks like she was such a fluffy love.  Sad 
I'm so glad that you are working through your grief, and have a loving fianc to help you through it.  It is very exciting to see the start on your OWL!  Your remembrance quilt looks like it is going to be so very soft and comforting.  Your grandmother would be very proud to see how you are honoring her memory!

Moonflame, thanks so much!  I have a massive seed bead and other super tiny bead obsession.  Some of the little projects I have intermittently are going to be gifts for birthdays and Christmas too.  I'm trying to get a jump on things now so I don't get too backed up and stressed when winter hits. 
I admit, I'm having a ball on my quilt!  It's a lot of fun, plus I love getting to use pretty fabric and make something neat. 
Your book box is AMAZING.  I love the jewel and your theme is fantastic too!  That was a serious score at the Salvation Army too.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking to de-stash cross stitch magazines, particularly Cross Stitch Gold or New Stitches?  Please drop me a line!  I'd love to swap or buy some missing from my library!
netchez
« Reply #353 on: June 23, 2013 07:10:09 PM »

Class: Charms, the Gouging Spell, Defodio
House: Ravenclaw
Ravenclaw extra credit... charms, maybe??
Project Name: Summer Fun
Project Page Link (if available):
Brief Description: We were celebrating the beginning of summer and the fact that I have 2 dgc with birthdays this month.  They saw my onions and wanted me to do something for them... but bigger!  So I began searching for something and lo and behold... there was Viktor Krum coming out of the water in the Tri-Wizard's Tournament!  So I took out my wand and called Defodio at a watermelon! Lo and behold, the shark appeared, gouged out of the watermelon.

The kids were impressed and wanted me to do another so I took a small watermelon and called Defodio again, not having a picture in my mind... and it blew up!  That was so not what I wanted, so I tried again, this time picturing a flower and...

this was gouged out that watermelon.  
Now I know that I need more practice with my wand and charms, but it was fun and a good time was had by all.

Class: Astronomy
Ravenclaw Astronomy extra credit
Project Name: The Constellation LYRA and the Weaver Girl, Vega
Project Page Link (if available):
Brief Description: (Studying the summer night sky and thinking about the stars... DD had told me there was a star for a weaver.  I did some research about the stars I had seen and discovered that VEGA was named the Weaver Girl in Chinese folklore.  I am a weaver and so felt a kinship with that star.  To commemorate that myth, I poured a stepping stone for my garden with "glow in the dark" stars and sparkles to represent the Milky Way.  The largest star is Vega.

and here is the night view of my stars.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013 07:16:14 PM by netchez » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Listessa

Buried in Beads!

« Reply #354 on: June 23, 2013 08:43:31 PM »

AHH!  GLOW IN THE DARK!  Total love for your stars, netchez.  Cheesy 
Plus your watermelon carvings are awesome.  The flower is pretty, and shark-Viktor watermelon is fabulous! 

Class/Challenge/House Pride:  July Detention:  Kitchen Duty
Project Name:  Pico Style Salsa
Brief Description:  It has been so hot around here even the fire salamanders have been trying to find cooler digs, and the phoenixes are skipping ahead to flames during their happy adult hood- before even loosing feathers, this detention really worked for me.

This is all to taste, so feel free to play with the recipe as you wish.  These proportions made a good amount in the large Gladwear box as you can see from the picture. 

Pico Style Salsa with Corn
5 Roma Tomatos
1/2 Red Onion
1/2 Sweet Onion
5 or 6 Garlic Cloves
1 Handful of Cilantro
4 or 5 Jalapeno or whatever hot pepper you prefer (I'm a hot pepper wuss.)
Dash of True Lemon
Dash of True Lime
Pinch of Salt (if needed)
2 Ears of fresh corn removed from the cobs- or 1 can of Nibblets

I chopped roma tomatoes, both types of onion, garlic, cilantro leaves, and 5 jalapenos*.  (I seed the jalapenos, I don't like super hot salsa, that's optional.  I think these were very mild so I did throw a few seeds in here and there for some zip this time.  YMMV, make it to taste).  Make sure the cilantro gets chopped quite fine, same with the garlic.  I also prefer my peppers super fine.  If you wish to add sweet peppers, go crazy.  I'm not fond of peppers so I leave them out.

I also cheated and added a can of corn nibblets (the fresh corn looked mangy), since I like corn in salsa.  Finally I tossed a couple of dashes of both True Lemon and True Lime over the top, if needed I'll add a pinch of salt later on. 

Mix the heck out of it, and make sure you taste it.  Veggies can differ SO much- I tend to add my hot items a little at a time, since you can always add more, but you can't take it out.  If you think it has promise, securely lid it up and toss it in the fridge for the following day.  I can't stress enough how much more awesome this stuff tastes after sitting overnight.

*I always wear disposable gloves when dealing with hot peppers.  I had a bad experience when I itched my eye after chopping some without gloves, and managed to sting the heck out of a small cut in my finger.  Swore off hot pepper recipes for ages after that.  Disposable gloves are the bomb-diddly-yo.   

Project Picture: 

It's so hard not to go crazy and eat it tonight.  It came out really well as is.  This will be awesome for the rest of the week.  I guess it will be in the 90s. Ick!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking to de-stash cross stitch magazines, particularly Cross Stitch Gold or New Stitches?  Please drop me a line!  I'd love to swap or buy some missing from my library!
Audania1
Christmas crafting all year round...

Magic always comes with a price

« Reply #355 on: June 23, 2013 10:08:00 PM »

@ Listessa I used a diamond tip. First, I filled the sink/tub with enough water to cover where the hole was that I was drilling so the heat from the tool wouldnt make the ceramic crack or shatter. I started with a very VERY thin cone shaped tip. Once I got it started and had a good depth (hold on tight and steady because this is going to want to scoot all over the bowl at first) I switched to a rounder and thicker one.  Make sure you swish new cooler water over the drill site every now and then. I bet the plasti-dip would totally work. I just grabbed what was next to me lol.
And great job on your quilt repairs! Woohoo! And delicious salsa! This may sound funny, but are you in California? Im near Sacramento and that is totally our weather right now lol.

@ Noodle-bug - I love the card! Nice threading.

@ Jennieingram I love those shrines! The tea one would go perfectly over my kitchen table And that charm bracelet is beautiful. Carnelian is such a pretty stone. And when I go to the farmers market on Saturday, I am totally buying cherries just for your recipe haha.

@Pottermouth That patronus coin purse is so cute. The whispies totally give it an ethereal look.

@ Tiamatfire Yummy salad! Me wants! And those honey-lime strawberries look and sound so tastey. Super cute dragonfly!

@ Antbee I love your baby blanket. Way to bust the stash! I am on a mission to do that myself. 8 or 9 years? Pfft. Whatever. Plus, your dog is awesome.

@Naanje I am so sorry. Poor kitty! My best friend had to do the same thing this week. But bravo on kicking off your OWL!

@ Moonflame That book is just stunning and you can make me one any time.

@ Netchez Love the watermelon artwork! Great job! I love that your astronomy project glows!

And hooray for the new bean!! Hmm gonna have to figure something out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Listessa

Buried in Beads!

« Reply #356 on: June 23, 2013 11:31:12 PM »

@ Listessa I used a diamond tip. First, I filled the sink/tub with enough water to cover where the hole was that I was drilling so the heat from the tool wouldnt make the ceramic crack or shatter. I started with a very VERY thin cone shaped tip. Once I got it started and had a good depth (hold on tight and steady because this is going to want to scoot all over the bowl at first) I switched to a rounder and thicker one.  Make sure you swish new cooler water over the drill site every now and then. I bet the plasti-dip would totally work. I just grabbed what was next to me lol.
And great job on your quilt repairs! Woohoo! And delicious salsa! This may sound funny, but are you in California? Im near Sacramento and that is totally our weather right now lol.

Thanks!  That's great to know your drilling technique.  I'm totally going to have to try that in the future when I snag a cool bowl!  I know what you mean about water to cool and lube.  Whenever I have to drill holes in tile or cement walls at work, I spend half the time splashing water on the hole and bit regardless of what kind of bit I use! 
Really good idea with the nail polish too.  I don't know if I would have thought to use it, and I have some at hand specifically for craftie things too. 

Thanks so much!  Actually I'm in Fairbanks, AK.  I guess it's about the same all over the country- I just talked with my Mom who is in Maine right now (from New Hampshire) and she said it was the same in both places back East too.  We are all cooking together!
Crazy weather.  I envy you guys down there though, it gets dark.  The darn sun won't go away up here.  Wink  Honestly I wouldn't mind it so much if I didn't have to work.  I get on a project jag in the evenings, so I'll look up and notice it's nearly midnight before I even realize it is late.   

I have another small bead thing going on tonight, it's a little late to haul out everything for cutting so I'll have a time filler.   Grin  I just know if I bring it out I will be up until 3 AM or something getting really into it and starting to sew again.  Not fun when I need to wake up at 6. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Naantje
« Reply #357 on: June 24, 2013 04:31:14 AM »

Class: Defense against the dark arts
House: Slytherin
Project Name: A chain to pull you from the marshes
Brief Description:
As I wrote yesterday, I've been struggling quite a lot lately, everything I did was becoming exceedingly hard. I believe that I had let myself mistakingly be guided by a hinkypunk, believing that its fickle light would bring me to safety, while it was just dragging me deeper into the marshes. I penned down a sketch of the little pest, and made a matching chain for the cameo pendant I inherited from my grandmother. I didn't have any gold chains, only silvery ones, and that really doesn't do it justice! So out I went and I bought 40cm of gold-coloured chain and a matching closure, I pulled out my jewellery thongs and gave the pendant a beautiful chain to hang from. The making of the chain itself was a very quick and simple craft, but also very rewarding. I think I can pull on this to get me out of the swamps and into greener pastures!
Project Picture:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

My 50 in '14

Calling all talented witches and wizards to join us in the Winter Semester of the Harry Potter Craftalong.
Moonflame
« Reply #358 on: June 24, 2013 07:27:30 AM »

Netchez your watermelon creations are stunning! 

Listessa YUM! to that salsa!  Oh, and my dh made that same mistake with peppers and eyes.  Ow! Embarrassed  (He also made that mistake with a tree frog.  Apparently they secrete something very unpleasant to your eyes, so now we remember to wash thoroughly after handling critters before rubbing an itchy eye!)

Naantje  The cameo looks so lovely on the chain.  You did a beautiful job. Smiley

Challenge: June detention in the dungeons
House: Hufflepuff
Project Name: Fructus mirabilus
Description: I've made a bunch of crockpotty (ew, LOL!) goodness but kept forgetting to take pics before it was all devoured!  This morning, I made a Gluten-Free parfait that really hit the spot, so I'll use it for detention before the month is over.  (Already?!?!?)  For this gluten-free breakfast, I sliced apricots, added blueberries and blackberries, then tossed them all with a little lime juice and sugar.  I layered this with vanilla yoghurt and Bear Naked fruit and nut granola.  Yums!

Now I'm off to craft for dh's birthday. (It's tomorrow!!  Shocked )
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Moonflame
patty_o_furniture

May the force be ever in your favor, Mr. Potter.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #359 on: June 24, 2013 08:15:58 AM »

Great looking parfait!  Yumness!  And love the shark watermelon LOL
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 110 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Who Wore The Givenchy Leather Skirt Best: Kim Kardashian or Kanye West?
Who Wore It Best: Jennifer Lawrence or Lara Stone In Red Calvin Klein
Reveal of the Santa Claus Makeover
4 Different Ways To Wear Leather Pants
Anne Hathaway Has Wardrobe Malfunction At Les Miserables Premiere
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Mirror Wall
January 21, 2015 Featured Projects
January 21st is Squirrel Appreciation Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...