A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 298,066
Currently Running With Scissors:
536 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 110
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: CLOSED-HP Craftalong ~Summer Semester 2013~  (Read 120555 times)
Tags for this thread: harry_potter  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

FiberAlchemist
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Wit Beyond Measure

View Profile WWW
« Reply #330 on: June 21, 2013 11:58:42 AM »

@jenleahlynn - Your banners turned out wonderfully!  All the work you have done with your VBS is amazing!
@Erin - Great Jewelry!  I cannot imagine how long it took to cut and color all those small pieces!
@WhistleFish - Conrats on WotW!!
@BigSister - What great clay work! Lovely!
@Technicolor - I love your peacock cake.
@Audania - I love using the slow cooker to make pork for burritos; but I've never added sweet potatoes to the burritos.  I'm going to have to try this.
@pottermouth - I never knew you could dye yarn in a crock pot, yours is beautiful!  I'm going to have to find my spare crock and try this too.
@Molly - Welcome to Ravenclaw!!  I have the Liddabit cookbook and I love it too; and buttermints are some of my favorite things (even non-minty ones)  Wink
@Listessa - Another great pen from you! It reminds me of Brave too!
@DragonChilde - What lovely bracelets and such a wonderful way to pay tribute to your grandmother.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Listessa

Summertime Slacker Crafter

Buried in Beads!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #331 on: June 21, 2013 12:49:29 PM »

Listessa- I am so jealous!!!  Your beading looks like so much fun!!!  I havent been able to bead since AnnoyingBigSister was an AnnoyingOnlyChild (she LOVED cutting the warp threads on my loom and watching all the beads bounce to the floor).  lol  I'm planning on beading for Alchemy, so I'm crossing my fingers. Smiley

Thanks!  When I'm not designing patterns it really relaxes me.  The May Pole style one is the only one I've designed that came out, and just the geometric weave style nearly made me nuts.  Smiley  Beading from nice patterns is so soothing, plus I'm building up my stash of gifts for people so it won't be such a crunch when more birthdays and holidays start happening again. 

Oh no!  I'd just about cry over loomwork on the floor!  I used to un-knit my mom's knitting when I was really young.  She was so upset once when I unravled a nearly finished mitten.   I wound it up properly into nice yarn balls though!   Grin

Drop me a line if you need a hand for Alchemy too!  Are you planning on some loomwork or off-loom stitching?  I can't wait to see what you make!  After I finish my OWL quilt, I want to try some more 3D beading to make a different box in a new technique. 

DragonChilde  I LOVE the bracelet set, they really complement each other, and the dragonscale weave is just awesome.  Love the Slythern green too, and the ID band bracelet is such a neat concept and memory of your grandmother. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking to de-stash cross stitch magazines, particularly Cross Stitch Gold or New Stitches?  Please drop me a line!  I'd love to swap or buy some missing from my library!
Audania1
Christmas crafting all year round...

Magic always comes with a price

« Reply #332 on: June 21, 2013 02:44:22 PM »

Oh my look at that exposion of awesomeness! All of those treats and candies! The castle! The yarn and the beads! My goodness you guys are busy!

Audania1- I have that pattern!!!  I can't wait to see what you do with it!!! Cheesy  The only doll making I've done in the last 20 years has been The Praire Flower doll, but I love dolls so I'm excited for you.  AnnoyingBigSister and I love the Laura Ingalls Wilder series too. Smiley  If you're in Texas y'all should check out Barrington farm!!! Smiley  And ohhhhhhhh Shreaded pork.  Now I'm hungry. Smiley

Oh how cool! And I don't live in Texas but my mom does. Maybe when we plan a trip out there.... :-D

I have some updating for my Advanced Studies Friday. For my Newt, it's gonna be tough. Like holy crap tough.  Not one pattern is her exact size so that will be rough. Two of the three patterns are thankfully only one size off so can trace right onto the fabric the next size up. The really hard one, though, is the one I have to get done first and that is four sizes off.  *sigh*. I have the paper pattern pieces cut for two of the three patterns and will have the third cut by the end of the day. Next week will be spent drafting the correct size for the doozy.

For my OWL, I have the doll body parts all cut out of pattern and fabric and the face embroidered on. I will have the fabric cut for her clothes by Sunday night and Elli and I should be able to start sewing on Monday or Tuesday. I forgot that I will have to thread her hair (yarn) and that is going to be tough so Im not sure how long that will take or how much extra time it may or may not add onto my OWL.

And now for a project!!

Class: Charms
House: Ravenclaw
Project Name: Yarn bowl
Link: None
Description: I literally gouged three holes into the side of this bowl with my handy Black and Decker. Afterward, I used some clear nail polish on the raw holes to keep them from being rough. This bowl is going to help me keep my yarn balls in one place while I crochet so I dont have to chase them all over the friggin couch or floor. Yay!!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Molly Merula
« Reply #333 on: June 21, 2013 04:31:26 PM »

Thanks, everyone! The butternotmints have all vanished now, so it shouldn't be too long before we're forced to make something new. . .

I do have numerous other projects in the works, too, so I should be able to post pictures of Things sometime soon!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pinkleo
Crochet Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

~*HPC Headmistress*~

lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #334 on: June 21, 2013 04:53:52 PM »

There is a new notice up in the Astronomy Tower.
squeeeeee & huzzah for Professor Challenge!
♥LOVE♥
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Listessa

Summertime Slacker Crafter

Buried in Beads!

« Reply #335 on: June 21, 2013 05:18:48 PM »

Audania1- I love the yarn bowl!  Great idea!  Did you use a tile/glass bit to make the holes or a regular one?  I've always been afraid of totally shattering a ceramic bowl to do something like that with it.  Very handy.  I love the idea of using clear nail polish to cover the rough spots.  I never would have thought of that- the first thing that came to mind for me was some of that tool plasti-dip stuff that you can use to make regular pliers into soft jaw pliers.

Molly Merula- I keep looking back at your buttermint post.  I can totally understand why they vanished all ready!  They just sound so great!  I can't wait to see what you make next.

Since it's Advanced Studies Friday, here's the update on my quilt reconstruction. 

All of the good strips that didn't need any repair on their seams. 

There are the strips that needed some block repair.  I took them apart, evened out the blocks, used some of the fray check stuff on the edges, and made the first stitches to put them together.  Unfortunately until today it was too hot to break out the iron, so I had a standstill for a little bit. 

I'm ironing today since it cooled off and rained!  Then I can get them completely back together and start cutting some of my brand new squares to enlarge the quilt a bit. 
I might end up completing my OWL a little later than planned, thanks to it being too hot to iron when needed!  I guess we have another week to sweat, as it's predicted to be in the 90s.  Yuck!  Ah well, other, cooler small projects in the interim...

The Astronomy Project is so intriguing!   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking to de-stash cross stitch magazines, particularly Cross Stitch Gold or New Stitches?  Please drop me a line!  I'd love to swap or buy some missing from my library!
SiakelA
Summer is finally here again!

Wit beyond measure...

« Reply #336 on: June 21, 2013 06:57:33 PM »

I am loving the braceles, the quilt, and especially the yarn bowl! Beauty AND function is my favorite!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

noodle-bug

equal parts love and evil laughter

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #337 on: June 22, 2013 05:23:53 AM »

Class: Transfiguration
Ravenclaw extra credit: Flying
House; ravenclaw
Project:
I decided to focus on the turkish dragon Illuyankas, by making this card which has a turkish birthday message on it.
The gods tried to defeat Illuyankas using first rain - which Illuyankas evaporated into clouds, then the sun (Illuyankas simply shaded himself with one enormous wing)... and we all know that rain and sun together for a rainbow, so I also added a little rainbow decoration at the bottom

THIS ROCKS   Logged

My 50 things in 2014 challenge!
I'm always up for swapping hexies or TM patches (or anything, really!) - PM me Cheesy
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

~*Craftster formerly known as jennieingram*~

I really need a Sonic Seam Ripper.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #338 on: June 22, 2013 12:01:00 PM »

Class: Apparition
House: Gryffindor
Project Name: Tea Time Shrine

Project Page: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=424810.0#axzz2Wy78JUu8
Brief Description: This shrine was created for Pinkleo in the Shrine Swap.

The best part?  Everything came from my stash!  The frame is the top of a wooden box (now I need to find a use for the bottom!) which I stained using wood stain markers.  The inside is a piece of scrapbooking paper that I had lying around, and inspired the color scheme for the shrine: pink, maroon & brown. The words are made from large-hole wooden beads, used in kids crafts. The pocket watch charm was the right diameter, but kind of thin depth-wise, so I backed it with a wooden disk I found in my box of wood supplies and that I painted silver to match.  The paper flower petals and wooden teacup were left over from supplies I bought for my Altered Spell Book, and touched up with some Smooch and colored pencils.  The glitter was left over from a Martha Stewart card making kit, and finally the metal corners were part of a bunch of stuff I got from Vintaj Salvage on Etsy a few months ago.
Project Picture:

Class: Arithmancy
Project Name: Shrine to the Goddess of Crafty Inspiration

Project Page: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=424808.0#axzz2Wy78JUu8
Brief Description: Curse Breakers work in dangerously complicated situations, and this project is nothing short of dangerously complicated itself!  It included painting, crackling, sanding, distressing, gluing, gathering, stamping, and highlighting and due to all the layers of paint, glue, etc, it took an entire week to put together!
Project Picture:

Class: Study of Ancient Runes
Project Name: Shakespeare Shrine

Project Page: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=424809.0#axzz2Wy78JUu8
Brief Description: This is the last of the shrines I made pinkleo, and was based off her request for anything Shakespeare related.  The base is an ATC Shrine Kit from Tiny Things are Cute, along with the tiny books and tankard.  The image of Shakespeare himself is actually a vintage cigarette card from 1924.  Yep, its just about 90 years old!  The bits and bobs all came out of my stash. The scroll of paper at the top reads, He was not of an age, but for all time.  Many of the items are references to famous lines from Shakespeares plays. Details are on the project post!

Project Picture:

Challenge: Cheering for the Cannons
Project Name: Carnelian Energy Bracelet

Brief Description: This bracelet was made for a friend, who creates and gives energy wherever she goes.  It is made of carnelian, which is a stone thought to create energy, and the charm on the clasp features a sun on one side, and says create on the other.
Project Picture:

Class: Herbology
Project Name: Drunken Cherry Almond Cake
Project Page: Inspired by recipe found at the Joy of Baking
Brief Description:  I had some cherries left over from making Cherry Bounce, which is a cherry liqueur made from bourbon. I altered this recipe slightly, by soaking my cherries in some extra bourbon for 3 hours before making the cake,  hence the "Drunken" component. 

Project Picture:

Drunken Cherry Almond Cake

1/2 cup (113 grams) unsalted butter
1/2-3/4 pound (350 grams) fresh sweet cherries, divided
1 cup (130 grams) all purpose flour
1/2 cup (55 grams) almond meal
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
3/4 cup (150 grams) granulated white sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon pure almond extract (optional)
1/3 cup (80 ml) milk (or non-dairy almond milk!)
bourbon to cover the cherries

Rinse, dry, and pit all the cherries.  Next, place them in a stain-proof bowl, and pour on enough bourbon to cover them.  Allow to soak for a few hours.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Butter, or spray with a non stick cooking spray, an 8 or 9 inch cake pan or glass pan.

In a small saucepan, melt the butter. Remove from heat and set aside to cool to room temperature.

Drain the cherries.  (Use the bourbon in something delicious, like a Honey Bourbon Lemonade.) Take about 14 of them (about 1/3), cut them in half, and set them aside (place on a sheet of paper towel, cutside down) to be placed on the top of the cake during baking. To the rest of the cherries, cut into quarters (to be folded into the cake batter).

In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, ground almonds, baking powder, and salt.

In the bowl of your electric mixer (or with a hand mixer), beat the eggs and sugar until thick and light colored (about 3-5 minutes). Beat in the vanilla extract and almond extract (if using). Then fold in, with a rubber spatula or wire whisk, the melted and cooled butter and milk just until incorporated. Next, fold in the flour mixture just until moistened. Gently fold in the quartered cherries (not the cherries that you have halved for the top of the cake). Pour the batter into the prepared pan, smoothing the top with an offset spatula or back of a spoon.

Bake for 12 minutes then remove from oven. Quickly arrange the remaining cherries, cut side down, on the top of the cake. Return the cake to the oven and bake for a further 15-20 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the cake portion comes out clean. If you find the cake over browning, cover with a piece of aluminum foil.

Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool slightly (about 10-15 minutes).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie's Etsy | Facebook | Pinterest | Harry Potter Craftalong

It does not due to dwell on dreams and forget to craft.
pottermouth

I like Kit-Kat, unless I'm with 4 or more people.

« Reply #339 on: June 22, 2013 02:52:55 PM »

House Pride: Ravenclaw House Pride
House: Ravenclaw
Project Name: Patronus Purse
Brief Description: This silly coin purse clasp has been in the stash for eons, so today was the day to make use of it. Pulled out the black linen, embroidery floss, and the "signature" spacey fabric that I STILL have (it's on the inside) so this was a super stash busting project.
I'm not thrilled with it, but that's what happens when you try to cram in a project while your kids are making bracelets...

And in the sort-of dark:
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 110 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Stretch Paper in Watercolor Painting
Sanctum Cast Interviews
How to Draw a Football
How to Sketch Chibi Hair
How to Draw a Strong Man
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...